flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 18, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #12,436 of 39,414
One more option at $299: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/inearz-zen-2-zen-4-iems - The InEarz Zen 2 with ADEL technology. If she listens to music at high volumes, that could damage her hearing over time - but the ADEL tech protects against that by releasing the damaging pressure. While it may drop isolation a dB or two, it is not enough to be noticeable, but creates a much nicer soundstage - think full sized HP. Was just on the tour and it sounds very nice. If you are in the US and want to hear them, you can try contacting @BulldogXTRM who is about to close up the tour. However, the Massdrop sale is only going on for another 5 days so you wouldn't get them in time and they are normally $370.
hey thanks for that and the info about where I can try em :)

I've read about Adel and Apex and apparently (at the time I researched them) there was no hardcore data to prove it really does reduce hearing loss. I guess it needs more longterm use to see the results to compare to the typical rate of hearing loss. that's also why I thought an L shape signature would be good for her or at least a decent roll off on the treble. thank you!

for now I've lent her my e5000 but I'll eventually help her decide between the se215, some chifi iems I've been into recently, and now this Zen 2 ( soon before the drop ends)

thanks!

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #12,438 of 39,414
Nice, I look forward to it!
It will be interesting to know how the SP1000M does compare to SP1000 as well :)

A pilgrimage to Amsterdam, we should gather the Europeans and get a nice apartment all together for a week-end, it's so close to Paris :D
Hi David, a pilgrimage to Amsterdam! What a great idea. And after Hifisolution I know an incredible hot apple pie with ice cream.

358660B5-5E22-4A9C-AEB6-732DE35E8EE7.jpeg

:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #12,439 of 39,414
I missed this too, but totally agree with @Kerouac and his assessment of the Solar. That said, I do have the S-EM9 and love them equally to the Solar, but they're very different sounds. Where the Solar is warm and musical overall, the S-EM9 is a fairly enhanced U-shape sound with incredible treble extension and bass that rivals some dynamic drivers. I think the Solar is the more adaptable IEM for most genres of music, but the S-EM9 holds a special place in my hear too for pop or electronic music. Sadly, or fortunately, these are probably the two IEMs that I own that I will NEVER sell. I re-purchased the Solars after selling them and regretting it a month later, so that might tell you something. Suggesting a trade is tough, so it really comes down to whether or not you fancy a more natural, warm and musical signature or very detailed and technical (but still fun) sound of the S-EM9.

Well i've made the swap, but ive got track record with sellers remorse so we'll see. Since ive had A18t, I had stopped listening to the SEM9s, but i think you could be right about missing them as my infatuation with the 64audios is definitely on the wane, so much so i've stuck them up for sale too. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at, i set myself budget with some "non-declared" (to my other half) funds raised from downsizing my home hifi. This has still put in very lucky position where i can manage keep a core set up, of a pair of customs, universals and a nice dap, with a small float left over to play the classifieds and try as many flavours as i can a long the way.. fingers crossed these are more salted caramel then aniseed, but thanks again for the intel its much appreciated :)

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #12,440 of 39,414
hey thanks for that and the info about where I can try em :)

I've read about Adel and Apex and apparently (at the time I researched them) there was no hardcore data to prove it really does reduce hearing loss. I guess it needs more longterm use to see the results to compare to the typical rate of hearing loss. that's also why I thought an L shape signature would be good for her or at least a decent roll off on the treble. thank you!

for now I've lent her my e5000 but I'll eventually help her decide between the se215, some chifi iems I've been into recently, and now this Zen 2 ( soon before the drop ends)

thanks!
The Zen 2 is phenomenal in my opinion for the price. It performs way above the price and the clarity on these is much better than most other IEM's in this price range. I definitely would look into joining that drop. Apex/Adel technology in my opinion is amazing. Greater perceived volume with less actual volume and therefore that equals saving your hearing.

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #12,441 of 39,414
oh well, at least I have tamed the upgraditis bug on iems/daps
Something seems off about this post, but I just can't put my foot on it..

giphy.gif

Oh, and I fixed this for you : )
SD are one of the best bands in yacht rock territory
Big fan here too though!

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #12,442 of 39,414

giphy.gif

Big fan here too though!

the parrot is the upgraditis , i got that right ? and we are the cat , never getting a peaceful moment here ?

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

as for SD , is yacht rock a good term ? reminds me of elevator muzak (which is bad)

plus these guys are way too smart for dumb rich people on yachts , i expect something less cerebral playing in a yacht full of booze drugs and women

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #12,443 of 39,414
It was intended to be a reference to the more elite studio artists of the period, but you're right, it brings with it more a sense of negative connotation than positive.

Apparently the other side of it was nyatch rock, so it looks like it could've been called worse.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #12,444 of 39,414
I think it would be pretty good on the Zeus XR personally, since the cable adds a little warmth to the mid-bass and some top end sparkle as well. I haven't heard the XR, but have researched it enough times to sort of understand the attributes. What I do not know is how different the Phantom is from the Zeus, but @ctsooner22 seems to like the pairing. Like Nic said, it's a very easy cable to pair. Feel free to message Sammy and get his thoughts :)

-Collin-

I really am loving the pairing. I listened a fair amount today and even my audiologist asked about them, lol. BTW, my hearing is very good :).

.....Wat?

What do you know about a papa?

giphy.gif

Big fan here too though!

I'm reporting that Parrot for animal abuse!!!
images.jpeg

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #12,446 of 39,414
Dog = Me
Frisbee = Pete's animal abuse joke
giphy.gif

Explaining jokes never makes them funnier but I need a hint..

I have good ears, never said I wasn't slow :wink:....And stop throwing frisbee's at me!!!!!!!!

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #12,447 of 39,414
@SeeSax thanx man

i am also checking daily the cables FS thread , maybe something 2-pin/4.4 mm shows up , too good to pass

oh well , at least we have tamed the upgraditis bug on iems/daps

2/3 cured is acceptable :L3000:

edit : @junix that's one sonic masterpiece you have there for profile pic , SD are one of the best bands in rock territory

aja is monstrous , along with gaucho and royal scam my fav SD albums
It’s becoming rare to find people who truly appreciates Steely Dan.
I personally think Aja should be on everyone’s DAP, it can only be defined as a sonic masterpiece.. influencing rock with the right amout of jazz-iness and master it to perfection..

btw, I’m in the same phase as you, cables, cables everywhere.. :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #12,449 of 39,414
I have to give a huge shout out to @Wyville for something completely unrelated to audio. But, given that this is really just a dog meme thread, this is the proper place for such a post...

We all know and love Erik for many reasons, some of which include his ability to express how IEMs and cables sound with utmost finesse and emotion, his expertly chosen dog GIFs and memes, his unapologetic love for Rhapsodio and his valuable advice on what members should buy with their hard earned money. I'd better stop before I try to put a ring on his finger...

Anyway, in recent chats, we discussed how my dog was undergoing a fairly major surgery and being a dog lover himself, offered a lot of kind words and warm wishes. He mentioned that his wife often knitted sweaters and costumes for dogs, never accepted funding for such a task and did it out of the kindness of her heart. I received such a creation the other day and honestly, I just had to share it here to prove what a stand-up guy Erik is (and his better half, of course, and as if there was any doubt).

I present to you, Sheriff Tucker!

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180918195725426_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180918195749815_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180918195839928_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180918195902107_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180918195934349_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180918195948964_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180918200022151_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180918200048960_COVER.jpg

IMG_20180918_195704.jpg

Yes, the companion toy (which squeaks!) came with the sweater. With this amount of attention to detail, I hope the Wyville family will make my next IEM cable...

-Collin-

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #12,450 of 39,414
Wow. Didn’t know he made an 8 wire. How are they different

Did an A/B with my Solar and call me crazy, but the 4-wire is a little tighter, more sparkly and energetic. The 8-wire brings a new wave of warmth that didn't pair especially well with the Solar. Great for some other IEMs for sure, but I think I'd generally recommend the 4-wire. I heard hints of expanded sound stage and a little more lushness in the vocals, but also smoother treble and increased mid-bass which I didn't necessarily want. Hope this helps

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back