flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 4, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #10,306 of 39,414
Man, what's with all this talk about hybrid/dynamic IEMs recently? It's almost as if you guys were expecting Jomo Audio to come out with a brand new, tune-able hybrid CIEM...

34318311_806602289549126_7424609951986745344_o.jpg

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #10,307 of 39,414
Questyle and their Current Mode amplification tech don't play nicely with the Zeus-XR. As yoi say, it hisses, plus it also flattens the differences between the two modes (XIV and R) on the Zeus to something that is almost inaudible. I'm guessing something there is playing with the impedance curves of the BAs in the Zeus, but I haven't spent anywhere near enough time in the Sound Science forums to make an educated or uneducated guess as to why. It also happens on the balanced and SE outputs of their CMA400i desktop DAC/amp with the XR.

The iFi IEMatch played quite nicely with the single ended output from the QP2R (don't have the 2.5mm model) to alleviate hiss, but the signature was still a little bit of a hybrid between the two normal XR sigs if memory serves.

The QP2R plays beautifully with the other IEMs I tried it with, though - the Andromeda sounded particularly impressive. It's definitely on my list of high-end sources I'd like to own at some point, and is the reason I picked up the CMA400i for use at home.
Atlas is a sublime pairing and in my brief listening with Legend X it is great as well.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #10,308 of 39,414
Man, what's with all this talk about hybrid/dynamic IEMs recently? It's almost as if you guys were expecting Jomo Audio to come out with a brand new, tune-able hybrid CIEM...

Now THAT looks interesting :L3000:

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #10,309 of 39,414
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #10,310 of 39,414
@Wyville
I gathered from @Jackpot77's impressions on the Audio Primate blog that it is a great reference DAP, so I will keep an eye out for your review as well.

Do you exercise with your high-end gear? I really don't dare do that because of how much I sweat, especially when I am on the bike. I use my SE215 and have been surprised by how well they have held up getting soaked all the time, but I am already keeping an eye out for what might be a suitable option to replace them when they (inevitably) break. I guess stage monitors should be able to deal with sweat, but I produce an awful lot of it. :D

Not sure if the exercise is the Stationary bike or a bike outdoors-I bike outdoors when I can, and use Philips Fidelio S2 (which I believe have been discontinued, but can still be found). They don't compete with the likes of most of the iem's in this thread, but they are semi-open, which I think is really important outdoors, especially on a bike in traffic (and, SQ really isn't such an issue in these uses, not really focusing that much on air/imaging going down an hill). Probably others that let in sound out there as well.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #10,311 of 39,414
Totally screwable...just the way I like my iems, wine bottles and....oh wait, let's keep it decent :joy:
Hey bud I just looked at your signature and you have compiled quite a lineup of gear

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #10,312 of 39,414

Oohhhh... Want it!

tumblr_npzqk4l6o81teibvto1_400.gif

Darn it! No money. :p

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #10,313 of 39,414

Any details out yet on expected price or driver setup?

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #10,314 of 39,414
Not sure if the exercise is the Stationary bike or a bike outdoors-I bike outdoors when I can, and use Philips Fidelio S2 (which I believe have been discontinued, but can still be found). They don't compete with the likes of most of the iem's in this thread, but they are semi-open, which I think is really important outdoors, especially on a bike in traffic (and, SQ really isn't such an issue in these uses, not really focusing that much on air/imaging going down an hill). Probably others that let in sound out there as well. [/COLOR]
It is indoors for the moment because I am not riding my bike through London... I quite like being alive. :D

So for the moment I park my bike in the turbo trainer and do my time trials there, which of course means no ride wind and nothing to cool me down except for an open balcony door, so that means sweat is pouring after mere minutes.

Will go outdoors again once we are safely back in the Netherlands and then I won't use any music anyway because otherwise I would get too much of a bubble and not notice the cows crossing the road, which could end me up in a really embarrassing situation. :D

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #10,315 of 39,414
Any details out yet on expected price or driver setup?

Expected price is currently TBA, but based on the triple-bore setup shown in the photo, the Quatro will have at least three drivers. Considering the product's name, I'd bet it has four drivers in - possibly - a 3+1 configuration. I'll be officially covering the event for THL this Saturday, so I can assure you that there'll be no shortage of information (as well as sound impressions) for both the Melange series and the Pro Audio Series for all you guys to enjoy. :D

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #10,316 of 39,414
i get zero hiss on my Zeus XR with the WM1A

plus 20-25 hours of battery life , always a huge (+) for me

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #10,317 of 39,414
It is indoors for the moment because I am not riding my bike through London... I quite like being alive. :D

So for the moment I park my bike in the turbo trainer and do my time trials there, which of course means no ride wind and nothing to cool me down except for an open balcony door, so that means sweat is pouring after mere minutes.

Will go outdoors again once we are safely back in the Netherlands and then I won't use any music anyway because otherwise I would get too much of a bubble and not notice the cows crossing the road, which could end me up in a really embarrassing situation. :D
You should move to Amsterdam. I was here a couple of weeks ago and boy, do bycicles rule there . Loved the city by the way and their fries .

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #10,318 of 39,414
You should move to Amsterdam. I was here a couple of weeks ago and boy, do bycicles rule there . Loved the city by the way and their fries .
Visited for two days on holiday. Very nice city, caught a Van Gogh exhibit and visited the Rembrandt house museum while there. Taking a wrong turn could get you stuck in a haze of heavy pot smoke though, so there’s that.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #10,320 of 39,414
Nah, I can't afford Amsterdam... Way too close to Nic for comfort. :D

In the Netherlands bikes rule everywhere and I can't wait to get back. On my last visit it was like getting a culture shock seeing so many bikes and so few cars around, London is the complete opposite of that.
Visited for two days on holiday. Very nice city, caught a Van Gogh exhibit and visited the Rembrandt house museum while there. Taking a wrong turn could get you stuck in a haze of heavy pot smoke though, so there’s that.
Hehe, every time we smell it around here my wife and I comment "*sniff* Smells like home!" :D We smell it a lot around our flat and there is a boat here with a Dutch name and a lot of plants. I'm not saying the old couple are horticulturalists of the recreational kind, but you know...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back