flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #9,392 of 39,419
OK, then, I'll elaborate a little:

• No make-up may indicate she has no urge (consciously, unconsciously, or both) to portray herself as other than she really is. In other words, it may indicate she is comfortable with who she is.

• No make-up may indicate she has no urge to attract attention in order to make her feel better about herself.

Either or both of the above points can relate to self-esteem.

Either or both of the above points can relate to a person's focus (consciously, unconsciously, or both) upon INTERNAL factors or EXTERNAL factors as a way to feel at peace with themselves and the world.
Men and women who (consciously, unconsciously, or both) feel that their sense of wellbeing is largely contingent upon external factors (wealth, partners, status symbols, people lavishing attention upon them, etc. etc.) are invariably insecure individuals because it is impossible to fully control external factors & circumstances. Insecure individuals can behave very possessively and in a generally unstable fashion (even going as far as OCD, etc.). Conversely, men and women who (consciously, unconsciously, or both) understand that their sense of wellbeing is largely contingent upon their own internal thought processes (which, given sufficient habitual focus and cognitive awareness, are amenable to the individual's self-control). Such people do not project unrealistic expectations onto the external world about what it 'owes' them, what material things they 'need', and how people 'should' behave towards them, in order to feel at peace with themselves.

I'm not stating the above as 100% infallible, absolute, incontrovertible fact, but it does account for a very large percentage of humankind, in a general sense, and it is really important to point out that it's not a binary thing - it's a continuum, with people generally being somewhere in between the two extremes.

Sorry for the OT!
I don't really have any horse in the race here, but since it is an interesting topic just want to add some more perspective :)

The tendency to dress up our appearance (for each gender), and for females specifically, wear make up, can also be positively related to self-esteem. That is, when women are confident they tend to match their appearance accordingly, while women low in self-esteem might have a tendency to 'hide' themselves more with less flashy clothes and makeup. Take as an example the stereotype of a nerdy girl, or a powerful businesswoman. This also holds true for men, that might start to pay more attention to the way they dress once their confidence goes up. In general, there is also an innate psychological tendency to match the way we interact with the world with our self image. For instance, in some cases people low in self-esteem have more problems accepting compliments from other, because they don't feel it is true (it doesn't match their reality, which makes it hard to accept). For those people, it is more likely they will underdress than overdress. Other people in turn might tend to rely on their self-esteem from others, which manifests itself in fishing for compliments. These people might be more likely to overdress in order to compensate.

So when it comes to self-esteem and makeup, it is more likely an interaction with other variables (for example, how outgoing someone is) that determines whether a girl with either low or high self-esteem will wear makeup, rather than a binary scale (makeup = low self esteem). Both can be true.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #9,393 of 39,419
I don't really have any horse in the race here, but since it is an interesting topic just want to add some more perspective :)

The tendency to dress up our appearance (for each gender), and for females specifically, wear make up, can also be positively related to self-esteem. That is, when women are confident they tend to match their appearance accordingly, while women low in self-esteem might have a tendency to 'hide' themselves more with less flashy clothes and makeup. Take as an example the stereotype of a nerdy girl, or a powerful businesswoman. This also holds true for men, that might start to pay more attention to the way they dress once their confidence goes up. In general, there is also an innate psychological tendency to match the way we interact with the world with our self image. For instance, in some cases people low in self-esteem have more problems accepting compliments from other, because they don't feel it is true (it doesn't match their reality, which makes it hard to accept). For those people, it is more likely they will underdress than overdress. Other people in turn might tend to rely on their self-esteem from others, which manifests itself in fishing for compliments. These people might be more likely to overdress in order to compensate.

So when it comes to self-esteem and makeup, it is more likely an interaction with other variables (for example, how outgoing someone is) that determines whether a girl with either low or high self-esteem will wear makeup, rather than a binary scale (makeup = low self esteem). Both can be true.
This writeup for sure has something to do with the looks of cables and IEM‘s (I mean on the meta-level) am I right? :wink:

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #9,394 of 39,419
This writeup for sure has something to do with the looks of cables and IEM‘s (I mean on the meta-level) am I right? :wink:
BLANG BLANG BRO
146020548528076.jpg

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #9,397 of 39,419

Oh, if I had a dime for every message I get asked about cable looks or "i got this cable because copper wires look cool" ...

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #9,399 of 39,419
I have a a good DIY technique to make a nice man thong out of spare IEM cables and carrying cases.
I think......I'm staying away from your classified ads. :ksc75smile:

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #9,400 of 39,419
OK, then, I'll elaborate a little:

• No make-up may indicate she has no urge (consciously, unconsciously, or both) to portray herself as other than she really is. In other words, it may indicate she is comfortable with who she is.

• No make-up may indicate she has no urge to attract attention in order to make her feel better about herself.

Either or both of the above points can relate to self-esteem.

Either or both of the above points can relate to a person's focus (consciously, unconsciously, or both) upon INTERNAL factors or EXTERNAL factors as a way to feel at peace with themselves and the world.
Men and women who (consciously, unconsciously, or both) feel that their sense of wellbeing is largely contingent upon external factors (wealth, partners, status symbols, people lavishing attention upon them, etc. etc.) are invariably insecure individuals because it is impossible to fully control external factors & circumstances. Insecure individuals can behave very possessively and in a generally unstable fashion (even going as far as OCD, etc.). Conversely, men and women who (consciously, unconsciously, or both) understand that their sense of wellbeing is largely contingent upon their own internal thought processes (which, given sufficient habitual focus and cognitive awareness, are amenable to the individual's self-control). Such people do not project unrealistic expectations onto the external world about what it 'owes' them, what material things they 'need', and how people 'should' behave towards them, in order to feel at peace with themselves.

I'm not stating the above as 100% infallible, absolute, incontrovertible fact, but it does account for a very large percentage of humankind, in a general sense, and it is really important to point out that it's not a binary thing - it's a continuum, with people generally being somewhere in between the two extremes.

Sorry for the OT!

Sage advice.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #9,401 of 39,419

Equally valid, and neither explanation excludes the other. Psychology is multifaceted!
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #9,402 of 39,419
is it a bad idea to get a cable that looks cool tho? i'm planning on spending extra to customize a cable's appearance

Oh, customizing is a different thing. Some manufacturers, like Plussound and others give you plenty of options to customize the appearance. I'm talking more about arguments I have with some people who send me links to cool looking $30 cables from Aliexpress and argue with me why would they get anything that cost more from established brands lol!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back