flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 27, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #3,886 of 39,414
is a a iem has sparkles from spikes/peaks then it by definition cannot be smooth right?

head fi glossory:
Smooth - Easy on the ears, not harsh. Flat frequency response, especially in the midrange. Lack of peaks and dips in the response.

and curious about SE5U measurements,
i could only find a measurement for the SE5 reference, whose treble extension is said to be similar good, but doesnt quite show.
note: concerns of bores being squeezed during measurement are expressed
se5ff9e.PNG

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #3,887 of 39,414
Thanks for explaining that Nic! Do you happen to know any articles about this? I spent a couple of days searching last week, but could never really find an in-depth article about this and am still curious to learn more. I guess perhaps it is just something you learn by hearing it. :)
Sorry Eric, I haven't come across any.
is a a iem has sparkles from spikes/peaks then it by definition cannot be smooth right?

head fi glossory:
Smooth - Easy on the ears, not harsh. Flat frequency response, especially in the midrange. Lack of peaks and dips in the response.

and curious about SE5U measurements,
i could only find a measurement for the SE5 reference, whose treble extension is said to be similar good, but doesnt quite show.
note: concerns of bores being squeezed during measurement are expressed
se5ff9e.PNG
Harshness is a difficult concept. It can result from either a disproportianately large peak, how long that peak lingers, or the energy from the combined treble region. But all of that is nothing compared to individual differences in sensitivity. For instance, the only iem that is (too) harsh for me is Vega, even though it is neither bright nor sparkly. On the other hand, I love the sparkle of the NT6pro, and can easily handle the even brightness of Samba or A18.

There is little point in looking for extension in graphs, especially from $200 setups. After 10 KHz, the treble becomes increasingly impossible to capture. A 20K mic that manufacturers commonly use can give a proper impression. The setup at Head-Fi HQ costs several times that, with the main reason being it can more reliably capture top-end extension.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #3,888 of 39,414
Back home (from an island holiday) and the last few days I've been thinking a lot about what was written in the SE 5-Way Ultimate review.

Last year when it ended at #1 in FFAB there was already a soft voice in my head that whispered 'Maybe you should get this one'. But I was like:
tumblr_me0s4pOgwC1rrc78e.gif

...and that voice faded away after a while.

But now, after also having read Nics description of its signature (multiple times), I'm pretty certain that I will love it!
And (unfortunately for my wallet) this time the voice in my head isn't soft anymore :astonished: so I have to look for ways (which will probably end up in selling a part of my current collection) to create new budget for the SE5U.

Such a shame that this shootout, rollercoaster ride had to come to an end...
latest

...but I loved every minute of it!!!

Besides that, it's nice to see that this thread stays active by many (interesting) posts and even new reviews at the same time.
I hope that it will stay that way (such a nice crew over here) for a loooooooooooooong time :grin:

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3,889 of 39,414
Back home (from an island holiday) and the last few days I've been thinking a lot about what was written in the SE 5-Way Ultimate review.

Last year when it ended at #1 in FFAB there was already a soft voice in my head that whispered 'Maybe you should get this one'. But I was like:

But now, after also having read Nics description of its signature (multiple times), I'm pretty certain that I will love it!
And (unfortunately for my wallet) this time the voice in my head isn't soft anymore :astonished: so I have to look for ways (which will probably end up in selling a part of my current collection) to create new budget for the SE5U.

latest

Besides that, it's nice to see that this thread stays active by many (interesting) posts and even new reviews at the same time.
I hope that it will stay that way (such a nice crew over here) for a loooooooooooooong time :grin:
I knew this would happen 8 months ago.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #3,890 of 39,414
Aug 27, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,891 of 39,414

latest

I'm on the exact same boat, my friend. How 'bout we strike a deal, where I send in an impression of my left ear and you send in an impression of your right? We can split the cost, and I'll throw in a free half hour of Gollum/Smeagol impressions to boot! :p

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #3,892 of 39,414
Aug 27, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #3,893 of 39,414
I'm on the exact same boat, my friend. How 'bout we strike a deal, where I send in an impression of my left ear and you send in an impression of your right? We can split the cost...
What a splendid idea :thumbsup:and while we're at it...why not have surgery and become siamese twins, so we can listen together at the same time in stereo with both our ears. That way we can split all our ciem costs in the future :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,894 of 39,414
What a splendid idea :thumbsup:and while we're at it...why not have surgery and become siamese twins, so we can listen together at the same time in stereo with both our ears. That way we can split all our ciem costs in the future :wink:

this would be a....siamese dream :gs1000smile:

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,897 of 39,414
It could be better mastered. It sounds pretty underwhelming with pretty much everything. Good music though.

actually this is one the better produced/enginnered rock albums of the 90s , by the guy who also produced a rock album called Nevermind by a rock band called Nirvana....

don't expect to get the sonic excellence from a shi.tty Youtube link :gs1000smile:

i don't know though what kind of music you're into , if your head/ears has gotten used to today's loud/overcompressed half-ass productions , well then yes this may sound to you like it was not well mastered

i mean this is an album that was taken care by the following people who are kinda legends in their field

btw , the whole album is a landmark for the 90s rock scene , back when musicians wrote ballsy music

cheers

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #3,898 of 39,414
No doubt it's one of the land marks from the alternative scene from the 90's, but would I say it's a good sounding album. Nope.

I listen to all kinds. My favorite Nirvana is the unplugged. Sounds great.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3,900 of 39,414
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back