flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #34,156 of 39,414
Sure, that will be nice. I'm not really on here much these days (pretty much left the hobby), so thanks for tagging me or I would have missed it.
You’re still here! How’s Barney? 😁

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #34,157 of 39,414
How does it sound? :) Are you burning-in the Witch Girl? Wish I could try it here
I thought you were going Salem on us, and asking him if “he was burning the Witch-Girl, ” (cultural note, in the US there was a famous “Salem Witch Trials, ” where several “witches” were executed.)

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #34,158 of 39,414
Sure, that will be nice. I'm not really on here much these days (pretty much left the hobby), so thanks for tagging me or I would have missed it.
Man, I love the Masters in Classical Music, our tastes are very similar, I hope all is well.

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #34,159 of 39,414
sending the goodies via PM , may i ask a pic of the handsome horse-lover Lord Barney the Great ?
Cheers! And of course, service with a smile...
Smile.JPG

Shame you’ve left the hobby. Although I kind of need too stop spending so much. Matter of interest, what gear have you left the hobby with?
To be honest, I have always been happy with my Phantom and those are the ones I listen to mostly now. They are paired with Code 51, but I would have been equally happy with the Eros II 8W or simply stock Ares II. I found myself letting go of all the nitpicking and just gravitated towards the most versatile IEMs I have. Sound-wise I like the LPGT as the source, but here too I find myself using the M8 much more because I have become a streaming convert. I also use the M8 with the HD650, which works surprisingly well.
Sad to see you (and Barney) go. Why the change? Good luck wherever your next journey takes you.
Thanks! It was something that has come up in the past and now reached a point where I felt it was the right time to move on. I came into this hobby to explore how music could help me manage my ADHD. So types of music, but also signatures, as the physiological effect (and as a consequence the psychological effect) is greater when music resonates more strongly. Reviewing helped me explore more of what is out there and of course I reviewed because I love writing. But as I wanted to write more seriously (more informative, more thoughtful) I found the industry increasingly moving towards influencers and that is not who I am. I do not want attention or turn my screen name into a brand, I am happiest as a writer who hides behind his text. That divergence between myself and the industry started taking up a lot of time and energy, and my energy balance never fully recovered after a long period of illness several years ago. Therefore I decided to turn away from the hobby so I can invest that time and energy into restarting my academic research and hopefully resurrect my academic career or (more likely) write a few books.

That, and when you step back you realise just how utterly ludicrous this hobby really is. 😜😅
Man, I love the Masters in Classical Music, our tastes are very similar, I hope all is well.
Thanks! Yeah, I am well. As I explained above, it was just time to move on. My Masters of Classical Music was a last attempt at writing something different that would help me stay inspired, but it ended up emphasising that I would much rather be doing the sort of background research I was doing for that, but then back at an academic level. I regret not taking that further though because I still think the format works well.
You’re still here! How’s Barney? 😁
Doing well and growing very big. He does still have some digestive problems and we keep him on a special diet, but he is bigger than his brothers and sisters, even bigger than his half-brother in terms of height. He still needs to bulk up though and as a consequence we decided to buy a new car, as our current one is already way too small. 😅
Here he is with his half-brother. You won't say it, but Barnie is taller and weighs about the same:
IMG-20210613-WA0009.jpg

Barnie is now also starting to get darker fur (this picture was a month or so ago).

Jul 23, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #34,160 of 39,414
Barnie is now also starting to get darker fur (this picture was a month or so ago).
He’s grown handsomely! Hope he can overcome his digestive problems one day. And best of luck to you, really sad to see a huge contributor to this forum left.

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #34,161 of 39,414
He’s grown handsomely! Hope he can overcome his digestive problems one day. And best of luck to you, really sad to see a huge contributor to this forum left.
Yeah, he's a gorgeous dog. We loved him as a puppy, but this is even better. 😁 He will be okay on this diet, so as long as he needs it, he will get it. It happens more often with this breed, as his half brother also needs to be on a specific diet.

Thanks! I've had a great time here and really enjoyed the company. :beerchug:

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #34,162 of 39,414
Cheers! And of course, service with a smile...

To be honest, I have always been happy with my Phantom and those are the ones I listen to mostly now. They are paired with Code 51, but I would have been equally happy with the Eros II 8W or simply stock Ares II. I found myself letting go of all the nitpicking and just gravitated towards the most versatile IEMs I have. Sound-wise I like the LPGT as the source, but here too I find myself using the M8 much more because I have become a streaming convert. I also use the M8 with the HD650, which works surprisingly well.

Thanks! It was something that has come up in the past and now reached a point where I felt it was the right time to move on. I came into this hobby to explore how music could help me manage my ADHD. So types of music, but also signatures, as the physiological effect (and as a consequence the psychological effect) is greater when music resonates more strongly. Reviewing helped me explore more of what is out there and of course I reviewed because I love writing. But as I wanted to write more seriously (more informative, more thoughtful) I found the industry increasingly moving towards influencers and that is not who I am. I do not want attention or turn my screen name into a brand, I am happiest as a writer who hides behind his text. That divergence between myself and the industry started taking up a lot of time and energy, and my energy balance never fully recovered after a long period of illness several years ago. Therefore I decided to turn away from the hobby so I can invest that time and energy into restarting my academic research and hopefully resurrect my academic career or (more likely) write a few books.

That, and when you step back you realise just how utterly ludicrous this hobby really is. 😜😅

Thanks! Yeah, I am well. As I explained above, it was just time to move on. My Masters of Classical Music was a last attempt at writing something different that would help me stay inspired, but it ended up emphasising that I would much rather be doing the sort of background research I was doing for that, but then back at an academic level. I regret not taking that further though because I still think the format works well.

Doing well and growing very big. He does still have some digestive problems and we keep him on a special diet, but he is bigger than his brothers and sisters, even bigger than his half-brother in terms of height. He still needs to bulk up though and as a consequence we decided to buy a new car, as our current one is already way too small. 😅
Here he is with his half-brother. You won't say it, but Barnie is taller and weighs about the same:

I’ll miss your masters of classical series, more for the talk about the music than the gear :)

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #34,163 of 39,414
Jul 23, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #34,164 of 39,414
I’ll miss your masters of classical series, more for the talk about the music than the gear :)
Thanks! I really liked the format and the responses to it have been very positive. The main downside was that the amount of work was very high and I felt it was taking up a disproportionate amount of my time and energy. I couldn't justify that while I am facing such a big challenge to restart my academic research (or make a career switch).

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #34,165 of 39,414
Thanks! I really liked the format and the responses to it have been very positive. The main downside was that the amount of work was very high and I felt it was taking up a disproportionate amount of my time and energy. I couldn't justify that while I am facing such a big challenge to restart my academic research (or make a career switch).
I completely get you. The current get-out price for the hobby is $5999 $6600. If you have it, you can skip all the baby steps, side steps and missteps and live happily ever after. 😝

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #34,166 of 39,414
I completely get you. The current get-out price for the hobby is $5999 $6600. If you have it, you can skip all the baby steps, side steps and missteps and live happily ever after. 😝
Jury is still out on this... hope I get a chance to audition it...

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #34,167 of 39,414
lol! Never been much for the OTT-TOTL segment. Too many consequences. Like having to bribe my wife... With dogs... Big dogs... Barnie was payment for the Phantom. Doing the math for a setup with some of the new gear, I would end up living with this:
1627055951858.jpeg

Not to mention trying to afford the car truck to take them to see the family. 🤣

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #34,168 of 39,414
Jury is still out on this... hope I get a chance to audition it...

If I recall correctly, you buy 99% of what you audition. Thus, skip this one :p

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #34,169 of 39,414
Can confirm that is simply not true. I'm coming to double that amount with the addition of my 5th iem (hopefully the last)

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #34,170 of 39,414
lol! Never been much for the OTT-TOTL segment. Too many consequences. Like having to bribe my wife... With dogs... Big dogs... Barnie was payment for the Phantom. Doing the math for a setup with some of the new gear, I would end up living with this:

Not to mention trying to afford the car truck to take them to see the family. 🤣
wowww.

so great to see barnie again!

(and you too, @Wyville.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back