flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 5, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #9,706 of 39,419
Sensaphonics full sleeves and Custom Art custom tips. The Custom Art are better quality silicone and more convenient. Haven't compared sound yet.
IMG_20180505_115303.jpg

IMG_20180505_115327_Bokeh.jpg
IMG_20180505_115343.jpg

May 5, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #9,707 of 39,419
I went through that bling phase with CIEM designs. My quest is to find the right color and transparency to match my skin color now. Even if it tramples on the hearing aid look side.

With the 2-wire, it's pretty seamless and stealth. I need to zoom in a few times in the mirror to notice that they are there. I'm going to try to have the transparency reduced 25-50% on my next set...

My problem now is how to make the cable not draw attention...

Untitled.png

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #9,708 of 39,419
Great impressions. The KSE1500, which I own, require quite some time. First of all it is not so easy to find the right source. Of course you can use it as USB DAC and it works fine, but you won't take full advantage of the potential. The WM1Z just doesn't work. I couldn't find a volume / gain / pad combo that sounded right. So far my best source is the Lotoo Paw Gold, out of the light out you have a resolution champion. It isn't very kind to badly recorded music (60% of what I own).

If I may ask you a favour, could you try this out on the LPG, to see if it helps tame the treble on the 1500?

1) On your LPG, open any one of the five User EQ settings
2) Choose Filter 04 and then set: FO = 9000Hz; Gain = -5dB; Type = BPF; Q = 1
3) Make sure all the other filters have a Gain = 0

I know you are not an EQ person. I am actually considering getting a KSE1200 in the near future and, am interested to know if that helps to smooth the treble down.

May 5, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #9,709 of 39,419
If I may ask you a favour, could you try this out on the LPG, to see if it helps tame the treble on the 1500?

1) On your LPG, open any one of the five User EQ settings
2) Choose Filter 04 and then set: FO = 9000Hz; Gain = -5dB; Type = BPF; Q = 1
3) Make sure all the other filters have a Gain = 0

I know you are not an EQ person. I am actually considering getting a KSE1200 in the near future and, am interested to know if that helps to smooth the treble down.
I will try when the kids leave me sure. But the KSE1500 treble is great as it is. You should find happiness with tips.

May 5, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #9,710 of 39,419
I will try when the kids leave me sure. But the KSE1500 treble is great as it is. You should find happiness with tips.

Thanks. Tips would also be one of the options. Based on my estimate, your treble tolerance seems to be slightly better than mine. And a large portion of my collection are also not so well recorded. So it probably wouldn't make sense to buy it, if I could only enjoy very few albums. But if the EQ helps to tame it down, then that is a big plus.

May 5, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #9,711 of 39,419
IMO KSA1200 isnt going to make it portable enough and perhaps will make the KSE1200 less functional than KSE1500. If Shure was smart they will look into partnering with a DAP maker to fit the KSA1200 amp circuit into a DAP and if they are worried the market will not want it and it will be a waste of time they cam do a limited release of 40 unit (I'm certain it will sell out in matter of a few days if not hours).

Shure what are you waiting for, you've done the hard part which is getting the IEM right, you certainly got the amp right now all you need is a dap that can run it. KSA1200 wouldnt make it portable enough, it still a double stake and arguably lake of EQ isnt going to help it.

May 5, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #9,712 of 39,419
I hope you get them back switly, without any delays!
BTW, undercured shells can sometimes happen with very dark or opaque acrylic colours, since it takes longer for UV light to penetrate these.
Are your shells a very dark or opaque colour, David?

Not opaque but darker blue transparent shells. Apparently it’s human error this time it was taken out too soon, but thanks for that video I learned something :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #9,714 of 39,419
Sensaphonics full sleeves and Custom Art custom tips. The Custom Art are better quality silicone and more convenient. Haven't compared sound yet.

Mim', when you say full sleeves, I'm not familiar with that - do these have a way to insert an IEM inside them (by the user), or are they manufactured around a customer-supplied IEM, only removable if the sleeve is destroyed?

...or something else?

May 5, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #9,715 of 39,419
Mim', when you say full sleeves, I'm not familiar with that - do these have a way to insert an IEM inside them (by the user), or are they manufactured around a customer-supplied IEM, only removable if the sleeve is destroyed?

...or something else?

Mim posted a couple of pics on the last page or so. Full sleeve basically makes it look like a full ciem, custom art "just" do the tips that slide on the nozzle.

Question for Mim whilst I'm here. How well do the CA tips stay on the nozzle? That was always one of my main fears, that it would come off the nozzle when removing the iem from your ear!

May 5, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #9,716 of 39,419
Of course it's all a matter of personal preference, but when I tested westone's UM56 custom tips, those didn't work for me too well. The custom tips go on top of the nozzle and will spin around it. Custom eartips have to be inserted into earcanal just like CIEM, the corkscrew style, they don't go in straight like a regular silicone tip. And while I was putting those in, the shell was spinning around the nozzle. Full sleeve goes over the body (partially) of the shell and should "stick" to it better as you putting them in your ears.

westone_um56-09.jpg

May 5, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #9,718 of 39,419
I went through that bling phase with CIEM designs. My quest is to find the right color and transparency to my skin color now. Even if it tramples on the hearing aid look side.

With the 2-wire, it's pretty seamless and stealth. I need to zoom in a few times in the mirror to notice that they are there. I'm going to try to have the transparency reduced 25-50% on my next set...

My problem now is how to make the cable not draw attention...

You need to try the linum bax, it's super thin and skin colored.

May 6, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #9,720 of 39,419

...or something else?

You see the difference in my pics. Some are full sleeves into which the IEM can be inserted. They are quite combersome in my opinion. Custom tips are just the tips bit molded to your ears.

Mim posted a couple of pics on the last page or so. Full sleeve basically makes it look like a full ciem, custom art "just" do the tips that slide on the nozzle.

Question for Mim whilst I'm here. How well do the CA tips stay on the nozzle? That was always one of my main fears, that it would come off the nozzle when removing the iem from your ear!

I just got them but that doesn't seem more of a risk than with regular tips.

Of course it's all a matter of personal preference, but when I tested westone's UM56 custom tips, those didn't work for me too well. The custom tips go on top of the nozzle and will spin around it. Custom eartips have to be inserted into earcanal just like CIEM, the corkscrew style, they don't go in straight like a regular silicone tip. And while I was putting those in, the shell was spinning around the nozzle. Full sleeve goes over the body (partially) of the shell and should "stick" to it better as you putting them in your ears.

The key issue with the tips is getting them on and in the right way. In the case of the KSE1500, the Sensaphonics full sleeves are really not great from an ergonomics point of view. They are huge, and the silicone is very...sticky somehow. Ideally you need lubricant. Plus they really change the sound. On the other hand the customs tips are better quality and much more portable. And the sounds stays closer to the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back