flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 22, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #34,141 of 39,414
started the day with a fantastic 24/96 vinyl rip of maybe the best Swan Lake interpretation from 1969, this was never released on CD but lucky us we got it vinyl ripped by one of the best rippers out there

you gotta love Net and all those gifts it gives to us music lovers

1626942934735.png

here is the YT link for all you swan lovers

@Wyville let me know if you want the links for the vinyl rip

Sure, that will be nice. I'm not really on here much these days (pretty much left the hobby), so thanks for tagging me or I would have missed it.

Jul 22, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #34,142 of 39,414
Sure, that will be nice. I'm not really on here much these days (pretty much left the hobby), so thanks for tagging me or I would have missed it.

sending the goodies via PM , may i ask a pic of the handsome horse-lover Lord Barney the Great ?

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #34,143 of 39,414
Shame you’ve left the hobby. Although I kind of need too stop spending so much. Matter of interest, what gear have you left the hobby with?

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #34,144 of 39,414
Shame you’ve left the hobby. Although I kind of need too stop spending so much. Matter of interest, what gear have you left the hobby with?
Rephrase: how did you manage?

Teach us Master

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #34,145 of 39,414
Rephrase: how did you manage?

Teach us Master
Yeah exactly, I need to know how to stop craving new gear all the time

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #34,146 of 39,414
Jul 22, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #34,147 of 39,414
Jul 22, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #34,148 of 39,414
Leave Head Fi. It's the only way I think.
It truly is. I "left" (really...maybe visited once every 10 months or so) for almost 6 years until "coming back" a year ago (thanks pandemic!!). I had IRL friends who still dabbled in the hobby, but it didn't induce any upgradeitis in me.

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #34,149 of 39,414
It truly is. I "left" (really...maybe visited once every 10 months or so) for almost 6 years until "coming back" a year ago (thanks pandemic!!). I had IRL friends who still dabbled in the hobby, but it didn't induce any upgradeitis in me.
In general have a plan, stick to the plan and then enjoy. And enjoy each part of the journey. Oh and don’t do credit. The problem is when you have money to burn....

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #34,150 of 39,414
Leave Head Fi. It's the only way I think.
I think your right. There is always new daps/iems etc that are apparently better than older ones. Best thing is not to know about them!

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #34,151 of 39,414
I think your right. There is always new daps/iems etc that are apparently better than older ones. Best thing is not to know about them!

Yup the first step towards quitting drinking is to leave the bar.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #34,152 of 39,414
I was addicted to buying CDs and vinyl, stupid amounts and often finding albums still in their plastic. My wife would give me grief over the constant arrivals of new albums, pretty much every day and increasingly during COVID. I converted my attic a number of years ago for my music and even with what I felt would future-proof, I ran out of space a while ago.

I've embraced digital audio on DAPs since about 2002, they weren't called DAPs then though - either iPods or MP3 players (anyone remember the brilliant Rio Karma?) :) - I had quite a few over the years for my portable needs but always listened to CD or vinyl at home.

Anyway, around October, I decided I needed to focus on a move from physical audio with the exception of some labels I've supported for a while and would hate to stop - likewise some reissues of classic electronic albums from the 90s, quite a trend in recent times from various labels and many I never managed to pick up back then. I figured I was spending too much and makes sense to finally transition to digital... my wife was delighted!

How I got to Head-Fi: I had the Sony ZX300 for the last couple of years and decided with money saved from buying CDs and vinyl, I would now upgrade as a Christmas present to myself, a reward for cutting back. After a Google search, I visited Head-Fi to read up on it and spent one November Saturday afternoon reading endless pages before making a decision to purchase. Then I thought, I have had my Sennheiser IE8 for many years now, I should investigate a new IEM too - buying a Final Audio E5000 not long after and a Hidizs MS4 (both were returned in the Amazon return window)... but had my eyes on the incredibly expensive (moving through those $$$ psychological barriers) Sony XBA-N3 and reading strange discussions about tip rolling, whatever the heck that was!

Anyway, I won't bore with all of the other purchase details in the 7 or 8 months since then but many of those $$$ barriers have been broken and I can't believe I'm now wondering how to tell my wife I might spend several thousand on a single set of earphones!

And to think this all started with me saving money - good intentions at least...

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #34,153 of 39,414
Jul 22, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #34,154 of 39,414
I was addicted to buying CDs and vinyl, stupid amounts and often finding albums still in their plastic. My wife would give me grief over the constant arrivals of new albums, pretty much every day and increasingly during COVID. I converted my attic a number of years ago for my music and even with what I felt would future-proof, I ran out of space a while ago.

I've embraced digital audio on DAPs since about 2002, they weren't called DAPs then though - either iPods or MP3 players (anyone remember the brilliant Rio Karma?) :) - I had quite a few over the years for my portable needs but always listened to CD or vinyl at home.

Anyway, around October, I decided I needed to focus on a move from physical audio with the exception of some labels I've supported for a while and would hate to stop - likewise some reissues of classic electronic albums from the 90s, quite a trend in recent times from various labels and many I never managed to pick up back then. I figured I was spending too much and makes sense to finally transition to digital... my wife was delighted!

How I got to Head-Fi: I had the Sony ZX300 for the last couple of years and decided with money saved from buying CDs and vinyl, I would now upgrade as a Christmas present to myself, a reward for cutting back. After a Google search, I visited Head-Fi to read up on it and spent one November Saturday afternoon reading endless pages before making a decision to purchase. Then I thought, I have had my Sennheiser IE8 for many years now, I should investigate a new IEM too - buying a Final Audio E5000 not long after and a Hidizs MS4 (both were returned in the Amazon return window)... but had my eyes on the incredibly expensive (moving through those $$$ psychological barriers) Sony XBA-N3 and reading strange discussions about tip rolling, whatever the heck that was!

Anyway, I won't bore with all of the other purchase details in the 7 or 8 months since then but many of those $$$ barriers have been broken and I can't believe I'm now wondering how to tell my wife I might spend several thousand on a single set of earphones!

And to think this all started with me saving money - good intentions at least...
This is one of the best posts I’ve head fi read.
Reflects on my own journey. All my CDs in storage, tyvek sleeves, thousand. After ripping them all, everything stored on two redundant hard drives fit in my open hand. Refresh those drives though. Magnetic data deteriorates over time!

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #34,155 of 39,414
Sad to see you (and Barney) go. Why the change? Good luck wherever your next journey takes you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back