flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 4, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #10,321 of 39,414
Jun 4, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #10,322 of 39,414
Nah, I can't afford Amsterdam... Way too close to Nic for comfort. :D

In the Netherlands bikes rule everywhere and I can't wait to get back. On my last visit it was like getting a culture shock seeing so many bikes and so few cars around, London is the complete opposite of that.

Hehe, every time we smell it around here my wife and I comment "*sniff* Smells like home!" :D We smell it a lot around our flat and there is a boat here with a Dutch name and a lot of plants. I'm not saying the old couple are horticulturalists of the recreational kind, but you know...
2ea349eb153d25f6cc003e7125560a82--hippy-couples.jpg

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #10,323 of 39,414
well, pot is a way better mind-expanding substance than alcohol (actually alcohol has zero mind-expanding abilities, it only makes you more dumb/animal the more you drink) - that is , if you treat it with respect and use it with moderation and not as a way to get wasted

back to our regular talk :gs1000smile:

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #10,324 of 39,414
I exercise (lift weights) with my A18t's, see nothing wrong with it. The only thing I don't do is box or hit the heavy bag with them, I don't think the pounding vibrations would be good for them. I think "ear sweat" is blown outta proportion and an overstated problem at least in my case.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #10,325 of 39,414
My money's on 3x DD and 1x BA for bass!

You just gots ta have that authentic slam in the eardrum only a tiny piece of vibrating tinsel in a metal tube can give you. Can't spell "bass" without BA, after all... :wink:

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #10,327 of 39,414
well, pot is a way better mind-expanding substance than alcohol (actually alcohol has zero mind-expanding abilities, it only makes you more dumb/animal the more you drink) - that is , if you treat it with respect and use it with moderation and not as a way to get wasted

back to our regular talk :gs1000smile:

It also makes music ultra awesome.

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #10,329 of 39,414
I tried the QP2R at a Jaben once through my Zeus-XR. Although I enjoyed how laidback-yet-neutral it was compared to the brighter and more energetic QP1R, the hiss was simply unbearable. Even scrolling on the centre wheel delivered static noises onto the IEMs. I'm not sure whether or not the demo unit was faulty, but it was certainly an unappealing experience.

There's a certainly a defining peak somewhere in the Vantage's treble that sets it apart from the Phantom, but I agree; this is - for now - as close as you can get to a hybrid Phantom.
I tried the QP2R wirb VE8 and hiss was already crazy. Since the XR is more sensitive I can only imagine. To me making a DAP with such a high noise floor for sensitive IEMs is a major conception mistake. Should any one give me the "but it is more geared toward blablabla". Any DAP at that price should sound at least good with anything save the most demanding cans.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #10,331 of 39,414
You didn't answer my IE800s vd Atlas question :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

Hey Mim - had the Atlas for a good few weeks now, and just picked up the IE800s from the FS boards yesterday for comparison. Will be writing up a proper A/B as part of my Atlas review, but what was the question? Might be able to offer some half baked opinions / lack of insight! :wink:

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #10,332 of 39,414
I exercise (lift weights) with my A18t's, see nothing wrong with it. The only thing I don't do is box or hit the heavy bag with them, I don't think the pounding vibrations would be good for them. I think "ear sweat" is blown outta proportion and an overstated problem at least in my case.
When I hit my weights I am not that worried either. I will sweat quite a bit (crossfit type training), but nothing like when I am on the bike. Sweat will pour (like emptying a water bottle on your head) and I have used cheap sports earbuds, but the sweat would drip along the ear hooks straight down onto the driver housing and cut out the sound. Mostly I am worried about what the sweat would do to the connectors over time (eg. corrosion). I think perhaps something with the cable down would be better (CA Comet?).

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #10,333 of 39,414
When I hit my weights I am not that worried either. I will sweat quite a bit (crossfit type training), but nothing like when I am on the bike. Sweat will pour (like emptying a water bottle on your head) and I have used cheap sports earbuds, but the sweat would drip along the ear hooks straight down onto the driver housing and cut out the sound. Mostly I am worried about what the sweat would do to the connectors over time (eg. corrosion). I think perhaps something with the cable down would be better (CA Comet?).

This is apparently what UE's new IP67 connectors were built for, so maybe a UE18+ for you somewhere down the line...? :wink:

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #10,334 of 39,414
This is apparently what UE's new IP67 connectors were built for, so maybe a UE18+ for you somewhere down the line...? :wink:
I know! Don't tempt me!

I saw some impressions of the new 3rd gen UE18+ and apparently they have a slightly different sound, brighter if I understand correctly. Of course there is the LIVE, which should be pretty much perfect for training... :D

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #10,335 of 39,414
Hey Mim - had the Atlas for a good few weeks now, and just picked up the IE800s from the FS boards yesterday for comparison. Will be writing up a proper A/B as part of my Atlas review, but what was the question? Might be able to offer some half baked opinions / lack of insight! :wink:
Well nothing like which is bestestest. Just respective merits and flaws in your opinion. Apart from the fact that the IE800s cable is crappety crap of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back