flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #8,266 of 39,414
this is actually super cool, i love the fact that growing up with something increases your mental connection with it. my idea may be misguided, but maybe what sound signatures we like can be affected by such things too? Although I don't think many young kids know what a sound signature is
It is not misguided at all. The brain is an organ with extreme plasticity and is a little like modelling clay, everything we do forms and strengthens the connections in our brains. That is also the reason why the best athletes and musicians often started at a young age, as that plasticity is greatest at a young age. Whether or not it specifically affects preferences for certain signatures I do not know. I think it can change a lot over time as well because changing signatures increases the response of the reward centre in the brain (new and exciting), which is another aspect that feeds the addiction in this hobby. I use that to my advantage by switching between signatures. So even though I have a primary preference for natural sounding IEMs such as the Phantom, I still greatly enjoy the visceral and analogue nature of the Zombie.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #8,268 of 39,414
Good stuff Erik.. Thanks for sharing..
Thanks! It is something have been working on for over a year (why I contacted Nic and came to head-fi) and I hope I can eventually translate it into something that might also help others (eg. articles, book, etc.).

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #8,269 of 39,414
It is not misguided at all. The brain is an organ with extreme plasticity and is a little like modelling clay, everything we do forms and strengthens the connections in our brains. That is also the reason why the best athletes and musicians often started [...] of the Zombie.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #8,270 of 39,414
Perhaps the scientists here could find out why my hand absorbs RF interference so well but a nice cut of lamb sirloin doesn't have the same effect. BRB experimenting with different meats laying overtop my cable.:thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #8,271 of 39,414
Wow so much text without any GIFs...make me dizzy

What? After all these GIFless posts, you couldn't resist the temptation yourself anymore?
I went to a 'GIF rehab class' recently. Which costed me at least the price of 3 totl ciems, but it works fine (no withdrawal symptoms) so far :fingers_crossed:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #8,272 of 39,414
Perhaps the scientists here could find out why my hand absorbs RF interference so well but a nice cut of lamb sirloin doesn't have the same effect. BRB experimenting with different meats laying overtop my cable.:thinking:
Great experiment! Be sure to test the different meats afterwards by cooking them, perhaps there is an effect on the tenderness of the sirloin. :D

Joking aside, my guess is that it is because of living vs dead tissue. The cells in your hand are alive and they are all little power plants because cells function based on an ion gradient. In your sirloin all the cells are dead and they no longer have their electrical properties. (Just a wild guess, btw.)
What? After all these GIFless posts, you couldn't resist the temptation yourself anymore?
I went to a 'GIF rehab class' recently. Which costed me at least the price of 3 totl ciems, but it works fine (no withdrawal symptoms) so far :fingers_crossed:
"GIF rehab class"?! :fearful: Shees, at this rate I will be left all alone. But then again, I can still have plenty of fun! :D

24733b62595cc04ef165c6b05bcb550baa9e6b2273082d31df61ee8f876174a4

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8,273 of 39,414
man i love dogs

is it random that god is dog spelled backwards ?

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #8,274 of 39,414
Great experiment! Be sure to test the different meats afterwards by cooking them, perhaps there is an effect on the tenderness of the sirloin. :D

Joking aside, my guess is that it is because of living vs dead tissue. The cells in your hand are alive and they are all little power plants because cells function based on an ion gradient. In your sirloin all the cells are dead and they no longer have their electrical properties. (Just a wild guess, btw.)

"GIF rehab class"?! :fearful: Shees, at this rate I will be left all alone. But then again, I can still have plenty of fun! :D

24733b62595cc04ef165c6b05bcb550baa9e6b2273082d31df61ee8f876174a4

Ok then we need a living "ferrite device" so we don't affect the signature like would be affected by a ferrite. Ferrites tend to very slightly artificially brighten. I see a market, I'm thinking slugs in a tube. You feed them some pellets or something every once in awhile.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #8,275 of 39,414
The problem with Ferrites is that they load up and lose their effectiveness over time. Of if you are talking about ferret's I'm not so sure I want to put a live one in my room :wink:.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #8,276 of 39,414
i suddenly recall something from a while ago, i think someone once mentioned there being a 25 driver iem somewhere out in the world, what was it again? I have to admit, I wasn't particularly active online anywhere when the driver wars were happening, i don't really know much of the discussion around the topic. could someone inform me what the main perspectives were?

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #8,278 of 39,414
i suddenly recall something from a while ago, i think someone once mentioned there being a 25 driver iem somewhere out in the world, what was it again? I have to admit, I wasn't particularly active online anywhere when the driver wars were happening, i don't really know much of the discussion around the topic. could someone inform me what the main perspectives were?

That 25-driver IEM was from FAudio IIRC. Kumitate Labs also made one, but it was a 22-driver project I think. There wasn’t any discussion really regarding driver wars. The main consensus has always been more does not equal better and driver tuning trumps driver count.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #8,279 of 39,414
That 25-driver IEM was from FAudio IIRC. Kumitate Labs also made one, but it was a 22-driver project I think. There wasn’t any discussion really regarding driver wars. The main consensus has always been more does not equal better and driver tuning trumps driver count.
i see, so it was more a war between companies while the community looked on in anxiety? i guess those crazy driver counts were concepts? did anyone hear them

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #8,280 of 39,414
what's the longest someone has waited for customs? since i currently reside in taiwan i ordered from here and theres probably a lot of time between shipping the mods from here to the us (64 audio) and then shipping the ciems over, but its been nearly seven weeks now... SOMEONE GIMME

Users who are viewing this thread

Back