flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #9,407 of 39,419
... btw, as someone who is happily married and with my oldest (a teenage daughter), all I have to say - Good luck trying to analyze how women think and the logic behind wearing make up :p

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #9,409 of 39,419
I don't really have any horse in the race here, but since it is an interesting topic just want to add some more perspective :)

The tendency to dress up our appearance (for each gender), and for females specifically, wear make up, can also be positively related to self-esteem. That is, when women are confident they tend to match their appearance accordingly, while women low in self-esteem might have a tendency to 'hide' themselves more with less flashy clothes and makeup. Take as an example the stereotype of a nerdy girl, or a powerful businesswoman. This also holds true for men, that might start to pay more attention to the way they dress once their confidence goes up. In general, there is also an innate psychological tendency to match the way we interact with the world with our self image. For instance, in some cases people low in self-esteem have more problems accepting compliments from other, because they don't feel it is true (it doesn't match their reality, which makes it hard to accept). For those people, it is more likely they will underdress than overdress. Other people in turn might tend to rely on their self-esteem from others, which manifests itself in fishing for compliments. These people might be more likely to overdress in order to compensate.

So when it comes to self-esteem and makeup, it is more likely an interaction with other variables (for example, how outgoing someone is) that determines whether a girl with either low or high self-esteem will wear makeup, rather than a binary scale (makeup = low self esteem). Both can be true.

Just like that woman who had plastic surgery and then got sued when the kids didn't look like her at all, was years ago but one of the most absurd stories ever. At what point does it cross the line into dishonesty? I agree with the shyness theory to an extent. Women figured out the power of makeup long ago(google makeup vs nomakeup), whether that is dishonesty is subjective. I wouldn't buy a car that had seat covers that I couldn't remove and look under before buying.

... btw, as someone who is happily married and with my oldest (a teenage daughter), all I have to say - Good luck trying to analyze how women think and the logic behind wearing make up :p

You can understand how they think when you realize they actually aren't thinking (logic) but instead it's just feelings. From that perspective you stop trying to make sense of it. When something is bothering them, they just want you to listen to them rant. I say something like "wow, tell me more" when they're talking about it and repeat what they say word for word every couple minutes to show I'm listening. Works like a charm. Solving their problem is not what they want, it's the worst thing you can do since it ends the talk and prevents them from going on and on about their feelings. They just want to get it all out. When it's over; from your mind nothing will be solved but from their mind everything will be solved and then you get the "I'm so glad we talked" or "I feel better now". Often they won't want to talk about their problem, in that case keep asking until they do(a test to see how much you care), this can take awhile but it's key to keeping them on an even keel.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #9,410 of 39,419
Just like that woman who had plastic surgery and then got sued when the kids didn't look like her at all, was years ago but one of the most absurd stories ever. At what point does it cross the line into dishonesty? I agree with the shyness theory to an extent. Women figured out the power of makeup long ago(google makeup vs nomakeup), whether that is dishonesty is subjective. I wouldn't buy a car that had seat covers that I couldn't remove and look under before buying.

Furthermore, I'd never consider buying a car that has bodyfiller and paintwork that's been touched-up by the owner. You just know it's going to be very high-maintenance & probably end in regret :D

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #9,411 of 39,419
Back to CIEMs, is there anyone here who's made the effort to make their own cables?

I'm not a cable fan, as such, but I bet those of you who spend hundreds of bucks on cables could save yourself big money by buying high-grade cable by the metre, from a wholesaler, and then soldering your own terminations onto it.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #9,412 of 39,419
Back to CIEMs, is there anyone here who's made the effort to make their own cables?

I'm not a cable fan, as such, but I bet those of you who spend hundreds of bucks on cables could save yourself big money by buying high-grade cable by the metre, from a wholesaler, and then soldering your own terminations onto it.

Yes back to audio talk but I have been thinking for some time that things just haven't been the same around this thread. I was going to bring it up but didn't want to ruffle any feathers. There was a time when this thread was epic, one could go so far as to say my belly was sore from all the laughter. I know we can get back to that place. Make the 17 Flagship IEM shootout great again, keep the pet memes coming.

I used to think cables were BS. It wasn't until I had a system that was extremely high resolution that I realized they do make a noticeable difference. I am excited about the tri-copper and the janus d atm.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #9,413 of 39,419
I used to think cables were BS. It wasn't until I had a system that was extremely high resolution that I realized they do make a noticeable difference. I am excited about the tri-copper and the janus d atm.

Actually, I do acknowledge that different cable topologies have different capacitance, resistance, etc. :)

More than anything, my skepticism towards cables is directed at the borderline-criminal pricing in the cable industry. It's some of the most abhorent behaviour, and I view it with contempt.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #9,414 of 39,419
Actually, I do acknowledge that different cable topologies have different capacitance, resistance, etc. :)

More than anything, my skepticism towards cables is directed at the borderline-criminal pricing in the cable industry. It's some of the most abhorent behaviour, and I view it with contempt.

I can't see it that way because I have no idea how much said cable costs and what goes into making it. I'd love to see what goes into a TOTL cable from raw materials -> sale. You've got people utilizing cryogenics with cables, no idea what else goes into some of these cables whether it works or not doesn't matter, I know cryo isn't cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #9,415 of 39,419
pet memes
Roses are red, almost a repeat
ezgif-4-1e74721dec.gif
(r/boottoobig)

i'll try posting something stupid everyday

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #9,416 of 39,419
Guys, I have known many in the high end audio industry who started their own cable companies. This was in teh 70's when it was just becoming 'big'. I had a pair of Polk audio (10's) and paid the extra $25 to get the matching cables. They were these cool (at teh time) thick, braided, multi color cables that made such a difference and that was a lower resolution, mid fi speaker. Then I met Bruce Brisson, who was the lead designer for a new company called Monster Cables. He worked for this guy Noel Lee (still the owner) who was a flamboyant control freak and a GREAT PT Barnum marketer. Around that time in the late 70's early 80's a really nice guy, Bill Lowe started a company called Audioquest. Bill still owns AQ (he has the same brand of speakers are I do, Vandersteen's and we both ironically have the same color, Audio Havana Black) and hires great engineers to push what cables, power and now formerly, headphones can do.

These guys understand that most folks aren't able to do cold welding (most sonically transparent connection you can make as of today). Most folks are limited to the type of solder they can get and then it's also about the precision. Too much solder on the joint and it may hold, but it will ruin the sound. Very few folks can understand all of this to teh point of making great solder joints at a home bench. Just like in an part of life, implementation is the MOST important factor. I have yet to hear any home made cable in the 2 channel world that can hold a candle to a properly made commercial cable/wire. Even Audioquest's less expensive stuff they sell at Best Buy usually sounds better than the home made stuff I've heard over the years. They can make it look great and pretend is sounds as good, but in the end, the ears are the final judge. JMHO adn experience in a. different world.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #9,417 of 39,419
Yes back to audio talk but I have been thinking for some time that things just haven't been the same around this thread. I was going to bring it up but didn't want to ruffle any feathers. There was a time when this thread was epic, one could go so far as to say my belly was sore from all the laughter. I know we can get back to that place. Make the 17 Flagship IEM shootout great again, keep the pet memes coming.
Like others have commented, FitEar are the unicorns of this hobby. They have a custom fit that I would love to have (really short stems, like they did on the Titan), but there is no way that I will be able to get them.
I think the title of "Unicorn" still belongs to the Sony JustEar CIEMs. Heck, even every single unit is a uniquely-tuned unicorn. :D
If I had to go Japanese Unicorn, I would no more tempted by the Sony customs.
So Fido helped me make the perfect merger of TOTL audio and pet memes....
XgE45.gif

...Fido didn't like me much after this. :D

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #9,418 of 39,419
Guys, I have known many in the high end audio industry who started their own cable companies. This was in teh 70's when it was just becoming 'big'. I had a pair of Polk audio (10's) and paid the extra $25 to get the matching cables. They were these cool (at teh time) thick, braided, multi color cables that made such a difference and that was a lower resolution, mid fi speaker. Then I met Bruce Brisson, who was the lead designer for a new company called Monster Cables. He worked for this guy Noel Lee (still the owner) who was a flamboyant control freak and a GREAT PT Barnum marketer. Around that time in the late 70's early 80's a really nice guy, Bill Lowe started a company called Audioquest. Bill still owns AQ (he has the same brand of speakers are I do, Vandersteen's and we both ironically have the same color, Audio Havana Black) and hires great engineers to push what cables, power and now formerly, headphones can do.

These guys understand that most folks aren't able to do cold welding (most sonically transparent connection you can make as of today). Most folks are limited to the type of solder they can get and then it's also about the precision. Too much solder on the joint and it may hold, but it will ruin the sound. Very few folks can understand all of this to teh point of making great solder joints at a home bench. Just like in an part of life, implementation is the MOST important factor. I have yet to hear any home made cable in the 2 channel world that can hold a candle to a properly made commercial cable/wire. Even Audioquest's less expensive stuff they sell at Best Buy usually sounds better than the home made stuff I've heard over the years. They can make it look great and pretend is sounds as good, but in the end, the ears are the final judge. JMHO adn experience in a. different world.

Cool, found a company that cold welds IEM cables.

https://www.atlascables.com/hp-zeno-iem.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back