flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 17, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #12,406 of 39,414
My Ei.3 are universal these days. I think the shells have some similarities with Shure and Westone, but they certainly feel more solid and isolate better than my SE215, which were the ones I used previously. Although I believe Piotr uses a 3D printer for the shells, they will take a while to make because the design is still custom. Anyway, that's not really advice, just an excuse to show them off a bit. :p

dang those look good. I like how it has a 2 pin too. too bad rn it's out the budget and the shipping might take longer than needed but I would love to snag a 2 pin since after a month the se215 mmcx would always cut out on me

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #12,407 of 39,414
they are very good here

For the record these are my two, but ive been holding back on going the full GIF

Great action picture and very nice dogs! We are not allowed pets in our new home, so we will have to wait for a while still before I can pay off the Head-fi related debt I have built up with my wife. I think the debt is at two newfies and a corgi (technically the corgi is for me, but I won’t tell her that in case she raises the interest by a border terrier).

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #12,408 of 39,414
Great action picture and very nice dogs! We are not allowed pets in our new home, so we will have to wait for a while still before I can pay off the Head-fi related debt I have built up with my wife. I think the debt is at two newfies and a corgi (technically the corgi is for me, but I won’t tell her that in case she raises the interest by a border terrier).

its the reverse here, my two Cairn's are currently residing with Granny & Grandad in the next village, because my wife insists 2 pet boys (2 and 3 ) is enough. Even though i think growing up with dogs is a fundamental human right :frowning2:

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #12,409 of 39,414
hey guys sorry to interrupt the discussion I didnt know where else to ask.

any suggestions for best noise isolating iem or headphone for under 250? just for a student who is trying to block out noise while she studies. anything suggestions or direction to other fora helps

thanks

Campfire Audio Comets. Single BA, sealed unit so no vents that can affect isolation (which is very good). $199.99 so well under budget. They also have got strict quality control on the mmcx connection so no issues should develop.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #12,410 of 39,414
My Ei.3 are universal these days. I think the shells have some similarities with Shure and Westone, but they certainly feel more solid and isolate better than my SE215, which were the ones I used previously. Although I believe Piotr uses a 3D printer for the shells, they will take a while to make because the design is still custom. Anyway, that's not really advice, just an excuse to show them off a bit. :p

What tips are you using atm, just the stock ones or something else? Tried custom ones, but think they suit straight barrelled iems better due to the way the tips make the shells stick out more.

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #12,412 of 39,414
Nic introduced me to this a few days ago...
Oh, I figured they'd eventually find the body...candlelight vigils...couple months pass...Daniel gets his own thread.

But this is good too.
she listens at high volumes
Don't need to worry so much about isolation if she's a loud listener.
any suggestions for best noise isolating iem or headphone for under 250?
With a combo of loud volume + canal-fit BA iems, isolation won't be an issue save for planes and similar dB levels, plus better SQ than NC hps. 50% of options eliminated right there! I never understood why someone would actively choose hps over iems for on-the-go use, save for objecting to objects in-ear. It's quite the piercing glare I'm perfecting actually.
only thing is she wants to block out noisy people mostly
While the world has it's share of loudmouthed a-holes, canal-fit iems + her listening level should drown out all but the most dickish of examples.
active noise cancelling ones too she is considering one of those
People just think they need NC because of Bose, Beats and other BS. Plus, above.

Great on planes...not to listen to though..to put over your iems.

She just needs to get some iems in her ears to see what she likes. Does she live in TO too? Clearly Charles if so. Either purchase from him or see what she likes and find an example of that signature in another iem, say like those Comets.

She should really be the one listening though. Instead of you listening to us.

@Wyville So I spent the last week trying to come up with an appropriate tribute to post once the shock subsided, but can we just say out loud, dead cat gifs are nowhere near as popular as this dog-lover would've imagined. What I did manage to find I figure I'll just repurpose here now, rather than waste it...

Just follow my lead k...
giphy.gif

Hahaha, good one Erik! In it for the dog gifs!! Always such a jokester!! Can't ever take you seriously can we??
Yep, nothing but crab gifs for us here. Wouldn't even dream of considering posting a gif without said gif containing some crab, would we?
Yes sir, crab gifs are our fav here. OK, hopefully he heard us. What an asshole eh?

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #12,413 of 39,414
IMG_0927.JPG

guess what PAPA just got in the mail???? :wink:

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #12,414 of 39,414
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #12,418 of 39,414
dumb question but do people who swap cables often not push their 2-pin connectors in all the way?

That's not a dumb question at all. I've swapped a million cables and notice that many two pin sockets are not as secure as they once were. Add to that, certain manufacturers' (while all are .78 standard) pins seem to be slightly larger or smaller than others. So if I know I'm just testing a cable and it may not live on the IEM permanently, I'll push it in just snug enough for use and not put more wear on the sockets than I have to.

-Collin-

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #12,419 of 39,414
Sorry, bit off topic, but i've been tempted by an offer to trader Rhapsodio Solar universals for my Earsonics S-EM9.

As part of my break-neck journey around the world of IEMs, i've been keen to try something from Rhapsodio, but before i part with my lovely but seldom used S-EM9s had 2 questions to throw out to this floor of experts

1- Do they have any sort of a spike in the lower treble/ upper mids say 4-6K?
2 - As a circa 2016 model, do they stand up to current standards or is this more a sonic cul-de-sac best avoided?

thank you in advance :)

I've the universal version. I don't hear any spike in the treble region. I'm not a treble head and I've been comfortable with it. I liked the sound signature but not totally wowed by it. The bass punches well and good. Nothing to complain about the sound signature. The iems may be a little too big.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #12,420 of 39,414
Listening to the 1960 4 wire now on my H2 > A18 and can say the cable is something special. My 18 has incredible bass normally, but wow, the sound really scales here with a nice lift to the lower end. Had to turn down the volume to match my normal listening level vs. the previous cable. The sound is very rich without stepping on the delicate treble extension and extraordinary texture.
I've the 1960 2 wire and love that pairing with A18. Looking forward to try the 4 wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back