flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 12, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #12,302 of 39,414
That sucks man, hope it all gets sorted out.

Let me guess; costing - not one, but - two kidneys? :D

Long story short, Indonesian customs are making me either pay 500 USD in taxes or send the Electro's back to Alclair with a delivery time of 3-10 months! I've been going to my local post office and customs building every 3-5 days for the past month dealing with one conundrum after another, and the ultimatum above is what I've now been left with. But through it all, Andy Swanson of Alclair has been an absolute friggin' champ to deal with. He's been extremely understanding, patient and generous with his time. After I told him about the ultimatum and informed him of my intent to pay the taxes wholesale, he instead offered to build me a brand new set and ship it to a friend in Singapore while my original pair go on a 3-to-10-month ship back to the US. Again, the dude is a gem in the industry and I could not say enough good about him or Alclair. My only hope now is the final product lives up to it all. :D

You know, the JD24 is set to cost around 1850-1875 USD. For a 2018 flagship with new tech, that's not the worst! :p

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #12,303 of 39,414
Long story short, Indonesian customs are making me either pay 500 USD in taxes or send the Electro's back to Alclair with a delivery time of 3-10 months! I've been going to my local post office and customs building every 3-5 days for the past month dealing with one conundrum after another, and the ultimatum above is what I've now been left with. But through it all, Andy Swanson of Alclair has been an absolute friggin' champ to deal with. He's been extremely understanding, patient and generous with his time. After I told him about the ultimatum and informed him of my intent to pay the taxes wholesale, he instead offered to build me a brand new set and ship it to a friend in Singapore while my original pair go on a 3-to-10-month ship back to the US. Again, the dude is a gem in the industry and I could not say enough good about him or Alclair. My only hope now is the final product lives up to it all. :D
Wow, that is frustrating! In the Netherlands there used to be a "gift" tax exemption, which would be ideal in the case of reviewers receiving gear, but alas I think that is no longer the case. Very frustrating when reviewing is just a hobby. Still, Andy sounds like a great guy who understands these situations and is willing to go through great lengths to resolve them. Pretty darn impressive! Looking forward to seeing some impressions come up once everything is sorted and you finally have them.
You know, the JD24 is set to cost around 1850-1875 USD. For a 2018 flagship with new tech, that's not the worst! :p
That is not half bad! Although slightly worrying that we now sigh of relief when a flagship is under US$2k. :D

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #12,304 of 39,414
Long story short, Indonesian customs...
Yikes!! Sure, the man prefers customs..but capitalize that “c” and he downright loathes them :flag_sg::scroll::hammer:
Agreed. That's a role model :D Edit - I'm liking your post, but only because of Andy.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #12,305 of 39,414
Well, I'd say I'm halfway through purchasing the entire top 17 list of IEMs in this thread (kidding, but not kidding). Today the AAW W900 arrived new-to-me and they're quite different than I imagined. I've been spending a lot of time with hybrids lately, mostly the Zombie, Legend X and Hyla CE-5, so I expected this to fit into one of those categories. I quickly remembered that I read several reviews, including the one from @flinkenick which pointed out that this was a pretty neutral monitor. It's a very mature tuning, with slightly lifted bass from the DD, a clear and detailed mid-range that is not recessed like a few of the other hybrids and crystal clear treble sparkle and extension. Actually this IEM doesn't sound like a hybrid at all to me, other than the DD moving a bit more air than I get from pure BA IEMs. I'm pretty impressed...it's different than anything I have and I think it is exactly what I was hoping for (although wasn't expecting). I've only had it for a few hours. As soon as the Apple announcement was concluded and they did NOT bring back the headphone jack, I had to move on to bigger and better things which was unboxing this beast (it's huge) and giving it a proper listen today. So far it gets a huge thumbs up from me.

IMG_20180912_130259.jpg

More impressions to come...should be just in time for when AAW announces all their new hybrids and makes this one old news :)

-Collin-

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #12,306 of 39,414
So spent big this morning and got a set of symbios w on the way. Wondering if the small or medium will work this time. Historically small has been too small and medium up just make my ear hurt after a while. Gotten fed up with the numerous refits needed for customs so trying to find a universal that will work. Can't wait for next week when I can go back to using iems at work again.
As a new ProPhile 8 owner I´m also interested in these tips, so please keep us updated!

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #12,307 of 39,414
Well, I'd say I'm halfway through purchasing the entire top 17 list of IEMs in this thread (kidding, but not kidding). Today the AAW W900 arrived new-to-me and they're quite different than I imagined. I've been spending a lot of time with hybrids lately, mostly the Zombie, Legend X and Hyla CE-5, so I expected this to fit into one of those categories. I quickly remembered that I read several reviews, including the one from @flinkenick which pointed out that this was a pretty neutral monitor. It's a very mature tuning, with slightly lifted bass from the DD, a clear and detailed mid-range that is not recessed like a few of the other hybrids and crystal clear treble sparkle and extension. Actually this IEM doesn't sound like a hybrid at all to me, other than the DD moving a bit more air than I get from pure BA IEMs. I'm pretty impressed...it's different than anything I have and I think it is exactly what I was hoping for (although wasn't expecting). I've only had it for a few hours. As soon as the Apple announcement was concluded and they did NOT bring back the headphone jack, I had to move on to bigger and better things which was unboxing this beast (it's huge) and giving it a proper listen today. So far it gets a huge thumbs up from me.

More impressions to come...should be just in time for when AAW announces all their new hybrids and makes this one old news :)

-Collin-
what's with the hyla ce-5? I hear a lot of people talk about it but it's not really a flagship right?

Sep 12, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #12,308 of 39,414
what's with the hyla ce-5? I hear a lot of people talk about it but it's not really a flagship right?

Depends how you define flagship. It's "only" $900 (or was) but is one of my all time favorite IEMs. I consider it to be a flagship in the highest order.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #12,309 of 39,414
There’s a really long story involving Indonesian customs being complete, utter *bleep*, so I’ll only be receiving the Electro’s within about a month’s time. Worry not, y’all will be the first to know as soon as I hear anything.

In the meantime, NF Audio (China-based, I believe) is coming out with an IEM with - not one, but - two e-stat drivers inside! :p

doesn't alclair's website say the electro also has 2 electrostatic tweeters?

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #12,311 of 39,414

-Collin-

It looks like the W900 you have is the revised version with a retuned treble. This one has an accentuated upper-treble and a refined lower-treble, so it isn't as prickly and awkward as the old version. The original had a 9-10kHz (I think) peak that really emphasised hi-hats and gave vocals this nasally quality; the in-ear's Achilles' heel to me. This revision is a lot smoother and a touch brighter, but - as you said - I feel like it's ashamed to be a hybrid sometimes. In fact, that trend extends to their A3H as well. I have it and the A1D on loan for review as we speak, and although I'm so in love with the new A3H's sound (especially for percussion; it's probably in my top 5 IEMs to listen to drums to), the bass doesn't really make a statement; focusing on the upper-bass rather than the mid- or sub-. As you said, the only way you can tell it's a hybrid is by the movement of air. Heck, I tried three different brands of tips just to see if I was getting a bad seal. :D I guess it's just their house tuning. It's nothing to complain about, but very interesting nonetheless.

doesn't alclair's website say the electro also has 2 electrostatic tweeters?

Site says two electrostatic tweeters. I wonder if they're the ones made by Sonion

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out! :D Yes, the tweeters are the ones from Sonion. They mentioned Sonion multiple times in their Instagram posts leading up to the Electro's official release.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #12,312 of 39,414
In the meantime, NF Audio (China-based, I believe) is coming out with an IEM with - not one, but - two e-stat drivers inside! :p
Comes from the future.

I suppose you can just enter a store, grab them.. leave.. and say "I'll pay next week."

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #12,313 of 39,414
It looks like the W900 you have is the revised version with a retuned treble. This one has an accentuated upper-treble and a refined lower-treble, so it isn't as prickly and awkward as the old version. The original had a 9-10kHz (I think) peak that really emphasised hi-hats and gave vocals this nasally quality; the in-ear's Achilles' heel to me. This revision is a lot smoother and a touch brighter, but - as you said - I feel like it's ashamed to be a hybrid sometimes. In fact, that trend extends to their A3H as well. I have it and the A1D on loan for review as we speak, and although I'm so in love with the new A3H's sound (especially for percussion; it's probably in my top 5 IEMs to listen to drums to), the bass doesn't really make a statement; focusing on the upper-bass rather than the mid- or sub-. As you said, the only way you can tell it's a hybrid is by the movement of air. Heck, I tried three different brands of tips just to see if I was getting a bad seal. :D I guess it's just their house tuning. It's nothing to complain about, but very interesting nonetheless.

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out! :D Yes, the tweeters are the ones from Sonion. They mentioned Sonion multiple times in their Instagram posts leading up to the Electro's official release.

It's really crazy to put out a TOTL model with glaring defects (I had the initial AAW900 and the treble was a no no), wait for the feedback and put out v2 and 3. If you can't tell if something sounds off (beyond matters of taste), there is a problem.

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #12,315 of 39,414
I think "electrostat" is a new buzz word now :wink: Just saying in general, but every few years manufacturers need to reinvent the wheel to get customers attention with something new. Otherwise, it's another boring multi-BA or hybrid :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back