flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 7, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #12,196 of 39,419
I see Astell&Kern’s marketing strategy has taken on a new form: Release the ultra-premium SS and Cu versions first, then the standard one later once the hype starts to die down. :wink:

To their credit though, at least they’ve addressed the size and weight issues.
But aren't some specs slightly above, like power...

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #12,197 of 39,419
But aren't some specs slightly above, like power...

Are they? I didn’t see the specs sheet, so I can’t tell. I only saw AK’s social media post about it that mentioned a new CPU for faster UI response I think... (?)

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #12,199 of 39,419
Are they? I didn’t see the specs sheet, so I can’t tell. I only saw AK’s social media post about it that mentioned a new CPU for faster UI response I think... (?)

Don't think they changed CPU, looks identical inside except for 128GB of internal storage (instead of 256GB) and aluminum chassis instead of SS/CU. But they did improve output of BAL, from 3.9Vrms to 4.2Vrms and improved SNR to 123dB. Weight is cut in half, and size is smaller (with a display scaled down to 4.1" from 5"). Also, they announced about upcoming new FW, introduced with SP1000M and probably carried over to other DAPs where they are going to allow side-loading of APK files to load other streaming services (hopefully Spotify will work). And the price is reduced from $3.5k to $2.4k. Full announcement here.

I have a feeling the sound will not be identical to SP1000, they have to differentiate from a flagship unless they are planning to kill it off.

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #12,200 of 39,419
Interesting, support for android APK, now I am listening!

New firmware will debut with the SP1000M that adds Android APK support, allowing users to install additional music streaming services to their player by simply copying and installing the corresponding APK file for the music service they wish to add.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #12,201 of 39,419
Question for the high end DAP lovers here: got a DX200 in trade this week, which comes with AMP2 instead of AMP1. Thinking I'll get AMP8 as I've heard good things (and berm slowly shifting my blabbe balanced cables to 4.4mm to match my outgoing ZX300). Loving the sound of the 2 - is there any consensus on the "best" SE amp module to go along with the 8? Don't intend to swap much, but a I use the LG V30 / Mojo / Shanling M0 as my daily carry sources, will be keeping a lot of cables single ended?

Any suggestions very much appreciated - I'm be driving stuff like the Atlas, Flares Gold and some EE iems mainly.

I faced a similar dilemma and decided to reterminate everything to 4.4mm and go all in, then got my 3.5mm sources I had a really nice pure silver 3.5mm male to 4.4mm female adapter made. It's not bulky at all and works perfectly. It even kicked the V30 into Aux mode when plugged in first. There are a few available, but my go-to friend David at Triton Audio made mine.

image.jpeg

-Collin-

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #12,202 of 39,419
Don't think they changed CPU, looks identical inside except for 128GB of internal storage (instead of 256GB) and aluminum chassis instead of SS/CU. But they did improve output of BAL, from 3.9Vrms to 4.2Vrms and improved SNR to 123dB. Weight is cut in half, and size is smaller (with a display scaled down to 4.1" from 5"). Also, they announced about upcoming new FW, introduced with SP1000M and probably carried over to other DAPs where they are going to allow side-loading of APK files to load other streaming services (hopefully Spotify will work). And the price is reduced from $3.5k to $2.4k. Full announcement here.

I have a feeling the sound will not be identical to SP1000, they have to differentiate from a flagship unless they are planning to kill it off.

Exactly. From the looks of it, it'll prove much better value than the SS and Cu (even if performance doesn't end up being up-to-par). I'm simply noting the irony that they release this after they release the SS and Cu, unlike the other way around as before. If anything, it'll hopefully set a precedent for premium users to wait before they buy. :wink:

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #12,203 of 39,419
Exactly. From the looks of it, it'll prove much better value than the SS and Cu (even if performance doesn't end up being up-to-par). I'm simply noting the irony that they release this after they release the SS and Cu, unlike the other way around as before. If anything, it'll hopefully set a precedent for premium users to wait before they buy. :wink:
Train your patience, buy second-hand. :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #12,206 of 39,419
Sep 7, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #12,207 of 39,419
From A&K recent post, for many of their DAPs and I see Spotify in there.

Yep, any app you can download an APK for, Spotify is in there :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #12,209 of 39,419
About damn time. Does it support offline tidal files?

If you get Tidal APK, it should as you then get the "vanilla" APK for Tidal and not a AK specific app no reason it shouldn't work... now has this been locked? I hope not... this was a major turn off for me.

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #12,210 of 39,419
So had a self imposed ban on iems this week to let my right ear get ready for cleaning out the earwax next friday (always a fun experience!). Hadn't realised until now just how much I relied on c/iems to block out the noise at work to allow me to concentrate. Been using headphones but it's not quite the same. Going to be a long week until next friday:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back