flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 26, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #12,871 of 39,414
What has this thread become? Is this Nic's BOTL IEM shootout thread? Have we no cash?
I certainly don't, just moved country and bought a new car. :p

But yeah, I did it! I escaped prison London! :D
Corgi.gif

Now I need to start catching up on all the great reviews and impressions I saw floating passed while I was tunnelling my way out of London.

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #12,872 of 39,414
Legend X | Flamenco | SE5U

can you offer some short comparison between those 3 iems (and their synergy with wm1a) ?

thanx
I compared all three in my award-winning review here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/empire-ears-legend-x.22927/reviews#review-20532, but I'll do a TLDR version as well.

Bass quantity LX > SE5U > F
Bass texture/quality SE5U > LX > F
Lower mids quality SE5U > LX > F
Upper mids quality F > SE5U > LX
Treble extension F > SE5U > LX
Treble sparkle F > LX > SE5U
Timbre SE5U > LX > F
Soundstage size SE5U > LX > F
Imaging F > SE5U > LX
Dynamics F > LX > SE5U
Fun factor LX > F > SE5U
Critical listening SE5U > F > LX

As for WM1A, mine is K-modded with 1960s internal wiring so the end result is a warmer, more organic and more relaxed presentation. It complements the Flemanco best and gives it some balance. As predicted, I don't need any more warmth for Legend X so I pair that with a brighter DAP like DX200 or QP1R. SE5U is fine with either, being closest to neutral.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #12,873 of 39,414
A new decently priced flagship? Campfire announced the Solaris at 1.499$

Dual Custom Balanced Armature Drivers + T.A.E.C. (High)
Single Custom Ported Balanced Armature Driver (Mid)
Specially Tuned 10mm Dynamic Driver (Mid + Low)

5Hz–20 kHz Frequency Response
115 dB SPL/mW Sensitivity
10 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance
Less than 1% Total Harmonic Distortion

Solaris is a hybrid design, blending the best of the balanced armature performance with the physicality of dynamic drivers. It features 2 custom balanced armature drivers paired with our T.A.E.C for extended highs, without sibilance or fatigue. A larger single rear-ported balanced armature driver provides rich delivery of mid frequencies. A specially tuned version of our 10mm A.D.L.C. dynamic driver, optimized with our Polarity Tuned Chamber, anchors the sonic performance with deeply engaging mid-frequency tonality and visceral bass response.

Exciting times :)

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #12,874 of 39,414

10 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

Had them in my ears since about 10am UK time (about 5hrs and counting) thanks to an ultra quick FedEx delivery - will be posting some unboxing pics and super-brief / knee jerk / heavily caveatted / YMMV / not legally binding initial thoughts shortly.

First impressions: I think people will like these. A lot.

20181026_102839.jpg
20181026_102544.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #12,875 of 39,414
Had them in my ears (courtesy of FedEx) since about 10am UK time thanks to an ultra quick FedEx delivery - will be posting some unboxing pics and super-brief / knee jerk / heavily caveatted / YMMV / not legally binding initial thoughts shortly.
First impressions: I think people will like these. A lot.

I look forward to this... don't spoil my IER-Z1R plans :wink: !

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #12,876 of 39,414
Oct 26, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #12,877 of 39,414
What's music to my ears would be a supercharged Andromeda with nary a trace of the Vega/Atlas tuning, but I might be in the minority here.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #12,878 of 39,414
What's music to my ears would be a supercharged Andromeda with nary a trace of the Vega/Atlas tuning, but I might be in the minority here.

A lot of people are wishing for this, and it might just be on paper... which would be compelling!

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #12,879 of 39,414
What has this thread become? Is this Nic's BOTL IEM shootout thread? Have we no cash?

Seriously Dan, awesome reviews. Read it twice and was enticed by the A3H bcos of what it does... Sounds like a baby Flamenco.

And I seriously love your review format. Stupendously helpful for potential buyers. Buy this if a, b, c. Avoid if x, y, z. Kinda wish I thought of it myself lol

Thanks so much, man! Very much appreciated. :D I think the A3H has great potential at its price range, if not for its slightly drier treble. Hopefully, the custom version adds some refinement up top as is usually the case with customs vs. uni’s. Regardless, both the A1D and A3H are killer bangs-for-the-buck.

I think you may have read the review twice because I just realised that I mislabelled the “Page X:” links on the first page. :p I’ll fix them when I get home, hopefully no one got confused. My sincerest apologies!

10 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

Fingers crossed they’ll be available for me to demo when I visit Japan/Singapore in December. Exciting indeed. :wink:

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #12,881 of 39,414

10 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

holy crap....

the solaris is the first iem i've ever seen that i undeniably thought, is gorgeous.
it is so beautiful...

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #12,882 of 39,414
Legend X | Flamenco | SE5U

can you offer some short comparison between those 3 iems (and their synergy with wm1a) ?

thanx
Best ever pairing I have heard with the WM1a is my 12t. However, I have a Legend X coming that should be an awesome pairing as well... more to come.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #12,883 of 39,414
First knee jerk impressions of the Solaris are now up on Audio Primate after 6 solid hours with these things in my ears. This is way too short a time to make a proper assessment of an IEM, so treat these like show impressions and please don't read too much into any of this - Ken has also asked for these to be burned in for at least a week (and given some decent reasons for doing so, which I'll post up in the main review to avoid starting any discussions here!) - this is just my initial thoughts and a few nice pics.

TL:DR - I think these could be REALLY special. Time will tell!

https://audioprimate.blog/2018/10/26/campfire-audio-solaris-unboxing-and-initial-reaction/

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #12,884 of 39,414

10 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

Only headfi could consider $1499 "reasonable" :) :) (yes I know in the grand scheme of things such as Spiral Ears, Empire Ears, 64 audio etc etc, but still) :)

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #12,885 of 39,414
Only headfi could consider $1499 "reasonable" :) :) (yes I know in the grand scheme of things such as Spiral Ears, Empire Ears, 64 audio etc etc, but still) :)

You're right... still, in this day and age, few brand keep it... well if not reasonable at least, sane!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back