flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 16, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #7,231 of 39,414
A simple and question to spice things up a bit. If I already got the Zeus-XR + SP1000. And I am in front of a crossroad, for my goal in 2018 -2019.
Either go towards the cable route: something like Effect Audio Horus, PW1960 or TOTL IEM route: VE8 (or Phantom or others). Which one would I get the most benefit or improvements? There will only be one and it will be the only goal for headgear. It will be too greedy to have two goals.

I would assume most answers would lean towards the IEM route?

I guess it depends on how big a change you seek. If you want subtle changes in this or that, a cable is the way to go. If you want not so subtle charges, a new IEM is needed.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #7,232 of 39,414
A simple and question to spice things up a bit. If I already got the Zeus-XR + SP1000. And I am in front of a crossroad, for my goal in 2018 -2019.
Either go towards the cable route: something like Effect Audio Horus, PW1960 or TOTL IEM route: VE8 (or Phantom or others). Which one would I get the most benefit or improvements? There will only be one and it will be the only goal for headgear. It will be too greedy to have two goals.

If I were you I'd be all over transducers since cables only bring about 10-15% change to the sound. Maybe something warm, organic and natural to complement the airy and transparent Zeus.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #7,233 of 39,414

SE5 ult is a big step forward on Zeus in my opinion..
It is as detailed and analytic, but with much more lifeness and much better sound stage.
Bass: Although it has a detailed but larger volume
Sub bass is slower and more natural.
There is a lot of layering and more organic IEM.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #7,234 of 39,414

IEMs like the VE8 and A18 complement the Zeus well as a secondary TOTL IEM. I'd highly suggest waiting for the Phantom's release before making a decision, though.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #7,235 of 39,414
IEMs like the VE8 and A18 complement the Zeus well as a secondary TOTL IEM. I'd highly suggest waiting for the Phantom's release before making a decision, though.

Sure I will wait for the Legned X and Phantom as it is an ultimate goal for 2018-2019. I have a whole year to achieve it.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #7,236 of 39,414
Sure I will wait for the Legned X and Phantom as it is an ultimate goal for 2018-2019. I have a whole year to achieve it.

I'm sure you won't have to wait anywhere close to a year for them to come out. :) By then, you'll have tons of options to choose from as well.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #7,237 of 39,414
Is the balanced cable also from UM with the switch gimmick?
So far, as far as I know, only UM provided adequate cables as far as I know (made by Beat Audio I suppose). I guess a JH cable might work but I am not even sure, because for their system to work, it means only two of the connectors in each sockets are used, either for silver or for copper.

This allows me to do some guesswork on the backstory of this system. A few years ago I was talking to UM / Beataudio about cable costs, and they told me what costs the most is to get the equipment to make your own connectors. They spend a pretty penny to get a machine to make their own JH connectors. I guess now this new system is partly a way to amortize this investment.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #7,238 of 39,414

You could do both at the same cost. Get another top iem that complements the one you have, and try several cables at reasonable prices (couple hundred at most). Super high priced cables do not have anything more, apart from great margins for the makers.

If you go for another iem, I would advocate trying dynamic / hybrids / planars / electrostats as BAs can only vary so much.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #7,239 of 39,414
So far, as far as I know, only UM provided adequate cables as far as I know (made by Beat Audio I suppose). I guess a JH cable might work but I am not even sure, because for their system to work, it means only two of the connectors in each sockets are used, either for silver or for copper.

This allows me to do some guesswork on the backstory of this system. A few years ago I was talking to UM / Beataudio about cable costs, and they told me what costs the most is to get the equipment to make your own connectors. They spend a pretty penny to get a machine to make their own JH connectors. I guess now this new system is partly a way to amortize this investment.

JH cable's shouldn't work with the new UM IEMs based on how the JH cables are normally wired. I believe the four pins are for bass, mids, treble and ground. This is why you can essentially apply JH's adjustable module on any of the frequency ranges if you'd like. While, on the UM cable, it's two pairs of positive and ground (I think; my electrical engineering is very rusty).

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #7,240 of 39,414
You could do both at the same cost. Get another top iem that complements the one you have, and try several cables at reasonable prices (couple hundred at most). Super high priced cables do not have anything more, apart from great margins for the makers.

The devil in me always says the same thing, "Why not both?". When I am looking for great cables such as Zen, Ares II, PW No.5. Then Ares II 8braid, PW No.5 8brade. Then I suddenly realized I am all over cables like Leonidas, PW1960, horus etc... Then the :smiling_imp: may say: "Why not chip in a few hundred more bucks and get the premium one?" Soon I will realize my wallet is jizzing all over the place. rip

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #7,241 of 39,414
The devil in me always says the same thing, "Why not both?". When I am looking for great cables such as Zen, Ares II, PW No.5. Then Ares II 8braid, PW No.5 8brade. Then I suddenly realized I am all over cables like Leonidas, PW1960, horus etc... Then the :smiling_imp: may say: "Why not chip in a few hundred more bucks and get the premium one?" Soon I will realize my wallet is jizzing all over the place. rip
I like to buy pretty cables. At least it is stupid in a straightforward manner :ksc75smile:

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #7,242 of 39,414
I'm sure you won't have to wait anywhere close to a year for them to come out. :) By then, you'll have tons of options to choose from as well.

I really have high hopes on the Legend X, especially for the dynamic driver. There is just some magic in a well implemented dynamic driver that BA drivers do not deliver. Really looking forward to a 120% finalized production demo of the Legend X.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #7,243 of 39,414
I like to buy pretty cables. At least it is stupid in a straightforward manner :ksc75smile:

I love the look of fancy cable, especially 8 braid ones. Beat audio Billow8 and Prime Dona 8 is also very accessible at my location. Billow 8 is really magical on Tia Fourte as it tames the hot treble and shortens the decay a bit without altering the mids and bass. And they are really pleasing to my eyeballs.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #7,244 of 39,414
I love the look of fancy cable, especially 8 braid ones. Beat audio Billow8 and Prime Dona 8 is also very accessible at my location. Billow 8 is really magical on Tia Fourte as it tames the hot treble and shortens the decay a bit without altering the mids and bass. And they are really pleasing to my eyeballs.
Yeah Beat are my goto...at a discount.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #7,245 of 39,414
I want to try EE Legend X too. Someone who attended in PortaFest2018 infomed me personally that Legend X is so far so good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back