flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #9,421 of 39,414
Guys, cold welding is very expensive. I spoke with Eric and Suyang at EA cables about it. They said it's cost prohibitive, but realize how great it can be. Again, implementation is most important and just because they use it doesn't mean their cables will also sound better. It's a great start though, that's for sure. Has anyone heard these cables?

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #9,422 of 39,414
Guys, cold welding is very expensive. I spoke with Eric and Suyang at EA cables about it. They said it's cost prohibitive, but realize how great it can be. Again, implementation is most important and just because they use it doesn't mean their cables will also sound better. It's a great start though, that's for sure. Has anyone heard these cables?

I'm wondering if the price paid for a premium non-cold welded cable is worth it if you could get a cold welded cable for say 2/3 or 1/2 as much. I would guess the greatest improvement with cold welding would be resolution and clarity (better signal path) which is really the hallmark of TOTL monitors. I will reach out to a few of these cold welded cable makers and see if I can get a demo unit.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #9,423 of 39,414
@Deezel177 I've seen you talk about the VE8 in the past and you seemed to be quite enamored by it. Is there a review in the future coming out? I ended up trying the Fourte even though they were universals, and I'm not sure they are going to work for me fit wise even though I love the sound so I'm looking at other options in customs to get an idea.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #9,424 of 39,414
how does silverfi's more affordable cables (under $1000) hold up against market competition? I've been interested in them but from what I've read, they are all rather warm and thick sounding. how is their detail retrieval? And if anyone has heard the leonidas black edition, is there anything close to that out there?

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #9,425 of 39,414
how does silverfi's more affordable cables (under $1000) hold up against market competition? I've been interested in them but from what I've read, they are all rather warm and thick sounding. how is their detail retrieval? And if anyone has heard the leonidas black edition, is there anything close to that out there?

Warm and thick sounds ideal. In most instances I'm looking for a cable to be crystal clear and increase bass quantity and overall resolution.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #9,426 of 39,414
I'm wondering if the price paid for a premium non-cold welded cable is worth it if you could get a cold welded cable for say 2/3 or 1/2 as much. I would guess the greatest improvement with cold welding would be resolution and clarity (better signal path) which is really the hallmark of TOTL monitors. I will reach out to a few of these cold welded cable makers and see if I can get a demo unit.

Maybe and maybe not. Again, what are all the components being used? How are they configured/braided? Then it's about the connections. I've heard cold welded cables sounds like (dog excrement) because they are using poor quality connections, inferior wires, inferior dielectrics....not welded properly.....implementation as I've said is most important.

In speaking with many of the reviewers adn manufacturer's, there are a few cables that seem to really stand out as well built and sounds great in the IEM world that we are in on this forum. EA is just one. None that folks have shared seem to be able to afford a cold weld machine and that's because they are in such a niche market, they can't afford one. Most who can afford them aren't making IEM cables yet. Atlas from the UK is one of the few who seem to sell all types of cables, but they are only using OCC copper and nothing I found was plated, or silver or palladium coated or gold coated...There are hundreds of variables and ways to make this mouse trap, but only a few seem to have mastered it to the point where their cables DO sound better, depending on what you like and don't like and what you are hooking them up to. They won't change the IEM, only do some small things to the overall presentation. YMMV

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #9,427 of 39,414
Hope it's not going to be another derailment, but for fellow head-fiers who are frequent to FB audio groups, anybody besides Rudi tried those Rosenkrantz anti-vibration stickers? I know it's a butt of many jokes now, and I hate to be a hypocrite since I usually preach to have an open mind and try it first before arguing about it, no matter how ridiculous it sounds...

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #9,428 of 39,414
Hope it's not going to be another derailment, but for fellow head-fiers who are frequent to FB audio groups, anybody besides Rudi tried those Rosenkrantz anti-vibration stickers? I know it's a butt of many jokes now, and I hate to be a hypocrite since I usually preach to have an open mind and try it first before arguing about it, no matter how ridiculous it sounds...

Well RF/EMI in the air around us can certainly cause interference but I don't think those address that do they? I won't judge you until you say that the leather case on your DAP makes a difference, then I'll call BS but I don't see you getting drunk on that much koolaid.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #9,430 of 39,414

Your question is similar to what happen in thai social media recently. There is one shop selling this kind of Quantum sticker claimed to use Lantanum? powder that has electromagnetic effects. Stick to smartphone to help Noise Reduction Optimize for the device performance. I graduate from engineering and found this so ridiculous.I still want those who claims difference to do blind test.

I'm not sure about that rosenkraz sticker though. You could read review & shop in e-earphone.

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopd...00000078804&search=rosenkranz&sort=price_desc [SOLD OUT]
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopd...00000121018&search=rosenkranz&sort=price_desc
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopd...00000083290&search=rosenkranz&sort=price_desc
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopd...00000083291&search=rosenkranz&sort=price_desc

561000003434801.JPEG

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #9,431 of 39,414
With regard to cables I would also like to add one thought, the difference between the 64 audio apex modules M15 and M20 is far greater than any cable I've ever heard. I am much more a fan of this system than cables because the modules are cheap and have a massive impact on sound. A18t with M15 vs M20 is practically a totally different signature.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #9,432 of 39,414
Haven't heard any of the Silverfi's myself, but understand that Silverfi aims towards tone and timbre, which is why I have been interested in them for a while now. ...and why the R5 tops my "will never be able to afford" wish list. :D

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #9,433 of 39,414
On the topic of cables, can anyone recommend a cable with overmolded 2pin connectors with heat shrink ear guides? Tia

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #9,434 of 39,414
With regard to cables I would also like to add one thought, the difference between the 64 audio apex modules M15 and M20 is far greater than any cable I've ever heard. I am much more a fan of this system than cables because the modules are cheap and have a massive impact on sound. A18t with M15 vs M20 is practically a totally different signature.

I'm a big cable believer (ok, make it a HUGE believer), but my take on cable use is always to fine tune the sound. If you need drastic changes and don't want to use EQ, you got IEM with a wrong sound sig to begin with. M15 vs M20 is a good example of how isolation can affect the sound, even 15dB vs 20dB makes a noticeable difference in this case.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #9,435 of 39,414
Dissussing about cold welding. I wonder if using just clamping technique applying for connect IEM cable to plugs, would the connection become untightened in some day? I think soldering is stronger connection especially for portable purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back