flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 4, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #9,676 of 39,414
I do. As long as you have a secure case that you can check on at all times, then it's all good.

I bought my CIEMs especially for travelling to work on the London Tube and loved using them because of their great isolation. It was a shame that my ears did not like CIEMs very much, but I might try again in the future.

The only thing is that because of the isolation, you need to be extra careful when moving around and be aware that you can't hear what is going on around you, so you need to keep looking around instead.

I am using the NYC subway system. Just got my first pair of customs yesterday (EE Phantoms). Wore them home on my commute and felt super anxious to ever remove them. In the event that I have to put them back into their case, I feel like I might drop them on the ground. I am only comfortable putting them away after I get back to my apartment where I can mess with it over top a desk or a table. I'm been using my Andromedas and they are a little easier to take in and out and put away while I'm on the go.

May 4, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #9,677 of 39,414
I am using the NYC subway system. Just got my first pair of customs yesterday (EE Phantoms). Wore them home on my commute and felt super anxious to ever remove them. In the event that I have to put them back into their case, I feel like I might drop them on the ground. I am only comfortable putting them away after I get back to my apartment where I can mess with it over top a desk or a table. I'm been using my Andromedas and they are a little easier to take in and out and put away while I'm on the go.

That’s cool, whatever your comfortable with and losing them would obviously be a tragedy. I have gadget insurance which in the uk costs about £16 ($20ish) per month and covers up to 6 items, my iPhoneX, MacBook Air, hugo2/ mojo my phantoms. Not that I walk around much with my H2, but it gives a great peice of mind. Is there some similar affordable insurance product available in the US?

May 4, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #9,678 of 39,414

I usually use a case that's a less rugged version of Westone's monitor vault and hang it off a belt hoop. That way, I take out or store the IEMs easily without having to hold multiple things at once and risk dropping the IEM. Whenever I have to take them out of my ears to listen to someone or something, I'd just loop them around my neck and hang them off my shoulder. Though, be careful to walk slowly when doing so, as the IEMs might collide against each other and get scratched/scuffed.

May 4, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #9,679 of 39,414
That’s cool, whatever your comfortable with and losing them would obviously be a tragedy. I have gadget insurance which in the uk costs about £16 ($20ish) per month and covers up to 6 items, my iPhoneX, MacBook Air, hugo2/ mojo my phantoms. Not that I walk around much with my H2, but it gives a great peice of mind. Is there some similar affordable insurance product available in the US?

Not sure. I'll need to look into that. It would be wonderful to have.

May 4, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #9,680 of 39,414
Going to apologize for my writing style right off the bat and my ADD. I applaud anyone that gets through it all.

Well, with word of the KSE1200 coming only days after I ended a multi month long iem search with a pair of Phantoms, I decided to drop back into the Headfoneshop and put the Phantom and KSE1500 head to head. Knowing they would sound very, very different from one another I was prepared to have to quickly cleanse my tonal palette between swaps so I brought along my ER4S as I figured 60 seconds on it between swaps will give me a good rinse off. I find I can adapt fairly easily to sound signatures as long as they don't have glaring issues so let's see how it went.

My source is a DX200 w/Amp4s but used Amp5 instead for the line out - like many I'm waiting a bit on a 4.4mm Ares II from EE so haven't heard the Phantom/4s combo yet. Have a OS849/CA02 combo inbound on Monday thanks to Tw6's positive review, so very excited to finally get all the pieces together.

Only had 45 mins in the shop before close, which in the end did not equate to much audition/comparison time as there were some issues.

Here's what I first noticed, the iems themselves feel very "inexpensive" to me. When handling them more conscientiously - like when changing tips - they gave me a very "plasticy" feel. No clue what the outershell is made of but my fingers are telling me straight up plastic. Rather thin as well.

Back to tips...I could only get a good seal with trip flanges. I couldn't get them inserted deep enough to make an adequate seal with anything but. I have small ears but haven't had this much trouble before. Clearly ymmv.

Next hiccup was I couldn't get enough gain through Amp5 line out before clipping. I was like "whaaaa"! Did not see that coming!! Playing out of phone out instead of line out helped slightly, but only by 3db or so before clipping again. Had to crank it to 140 or so to get that extra 3db too (I realize meaningless for non-DX200 owners but just know there's no reason that shouldn't be sufficient) Yes, I do listen at an above average volume but not ridiculously so. This was with -10db pad. I tried modulating the volume between the two devices (keeping the KSE amp from clipping) but that didn't help. I then took off the pad but at this point you no longer have the full volume of the KSE amp at your disposal before clipping once again. Up to 21 out of 25 on the dial. 22 or higher, no dice, yes distortion. So in reality you're not really gaining 10db of useable gain. Regardless, this still wasn't loud enough for my tastes before I could hear clipping...again. Maybe a 6db gain.

I then tried the SP1000 SS as the source, this was slightly more powerful but could still easily induce clipping in highly-dynamic passages at sufficient volume. Keep in mind the clipping I've been speaking to is only audible clipping - as in not clipping on the level meter on the KSE amp. At this point in time I concluded that this KSE is defective lol. I was assured it's not and that I just listen too loud. Regardless of how loud I listen I've never heard clipping like this before in any audio product so ya, going back to thinking it's got a problem. Though, even if this amp has an issue I doubt fixing it will add gain, lol. Might not just be enough for some of us?

Despite all of this I was still able to get some very brief lower volume impressions. I found the bass adequate in quantity. No it doesn't plumb the depths but it's speed and texture make up for it. Mids were a little lean for my tastes but the resolution and clarity on hand are the best I've heard on an iem. Compared to the Phantom you could call them a little recessed but I do think they are slightly forward on the Phantom and I prefer them here. Treble is super resolved, effortless and that extension! I've never heard anything like it in an iem. I find the upper treble so extended and airy that it tends to light-up the stage in songs that can take advantage of this trick. Most of my music does not however, lol. The Phantom is quite a bit darker sounding while still retaining all the detail I would really need for the less nuanced music I tend to listen to. The KSE is technically brilliant but do I find myself truly enjoying my music more with them than Phantoms or does it's open-window transparency (not that Phantom isn't just in A/B) have me nerding out on superficialities rather than getting lost in song? I wasn't sure yet.

On to soundstage. Their neutrality clearly helps create a deep, airy, relatively wide stage with above average height. Separation is superb. Makes sense right? With a generous amount of space between instruments. Layering was decent due to generous depth and high macro-detail retrieval - vocals don't pop out like they can with the Phantom, though this helps extend the depth of the soundstage. I find layering to be a rather tough job on any iem with their limited depth. The Phantom is more intimate sounding in comparison. Think lounge (not smokey though) as apposed to hall type venue. So impressive soundstage for the KSE but I did not find their imaging to be the most precise. A little diffuse sounding, reminding me of HD800. This could be due to the general neutral signature, ample separation and air, tri flange tips, component or cable matchup etc. I ran out of time to try other daps and cables. I won't come out and say imaging isn't as strong as the rest of it's soundstaging abilities just that it didn't call attention to itself in my little time with them and that surprised me due to their tremendous resolve and soundstaging abilities.

Dynamics were hard to judge as I'm not used to listening at this lower volume required so my reference was thrown off. Didn't "seem" lacking though, even in bass.

It should be a given that the KSE offered superior micro-detail than the Phantoms. Exorbitant amounts of plankton, but your music has to want to be uncovered in such a revealing way and once again most of mine would rather wear a t-shirt in the pool than a string bikini. You might be wondering what some of this super shy music could be. Let's see, most recent album I dig but sounds pretty poor...Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest as an example.

Listening with the KSE - even at low volume - got me thinking...I don't think even the recording/mastering engineers that worked on these songs heard them in such a detailed, transparent and stark manner and that isn't a positive for the KSE. Why would I possibly want to be able to hear a track more clearly than the folks who created it? Yes, the KSE made many of my "tolerable" recording even less so and yes, this clearly happens with all highly revealing gear but this was different. These albums were nearly unlistenable now. The KSE got me thinking that what if the problems I was hearing in these albums purely just weren't ever discovered in the production process? This thought only entered my mind because they were so glaring now, even more so than before. Like, "How could they miss that?" It's one thing where the production team tried their best, failed, ended up with a sub-par recording and this gets easily exposed by the KSE. No biggie really, right? What did you expect? But when what we thought were "good" recordings get picked apart and laid bare by the KSE too...well...Phantom? Ok ok or whatever your preference. How can you master an album to sound good on a car stereo but also great on a electrostatic speaker inside your ear canal? I guess you could say the same for any iem really, but the big difference is the KSE doesn't sound like any other iem.

You know, what I took away from this the most was the massive juxtaposition between the crystal clear - like I've never heard in an iem - sound of the KSE and it's clipping issues, ranging from low-level super annoying distorted nasties (this really was the most frustrating as you had super cleanliness married with distortions just audible enough to royally piss you off) all the way to full-on loud distortion crunch. Was the first time I've actually got anxiety from listening to a piece of gear lol.
Clearly I really need to listen to a pair of KSE before I can be sure of what they truly offer. But as it stands right now, they are getting :ghost:

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #9,681 of 39,414
Going to apologize for my writing style right off the bat and my ADD. I applaud anyone that gets through it all.
giphy.gif

Just kidding, excellent post. You weren't lying about that ADD though huh. Reminds me of the emails @Wyville used to send me :D

May 4, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #9,682 of 39,414
Great impressions. The KSE1500, which I own, require quite some time. First of all it is not so easy to find the right source. Of course you can use it as USB DAC and it works fine, but you won't take full advantage of the potential. The WM1Z just doesn't work. I couldn't find a volume / gain / pad combo that sounded right. So far my best source is the Lotoo Paw Gold, out of the light out you have a resolution champion. It isn't very kind to badly recorded music (60% of what I own).

Now to the second part...tips. I tried them ALL. Westone Star tips and Spinfit CP100 are fine. But not perfect. So I tried custom sleeves. I have the Sensaphonics full sleeves and just received the Custom Art custom tips, so will post pics and report soon. But long story short, the Sensaphonics sound great, but are huge and not convenient at all, and they REALLY change the signature. The Custom Art should fit my needs betteer, to be confirmed.

May 4, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #9,683 of 39,414
I use my custom Phantoms on my commute to and from NYC daily, I'm on Metro North, not subway though. Got customs specifically for their isolation, and I don't need to put them back in their EE case from the time I leave home until I get to the office. Fantastic thus far.

Only thing is I tend to notice people staring at me kinda often. Most of the time it's probably because I'm freakishly gorgeous, but other times I see them trying to figure out what the hell I'm wearing in my ears, and if I'm just dangling a bare copper cable around my neck.

That said I'm usually in midtown, if I did have to venture into more seedy areas, I'd put them out of sight.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #9,684 of 39,414
Not sure. I'll need to look into that. It would be wonderful to have.

I need to look into this with my wife. She owns an insurance agency and writes in over 30 states. I need to see if she offers this type of insurance and if she does, I'll let you all know in case you have interest. Never thought about it.

I use my custom Phantoms on my commute to and from NYC daily, I'm on Metro North, not subway though. Got customs specifically for their isolation, and I don't need to put them back in their EE case from the time I leave home until I get to the office. Fantastic thus far.

Only thing is I tend to notice people staring at me kinda often. Most of the time it's probably because I'm freakishly gorgeous, but other times I see them trying to figure out what the hell I'm wearing in my ears, and if I'm just dangling a bare copper cable around my neck.

That said I'm usually in midtown, if I did have to venture into more seedy areas, I'd put them out of sight.

What are you a farmer??? :wink:. HA HA HA.....

May 4, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #9,686 of 39,414
Great impressions. The KSE1500, which I own, require quite some time. First of all it is not so easy to find the right source. Of course you can use it as USB DAC and it works fine, but you won't take full advantage of the potential. The WM1Z just doesn't work. I couldn't find a volume / gain / pad combo that sounded right. So far my best source is the Lotoo Paw Gold, out of the light out you have a resolution champion. It isn't very kind to badly recorded music (60% of what I own).

Now to the second part...tips. I tried them ALL. Westone Star tips and Spinfit CP100 are fine. But not perfect. So I tried custom sleeves. I have the Sensaphonics full sleeves and just received the Custom Art custom tips, so will post pics and report soon. But long story short, the Sensaphonics sound great, but are huge and not convenient at all, and they REALLY change the signature. The Custom Art should fit my needs betteer, to be confirmed.

I agree that the KSE1500 with the WM1Z don't work well together, while I'm very happy with the SP1000, for the tips I settle for the Comply Tsx-100 even if there are quite few fellows that are very happy with the Spinfit.
Ambient Acoustic is another company that can provide custom sleeves with different nozzle length, I'm very intrigue by this possibility and teh cost is $70 per pair, not too expensive.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXX5rMxB1gU/?taken-by=ambient_acoustics

@ctsooner22, I never tried the Stax but I can guarantee the KSE has great bass (quality), you gave me a great picture of the 2 channel world, based on my (limited) experience the KSE is what you can find closer to a reference audio system for earphones. You have to try it!

May 4, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #9,688 of 39,414
I agree that the KSE1500 with the WM1Z don't work well together, while I'm very happy with the SP1000, for the tips I settle for the Comply Tsx-100 even if there are quite few fellows that are very happy with the Spinfit.
Ambient Acoustic is another company that can provide custom sleeves with different nozzle length, I'm very intrigue by this possibility and teh cost is $70 per pair, not too expensive.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXX5rMxB1gU/?taken-by=ambient_acoustics

@ctsooner22, I never tried the Stax but I can guarantee the KSE has great bass (quality), you gave me a great picture of the 2 channel world, based on my (limited) experience the KSE is what you can find closer to a reference audio system for earphones. You have to try it!
The Custom Art tips are roughly the same, around 50 euros, and great quality.

May 4, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #9,689 of 39,414
Anyone here commute to work on public transportation with their ciems? Is this a bad idea?
Me me, I cycle with my ciems in without seal, then I pop them in properly when I'm safely on a bus (1hr) then get off the bus and walk to school with it still in my ears. No life threatening situations yet...
Regarding the safety of the ciems themselves, they always sit in the deepest depths of my bag when not in use... No one's ever gonna find a black case in a black bag with a black jacket... You get the idea xD. I use the noble ultra thin cable so not many ppl actually notice the ciems unless they look at my ears

May 4, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #9,690 of 39,414

I would think that "a little easier to take in and out" while riding NYC subway is a bad thing :wink: At least with CIEMs, you will know for sure and be able to prevent when someone is trying to rip it out of your ears :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back