flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 5, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #10,336 of 39,419
I know! Don't tempt me!

I saw some impressions of the new 3rd gen UE18+ and apparently they have a slightly different sound, brighter if I understand correctly. Of course there is the LIVE, which should be pretty much perfect for training... :D

Oh, don't worry... all of the older models will adopt the new connector as well, so there's really nothing stopping you from getting the 2nd Gen UE18+ other than yourself... :p

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #10,337 of 39,419
I know! Don't tempt me!

I saw some impressions of the new 3rd gen UE18+ and apparently they have a slightly different sound, brighter if I understand correctly. Of course there is the LIVE, which should be pretty much perfect for training... :D

One thing I am not too clear about: do you like or dislike dogs?

tenor.gif

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #10,338 of 39,419
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #10,339 of 39,419
I know! Don't tempt me!

i have been tempted... i've been wanting a 3d ear scanned monitor, and the ip67 may have been last straw... but i'm trying to save up for a cable... an eventual refit once im done dieting.... a new screen for my laptop..... a new camera..... fck

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #10,340 of 39,419
I know! Don't tempt me!

lol try it out.. well not really bright, but take out some of the warmth and add more spark on the higher freqs.
hopefully, i might be able to post impressions of the Live within the week

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #10,344 of 39,419
One thing I am not too clear about: do you like or dislike dogs?

Yeah, I know I hide it quite well, but I do like dogs. I guess not having been able to get a dog in the past 10 years has caused some psychological issues. (Although I will freely admit those issues might have also always been there.)
lol try it out.. well not really bright, but take out some of the warmth and add more spark on the higher freqs.
hopefully, i might be able to post impressions of the Live within the week
Yeah, the way I understood it was brighter relative to the 2nd gen, but not completely different. Is that about right? Very curious what that will have done with the tonality, if anything. Will see if I can demo them at some point. It took me a lot of searching to demo the 2nd gen and I am not sure if any of the 3rd gen will be floating around in London. Perhaps at Canjam.

Looking forward to some impressions of the Live! Very curious about those!
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you one of my absolute favourite sub-$1000 products of the year...

Nice! Time for another good read. :nerd:

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #10,345 of 39,419
Yeah, the way I understood it was brighter relative to the 2nd gen, but not completely different. Is that about right? Very curious what that will have done with the tonality, if anything. Will see if I can demo them at some point. It took me a lot of searching to demo the 2nd gen and I am not sure if any of the 3rd gen will be floating around in London. Perhaps at Canjam.

Yes exactly.

Tonight I shall grab these:

IMG_20180605_160647.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #10,346 of 39,419
Yeah, I know I hide it quite well, but I do like dogs. I guess not having been able to get a dog in the past 10 years has caused some psychological issues. (Although I will freely admit those issues might have also always been there.)

Nice! Time for another good read. :nerd:

I'll have a full day to myself before the Jomo event, so I'll definitely give Music Santuary a visit for the new UE models, as well as a bunch of cables from Han Sound Audio and Cross Lambda. :wink:

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #10,347 of 39,419
Well nothing like which is bestestest. Just respective merits and flaws in your opinion. Apart from the fact that the IE800s cable is crappety crap of course

Just some initial impressions between the two - as always, just my opinion so don't take it too seriously.

Atlas
  • Outstanding bass (both quantity and quality). It actually improves on the Vega slightly for me in terms of both texture and tightness - it does have a big presence though, so if you are a bass-allergic sort of audiophile, this won't be the IEM you are looking for
  • Mids are improved on from the Vega, now sit a little more forward in the mix. Very rich and full in sound, but carry plenty of detail and clarity.
  • Treble is somewhere between the Vega and Andromeda in implementation. More linear than the Vega, and adds a slight dash of sparkle / air on top of the more solid lower ranges. Loses the spike the Vega had, so sounds smoother and less aggressive on hotter tracks. Again, note weight leans more towards thick than delicate.
  • If I had to guess, probably a W shaped sound - difficult to categorise, as everything is emphasised.
  • Doesn't overplay the bass of it isn't there in the mastering of the track, but will bring it out to play if it is.
  • Sonic image is the biggest I've heard in an IEM. Not soundstage - that is a good size, but not to HD800 or Andro proportions. The physical size of the instruments in your head is just huge. It's like someone has done a pinch and zoom on the sound. Difficult to describe, but massively engaging and immersive.
  • Technical ability is good - detail retrieval and resolution is high, but this isn't a detail monster when tiny consists it to something like the Zeus, and the sheer oomph of the tuning can occasionally distract from the fine detail on display underneath
  • Build is exceptional - feels great in the hand, looks great, new twisted cable has zero stiffness or microphonics
  • If you have large ear canals, can be fiddly to get a good fit due to weight of housings when wearing them down - I use CustomArt moulded silicone custom tips I had done a while back and they lock the Atlas in place and give great sound
  • Sound can be varied by tip, so quite dependent. Final E-series possible more balance, CA foamies give slightly more warmth, etc
  • Sound is huge, thick, but actually quite balanced overall. Not balanced in the traditional sense, it's more an impression of balanced where everything is turned up to 10 across all frequency ranges but still sounds remarkably cohesive, and doesn't overshadow the other frequencies.
  • Dynamics are high - it's a little behind the Vega in this regard due to the lack of treble spike, but dull moves serious air and drives engagement in the music
  • Bass presence gives the same sort of physical impact you feel in a live music venue
  • Overall, this is probably the most enjoyable "musical" tuning I've heard, and takes the Campfire "house sound" to a natural conclusion. It is the IEM I reach for over everything else in my collection at the moment. If you are a fan of reference or strictly flat/neutral signatures, this probably won't be for you, though - it's not tuned to appeal to everyone, and the bass quantity sites take a bit of getting used to initially.

IE800s
  • Build looks cheap in comparison. Cable is thin and rubbery, and looks like a cosmetic downgrade from the IE800 (never seen the original in the flesh, though)
  • They have taken understated to a whole new level. Matte black finish and rubber/plastic cable gives the impression of the 800s being a fairly entry level model
  • Accessories are good - like the fact 4.4mm and 2.5mm are included in the standard package
  • Fit is fiddly for me, as I have large ear canals. Proprietary tip connector and ultra short nozzles remove a lot of tip-swapping options. Fits perfectly in my fiancee's tiny ears though
  • Sound is beautifully balanced, but can be quite polite and laid back - not the most dynamic
  • Nice tilt in the sub bass to give a low end solidity and extension to the sound, and slopes down into the mid bass. Not as bassy as the Atlas, but has great texture and quality. Can still slam a little when required.
  • Organic mids, with good natural resolution and clarity. Medium note thickness. Nice edge to guitar and strong instruments due to relatively light weight.
  • Highs are beautifully smooth. Not overly airy, but no sharpness or harshness and excellent extension.
  • Soundstage is possibly the same size as the Atlas, but feels bigger as the instrument size is smaller on the stage. Separation feels more distinct over the Atlas as a result.
  • Tuning is a gentle U shape, with mugs sitting in quite a neutral position - the Goldilocks zone (not too forward or too backward)
  • Tone of the monitor is more towards a slightly warm neutral, whereas the Atlas has a warmer and richer tonality
  • IE800s requires more power to drive, but not huge amounts
  • More of an "audiophile" tuning, with no major areas of emphasis apart from the sub bass. The balance makes it feel more laid back than the Atlas, and can be a little lacking in dynamism as a result
  • Remarkably relaxing and smooth sound you can drift into.
Will put some proper A/B in my review of the Atlas which will be posted pretty soon, but the takeaway is that for me personally, they are both great sounding IEMs but I prefer the Atlas. It sounds like a really well mastered live album from your favorite band, full of energy and zing, and bone rattling sound. The IE800s sounds more like an Unplugged album from the same artist - more downbeat and considered, but can lack a little life from time to time.

Hope that helps?

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #10,348 of 39,419
I briefly tried Atlas and liked it but didn't compare to IE800s. What do you feel are their respective merits and flaws?
Hi Mim,

Sorry I am not sure how I didn't see the question and then I saw your post today...I had to go back 6 pages to see it..lol

I am on the road for work and don't have either of those with me. Since you mentioned it, that would be a interesting comparison. When I get home I give each a quick listen and give a quick + and - between the two. Sorry for not seeing your post.

I will say that Atlas is not a quick listen IEM. The bass is incredible and has quality as well quantity, mids are not overly recessed and the details are very present, maybe two rows back as opposed to at the stage. The treble extends well and has a sparkle but is not harsh, using Final tips.
The IE800S is smooth by comparison. I know you thought the IE800S was bass heavy, at first. I am incredibly addicted to the sound of Atlas, one of the best I have encountered overall. The signature and how lively and engaging the Atlas is have captivated me.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #10,350 of 39,419
Just some initial impressions between the two - as always, just my opinion so don't take it too seriously.

Atlas
  • Outstanding bass (both quantity and quality). It actually improves on the Vega slightly for me in terms of both texture and tightness - it does have a big presence though, so if you are a bass-allergic sort of audiophile, this won't be the IEM you are looking for
  • Mids are improved on from the Vega, now sit a little more forward in the mix. Very rich and full in sound, but carry plenty of detail and clarity.
  • Treble is somewhere between the Vega and Andromeda in implementation. More linear than the Vega, and adds a slight dash of sparkle / air on top of the more solid lower ranges. Loses the spike the Vega had, so sounds smoother and less aggressive on hotter tracks. Again, note weight leans more towards thick than delicate.
  • If I had to guess, probably a W shaped sound - difficult to categorise, as everything is emphasised.
  • Doesn't overplay the bass of it isn't there in the mastering of the track, but will bring it out to play if it is.
  • Sonic image is the biggest I've heard in an IEM. Not soundstage - that is a good size, but not to HD800 or Andro proportions. The physical size of the instruments in your head is just huge. It's like someone has done a pinch and zoom on the sound. Difficult to describe, but massively engaging and immersive.
  • Technical ability is good - detail retrieval and resolution is high, but this isn't a detail monster when tiny consists it to something like the Zeus, and the sheer oomph of the tuning can occasionally distract from the fine detail on display underneath
  • Build is exceptional - feels great in the hand, looks great, new twisted cable has zero stiffness or microphonics
  • If you have large ear canals, can be fiddly to get a good fit due to weight of housings when wearing them down - I use CustomArt moulded silicone custom tips I had done a while back and they lock the Atlas in place and give great sound
  • Sound can be varied by tip, so quite dependent. Final E-series possible more balance, CA foamies give slightly more warmth, etc
  • Sound is huge, thick, but actually quite balanced overall. Not balanced in the traditional sense, it's more an impression of balanced where everything is turned up to 10 across all frequency ranges but still sounds remarkably cohesive, and doesn't overshadow the other frequencies.
  • Dynamics are high - it's a little behind the Vega in this regard due to the lack of treble spike, but dull moves serious air and drives engagement in the music
  • Bass presence gives the same sort of physical impact you feel in a live music venue
  • Overall, this is probably the most enjoyable "musical" tuning I've heard, and takes the Campfire "house sound" to a natural conclusion. It is the IEM I reach for over everything else in my collection at the moment. If you are a fan of reference or strictly flat/neutral signatures, this probably won't be for you, though - it's not tuned to appeal to everyone, and the bass quantity sites take a bit of getting used to initially.

IE800s
  • Build looks cheap in comparison. Cable is thin and rubbery, and looks like a cosmetic downgrade from the IE800 (never seen the original in the flesh, though)
  • They have taken understated to a whole new level. Matte black finish and rubber/plastic cable gives the impression of the 800s being a fairly entry level model
  • Accessories are good - like the fact 4.4mm and 2.5mm are included in the standard package
  • Fit is fiddly for me, as I have large ear canals. Proprietary tip connector and ultra short nozzles remove a lot of tip-swapping options. Fits perfectly in my fiancee's tiny ears though
  • Sound is beautifully balanced, but can be quite polite and laid back - not the most dynamic
  • Nice tilt in the sub bass to give a low end solidity and extension to the sound, and slopes down into the mid bass. Not as bassy as the Atlas, but has great texture and quality. Can still slam a little when required.
  • Organic mids, with good natural resolution and clarity. Medium note thickness. Nice edge to guitar and strong instruments due to relatively light weight.
  • Highs are beautifully smooth. Not overly airy, but no sharpness or harshness and excellent extension.
  • Soundstage is possibly the same size as the Atlas, but feels bigger as the instrument size is smaller on the stage. Separation feels more distinct over the Atlas as a result.
  • Tuning is a gentle U shape, with mugs sitting in quite a neutral position - the Goldilocks zone (not too forward or too backward)
  • Tone of the monitor is more towards a slightly warm neutral, whereas the Atlas has a warmer and richer tonality
  • IE800s requires more power to drive, but not huge amounts
  • More of an "audiophile" tuning, with no major areas of emphasis apart from the sub bass. The balance makes it feel more laid back than the Atlas, and can be a little lacking in dynamism as a result
  • Remarkably relaxing and smooth sound you can drift into.
Will put some proper A/B in my review of the Atlas which will be posted pretty soon, but the takeaway is that for me personally, they are both great sounding IEMs but I prefer the Atlas. It sounds like a really well mastered live album from your favorite band, full of energy and zing, and bone rattling sound. The IE800s sounds more like an Unplugged album from the same artist - more downbeat and considered, but can lack a little life from time to time.

Hope that helps?
Thanks for the assist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back