flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #12,391 of 39,414
Sorry, bit off topic, but i've been tempted by an offer to trader Rhapsodio Solar universals for my Earsonics S-EM9.

As part of my break-neck journey around the world of IEMs, i've been keen to try something from Rhapsodio, but before i part with my lovely but seldom used S-EM9s had 2 questions to throw out to this floor of experts

1- Do they have any sort of a spike in the lower treble/ upper mids say 4-6K?
2 - As a circa 2016 model, do they stand up to current standards or is this more a sonic cul-de-sac best avoided?

thank you in advance :)

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #12,392 of 39,414
If anyone wants to try the PWaudio 1960 4 wire or even the new 1950 in the US, I will be hosting a US HeadFi PWaudio CIEM cable upgrade lineup tour soon with most of the lineup. See the link in my signature which should go live in the next week or so.

I will be trying them with my Hugo2 and a18t tonight.

Very excited about this tour, i'm not going to miss it, i already have the 2 wire 1960 and i'm really looking for to compare it with it's 4 wire sibling :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #12,393 of 39,414

That is really, really nice! I think my wife would love that as well. Will need to buy the album soon!

Nic introduced me to this a few days ago and I have really been enjoying it. It just cheers me up no end....

Sorry, bit off topic, but i've been tempted by an offer to trader Rhapsodio Solar universals for my Earsonics S-EM9.

As part of my break-neck journey around the world of IEMs, i've been keen to try something from Rhapsodio, but before i part with my lovely but seldom used S-EM9s had 2 questions to throw out to this floor of experts

1- Do they have any sort of a spike in the lower treble/ upper mids say 4-6K?
2 - As a circa 2016 model, do they stand up to current standards or is this more a sonic cul-de-sac best avoided?

thank you in advance :)
Perhaps @Kerouac can help you there. He has the Solar and I think it is precious to him. :D Not sure if he has heard the S-EM9 for a rough comparison, but he seems to have had most of Nic's gear over at some point or other, so it wouldn't surprise me. :wink:

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #12,394 of 39,414
That is really, really nice! I think my wife would love that as well. Will need to buy the album soon!

Nic introduced me to this a few days ago and I have really been enjoying it. It just cheers me up no end....

Perhaps @Kerouac can help you there. He has the Solar and I think it is precious to him. :D Not sure if he has heard the S-EM9 for a rough comparison, but he seems to have had most of Nic's gear over at some point or other, so it wouldn't surprise me. :wink:

thank you that would be awesome and im more trying to find out whether they peak around the 4-6k so i can gauge whether they'll play nice with my sensitive left ear and also how they stand up now we're nearly 3 years on from their release. Coming clean, the SME9's were once owned by Nic too :wink:

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #12,395 of 39,414
thank you that would be awesome and im more trying to find out whether they peak around the 4-6k so i can gauge whether they'll play nice with my sensitive left ear and also how they stand up now we're nearly 3 years on from their release. Coming clean, the SME9's were once owned by Nic too :wink:
Who knows, there might even be some @Kerouac earwax on those S-EM9 then! :sweat_smile:

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #12,396 of 39,414
hey guys sorry to interrupt the discussion I didnt know where else to ask.

any suggestions for best noise isolating iem or headphone for under 250? just for a student who is trying to block out noise while she studies. anything suggestions or direction to other fora helps

thanks

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #12,397 of 39,414

any suggestions for best noise isolating iem or headphone for under 250? just for a student who is trying to block out noise while she studies. anything suggestions or direction to other fora helps

thanks
What type of sound signature you're looking for? I would look @ options from Westone or Shure. I always found them very good w/ ergonomics and good isolation. If you're willing to go custom, Alclair has a custom model for $250, but have never heard it.

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #12,398 of 39,414

thanks
For the price, I liked the Sony WH-1000xm2. I've not spent a lot of time with noise cancelling phones, but these seemed to isolate pretty well from my short time with them. They might be pushing closer to $300, however.

Edit - They're also wireless, which can be an advantage around stacks of books and papers.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #12,399 of 39,414

thanks
My weapons of choice for getting great (passive) isolation are my Ei.3. They are a bit more expensive, although Piotr has them on sale at the moment (link). But what I thinks makes them so effective is that the shells are relatively small and made from a very solid feeling acrylic, so that might be something to look out for. I also find that the choice of music makes quite a difference. Music that is continuous without many silent parts or low volume solos works best. That is why I prefer down-tempo EDM such as Carbon Based Lifeforms when the construction site or one of the neighbours gets too loud. I often listen to Interloper (just as an example).

Never used active noise cancelling, so I couldn't comment on that, but do see loads of people in London walking around with Bose QuietComfort headphones. Almost bought the QC20 earphones myself, but decided against active cancellation.

CIEMs were still by far the best option I tried, but that might be pushing it a bit. Still, even at low volume, rides in the Tube were a lot more pleasant in terms of sound (everything else still sucked :p ).

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #12,400 of 39,414
Sep 17, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #12,401 of 39,414
What type of sound signature you're looking for? I would look @ options from Westone or Shure. I always found them very good w/ ergonomics and good isolation. If you're willing to go custom, Alclair has a custom model for $250, but have never heard it.

from what I know she listens to a lot of KPOP, so chi-pop-tuning would be my guess. probably v shaped or L shaped since she listens at high volumes. only thing is I've had bad experiences with shure MMCX connectors, any 2 pin suggestions? if not then I'll look into weston's and thanks!!

For the price, I liked the Sony WH-1000xm2. I've not spent a lot of time with noise cancelling phones, but these seemed to isolate pretty well from my short time with them. They might be pushing closer to $300, however.

I havent spent a lot of time with them either but I have seen that one and heard a lot of good about it. only thing is she wants to block out noisy people mostly, and I know noise cancelling is a lot better for constant noises. maybe for headphones i was considering audio technica 50x (I forgot the other letters in the name) thanks!!!

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #12,402 of 39,414
its the sense of fair play and sharing that first attracted me to this forum :wink:
I just came for the dog gifs... :D

tenor.gif

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #12,403 of 39,414
My weapons of choice for getting great (passive) isolation are my Ei.3. They are a bit more expensive, although Piotr has them on sale at the moment (link). But what I thinks makes them so effective is that the shells are relatively small and made from a very solid feeling acrylic, so that might be something to look out for. I also find that the choice of music makes quite a difference. Music that is continuous without many silent parts or low volume solos works best. That is why I prefer down-tempo EDM such as Carbon Based Lifeforms when the construction site or one of the neighbours gets too loud. I often listen to Interloper (just as an example).

Never used active noise cancelling, so I couldn't comment on that, but do see loads of people in London walking around with Bose QuietComfort headphones. Almost bought the QC20 earphones myself, but decided against active cancellation.

CIEMs were still by far the best option I tried, but that might be pushing it a bit. Still, even at low volume, rides in the Tube were a lot more pleasant in terms of sound (everything else still sucked :p ).

oooooh I've always wanted a custom xD just too impatient for them. thanks for the suggestion for ei.3 :) I was hoping to purchase something this week so unfortunately customs are out of my league rn. and ya a lot of active noise cancelling ones too she is considering one of those. I'll research them thank you!!

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #12,404 of 39,414
I just came for the dog gifs... :D

tenor.gif

they are very good here

For the record these are my two, but ive been holding back on going the full GIF

9a3f062e-bdb7-4bc6-8ce6-24102bea6995.JPG

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #12,405 of 39,414
oooooh I've always wanted a custom xD just too impatient for them. thanks for the suggestion for ei.3 :) I was hoping to purchase something this week so unfortunately customs are out of my league rn. and ya a lot of active noise cancelling ones too she is considering one of those. I'll research them thank you!!
My Ei.3 are universal these days. I think the shells have some similarities with Shure and Westone, but they certainly feel more solid and isolate better than my SE215, which were the ones I used previously. Although I believe Piotr uses a 3D printer for the shells, they will take a while to make because the design is still custom. Anyway, that's not really advice, just an excuse to show them off a bit. :p

Requiem.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back