Oriolus Products General Discussion Thread
Jul 22, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #376 of 587
Hello everyone. I don’t usually write much on Head-fi, so please forgive me if I use an audiophile term in the wrong way. I usually only dabble in the full-size headphone world, but lately I have been getting into IEMs. I recently bought an Oriolus Isabella and thought I would write down a few thoughts.

Source: Ibasso DX160/FLAC Files

I received my Oriolus Isabella about two weeks ago from MusicTeck. Prior to that I was listening almost exclusively with the Sennheiser IE300 on the go, slowly going over my music library. I mention this as I feel the most comfortable comparing these two given the time I have spent with them. These two are also a good example of the type of sound signature I thought I wanted when I started this hobby eight years ago, a V type signature, but have sense gravitated more towards an overall balanced sound.

Although I can appreciate the Sennheiser IE300 for what it is (making my EDM music sound fantastic), it’s not the type of sound I tend to gravitate towards when listening to a wide range of musical genres. Listening to the Isabella for the first time, I immediately noticed a less congested and more forward midrange, less of a sub-bass emphasis, with greater extension in the upper frequencies compared to the IE300. Although the bass on IE300 is pretty welled controlled given the sheer amount of bass present, there is just too much emphasis there for me. This would eventually lead to fatigue after about an hour of listening. In contrast, the bass on the Isabella is just about the perfect amount in both quality and quantity with a more upper/mid bass focus. Gone is the fatigue, but still has enough thump to keep a smile on my face when listening to my EDM tracks.

Vocals sound great on both; however, the Isabella’s is more pronounced and forward. It At first, vocals sounded a little to forward. It reminds me of the same sensation I experience listening to another pair of headphones I own, the HE6se. With the dynamic range of female vocals, and with the added emphasis in the midrange, I have to be careful which number my volume knob is set at. This is the only area that I have a small issue with at first listen, as it broadlines on being uncomfortable. I mention this because I have never really experienced such an equalization (for lack of a better word) in an IEM until now. What sounds “to forward” coming from other IEMs sounds more natural and “right” after a few minutes of listening. With the He6Se I have to compensate for this by EQ in a little more bass. This is where the tuning of the Isabella has been done so well. When I read people talking about the “Oriolus magic” this must be what they are getting at. After a long listening session, I feel more satisfied with Isabella. It is just presented in a more organic way. She really is a great all-rounder and its one of those few times I have come away from an audio purchase feeling like I got my moneys worth.
Great impressions, and excited to know that you are enjoying Isa. :smile:

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #377 of 587
Isabellae Review posted in reviews section.

223407652_10165714098685654_2518468152892045737_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #378 of 587
Isabellae, magical hummingbird in an amber house.

A beautiful set, small and unassuming, refined, excellent tuning, less is more in every choice made, clever tuning tricks, understated and elegant looks.

29ABEFCD-9DFD-43AB-919C-B6DC7B0B9919.jpeg

Thanks to Andrew of MusicTeck for providing me the demo set this week, I am returning it today, and I am ordering my own set. Everything I write is my opinion based on what I heard, I did not look at charts, and I did not try and analyze the set in that way, just wanted to see what it could do with some of my favorite music.

My journey this week

I went through a process this week where at first, I was using the wrong tips, and not the best source for the set, the Azla SednaPerfict Fit Shorts which work for me with Thummim and Traillii, so naturally I started there, talking with @jwilliamhurst about what I was hearing he recommended I switch to the stock large silicon, problem solved, thanks J.

Next, I was using the P6Pro and it was good but not good enough for me to think I would use the set much, I enjoyed the Piano solo of Keith Jarrett, and I realized that Isa had nice mids so I moved to vocals namely Karrin Allison and I liked what I was hearing, so I decided to contrast with the Elysium and the next day I switched to the M8. Now Isabellae sounded great, Elysium still beat the set with her voice because of the added sparkle that the Isabellae just did not present. So far, I was not sold.

I also talked with @Rockwell75 and again with @jwilliamhurst and decided I needed to keep trying, Rock was basing his comments I think on music that was not as acoustic based as what I started with, I decided to go ahead and try out another female vocalist Goldfrapp backed with electric amplified instruments, and to my ears I enjoyed her vocals better on the Isabellae than the Elysium, this came down to the electric bass that was not present enough with the Elysium to compliment her voice and the tracks. @jwilliamhurst recommended an album that I believe we both started listening to recently by Cindy Blackman as sounding incredible with the Isa, he was right. Now I was sold.

To confirm my decision this morning I have been listening to Riverside, this band I did not even know about until 4 months ago and I have been listening to and exploring their catalog, A+.

M8 and Isabellae I highly recommend this combo.

Notes on the build

Because design is equal to me to what a set sounds like and I desire excellence on both fronts, the Isabellae checks the design boxes for me.

Internally there is a sealing gasket that separates the front of the driver from the back, both porting into empty space within the housing. The careful design is so subtle, appreciating all the trial-and-error prototyping that likely preceded this final version I have in my hands.

The backside of the DD ports out into most of the empty space within the shell and is also vented through the brass face plate. There is a good deal of energy leaving these ports, playing around I reversed the set and placed the back side into me ears to see how much sound was coming out of the face plate ports. Interesting to me the sound in my head was very similar to what the set sounds like inserted the correct way, less volume, very similar presentation, bass is not as present without the proper seal.

The frontside of the driver also has a single vent port, which appears to be gasketed from the empty space that the frontside DD ports into. This cavity exits to the neck of the set, and unlike the Traillii, includes a screen.

Absolutely no driver flex, no matter what I did with the set, while inserting or while adjusting.

No expert here but for such a simple design, there are clearly some very careful choices made leading to the sound I am hearing from this set.

Briefly on the cable, this is one of the thinnest cables I have used, the weave is tight, the cable is soft and pliable and does not tangle. The hardware is elegant just like the Isabellae drivers are.

224E22BA-50A8-4CD3-B752-8CB650B2A3F8.jpeg

Isabellae, Traillii, Elysium

Like my sonic journey, because of using the wrong tips there is a bump on the Isabellae underside that caused me some discomfort. There is an indentation that is meant to line up with cartilage within our ears, comparing that to the Traillii shell, it is more pronounced and closer to the neck. The distance from the neck to the bump places that bump somewhat on top of that cartilage instead of straddling it. Once I switched tips and the sensitive area recovered the next day this was no longer an issue, I think with the Shorts I was trying to get a seal and pushing the set in too hard.

Albums used and additional notes on sound

1627048773689.png

P6Pro High Gain - Keith Jarrett, Koln concert, for anyone not familiar with that great work, it is recorded live, and occasionally the environment of the crowd can be heard creating atmosphere. Keith moves between sparse moments with single notes sustained, and rapid-fire melodies seemingly invented in the moment. The Isabellae does this recording justice I found myself thoroughly engaged. Keith’s piano remained squarely in the center of my head, at the same time moving in a tight circular pattern from left to right ear, while his verbal grunts sounding behind me and above my head.

Coherency was great at no time did I become distracted by changes in energy level as Keith moved up and down the keys.

1627048784126.png

P6Pro followed by relisten with M8 on Turbo - Karrin Allison, Ballads her smoky voice sounds excellent, supported by lovely full bass, and accented by perfectly balanced upper mids. This album is just incredible and stands 100s of listens, highly recommended.

I switched to the M8 since I wanted to compare the Isa to the Ely and the M8 Elysium synergy, to my ears, this pairing is as good as vocals get for anything I have listened to. Like the Elysium the Isabellae also sounded much better on the M8 than it did on the P6Pro. Good vs Great.

1627048797125.png

M8 Turbo Gain - Goldfrapp, Felt Mountain, track Lovely Head, as the song reaches about 24 seconds the bass guitar kicks in, with the Isabellae this provides a nice bottom to Goldfrapp’s vocals, this bass is much less foundational to the mix with the Ely, while at the same time some vocal fatigue slightly kicks in, surprised by this after such a great listen with both sets with the Karrin Alisson tracks, and somewhat favoring the Elysium for Karrin’s music because of the sparkle, now clearly preferring the Isabellae for Goldfrapp.

1627048812838.png

M8 Turbo Gain – Cindy Blackman, Someday, nothing short of awesome, acoustic jazz.

1627048827092.png

M8 Turbo Gain – Various Riverside Albums and Tracks, perfect to my ears for this music.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #379 of 587

A beautiful set, small and unassuming, refined, excellent tuning, less is more in every choice made, clever tuning tricks, understated and elegant looks.

1627048735484.png

Thanks to Andrew of MusicTeck for providing me the demo set this week, I am returning it today, and I am ordering my own set. Everything I write is my opinion based on what I heard, I did not look at charts, and I did not try and analyze the set in that way, just wanted to see what it could do with some of my favorite music.

My journey this week

I went through a process this week where at first, I was using the wrong tips, and not the best source for the set, the Azla SednaPerfict Fit Shorts which work for me with Thummim and Traillii, so naturally I started there, talking with @jwilliamhurst about what I was hearing he recommended I switch to the stock large silicon, problem solved, thanks J.

Next, I was using the P6Pro and it was good but not good enough for me to think I would use the set much, I enjoyed the Piano solo of Keith Jarrett, and I realized that Isa had nice mids so I moved to vocals namely Karrin Allison and I liked what I was hearing, so I decided to contrast with the Elysium and the next day I switched to the M8. Now Isabellae sounded great, Elysium still beat the set with her voice because of the added sparkle that the Isabellae just did not present. So far, I was not sold.

I also talked with @Rockwell75 and again with @jwilliamhurst and decided I needed to keep trying, Rock was basing his comments I think on music that was not as acoustic based as what I started with, I decided to go ahead and try out another female vocalist Goldfrapp backed with electric amplified instruments, and to my ears I enjoyed her vocals better on the Isabellae than the Elysium, this came down to the electric bass that was not present enough with the Elysium to compliment her voice and the tracks. @jwilliamhurst recommended an album that I believe we both started listening to recently by Cindy Blackman as sounding incredible with the Isa, he was right. Now I was sold.

To confirm my decision this morning I have been listening to Riverside, this band I did not even know about until 4 months ago and I have been listening to and exploring their catalog, A+.

Notes on the build

Because design is equal to me to what a set sounds like and I desire excellence on both fronts, the Isabellae checks the design boxes for me.

Internally there is a sealing gasket that separates the front of the driver from the back, both porting into empty space within the housing. The careful design is so subtle, appreciating all the trial-and-error prototyping that likely preceded this final version I have in my hands.

The backside of the DD ports out into most of the empty space within the shell and is also vented through the brass face plate. There is a good deal of energy leaving these ports, playing around I reversed the set and placed the back side into me ears to see how much sound was coming out of the face plate ports. Interesting to me the sound in my head was very similar to what the set sounds like inserted the correct way, less volume, very similar presentation, bass is not as present without the proper seal.

The frontside of the driver also has a single vent port, which appears to be gasketed from the empty space that the frontside DD ports into. This cavity exits to the neck of the set, and unlike the Traillii, includes a screen.

Absolutely no driver flex, no matter what I did with the set, while inserting or while adjusting.

No expert here but for such a simple design, there are clearly some very careful choices made leading to the sound I am hearing from this set.

Briefly on the cable, this is one of the thinnest cables I have used, the weave is tight, the cable is soft and pliable and does not tangle. The hardware is elegant just like the Isabellae drivers are.

1627048757482.png

Like my sonic journey, because of using the wrong tips there is a bump on the Isabellae underside that caused me some discomfort. There is an indentation that is meant to line up with cartilage within our ears, comparing that to the Traillii shell, it is more pronounced and closer to the neck. The distance from the neck to the bump places that bump somewhat on top of that cartilage instead of straddling it. Once I switched tips and the sensitive area recovered the next day this was no longer an issue, I think with the Shorts I was trying to get a seal and pushing the set in too hard.

1627048773689.png

P6Pro High Gain - Keith Jarrett, Koln concert, for anyone not familiar with that great work, it is recorded live, and occasionally the environment of the crowd can be heard creating atmosphere. Keith moves between sparse moments with single notes sustained, and rapid-fire melodies seemingly invented in the moment. The Isabellae does this recording justice I found myself thoroughly engaged. Keith’s piano remained squarely in the center of my head, at the same time moving in a tight circular pattern from left to right ear, while his verbal grunts sounding behind me and above my head.

Coherency was great at no time did I become distracted by changes in energy level as Keith moved up and down the keys.

1627048784126.png

P6Pro followed by relisten with M8 on Turbo - Karrin Allison, Ballads her smoky voice sounds excellent, supported by lovely full bass, and accented by perfectly balanced upper mids. This album is just incredible and stands 100s of listens, highly recommended.

I switched to the M8 since I wanted to compare the Isa to the Ely and the M8 Elysium synergy, to my ears, this pairing is as good as vocals get for anything I have listened to. Like the Elysium the Isabellae also sounded much better on the M8 than it did on the P6Pro. Good vs Great.

1627048797125.png

M8 Turbo Gain - Goldfrapp, Felt Mountain, track Lovely Head, as the song reaches about 24 seconds the bass guitar kicks in, with the Isabellae this provides a nice bottom to Goldfrapp’s vocals, this base is much less foundational to the mix with the Ely, while at the same time some vocal fatigue slightly kicks in, surprised by this after such a great listen with both sets with the Karrin Alisson tracks, and somewhat favoring the Elysium for Karrin’s music because of the sparkle, now clearly preferring the Isabellae for Goldfrapp.

1627048812838.png

M8 Turbo Gain – Cindy Blackman, Someday, nothing short of awesome, acoustic jazz.

1627048827092.png

M8 Turbo Gain – Various Riverside Albums and Tracks, perfect to my ears for this music.

That was an excellent writeup and an informative & enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #380 of 587
Hello! I needed to ask if anyone has tried Oriolus Isabellae on a Sony WM1A and how is the pairing? Also, in general, what are the kind of sources that pair well with the Isabellae - Warm/Neutral/? I have the Sony WM1A & Oriolus BA300s AMP, and I am evaluating Isabellae. Great help if anyone has any experience or info to share... Thanks a lot

Jul 23, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #381 of 587

29ABEFCD-9DFD-43AB-919C-B6DC7B0B9919.jpeg

My journey this week

Notes on the build

224E22BA-50A8-4CD3-B752-8CB650B2A3F8.jpeg

1627048773689.png

1627048784126.png

1627048797125.png

M8 Turbo Gain - Goldfrapp, Felt Mountain, track Lovely Head, as the song reaches about 24 seconds the bass guitar kicks in, with the Isabellae this provides a nice bottom to Goldfrapp’s vocals, this bass is much less foundational to the mix with the Ely, while at the same time some vocal fatigue slightly kicks in, surprised by this after such a great listen with both sets with the Karrin Alisson tracks, and somewhat favoring the Elysium for Karrin’s music because of the sparkle, now clearly preferring the Isabellae for Goldfrapp.

1627048812838.png

1627048827092.png

Really glad you're enjoying the set. It's a little beauty. The feminine to my masculine IEMs.

Jul 26, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #384 of 587
Woke up this morning ♪
Smile at the rising sun
Two little birds.. :)

The obvious implication is that I'm missing a bird...and we all know what bird that is :p

Jul 26, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #386 of 587
Guys
Help
I am new to IEMs and balanced world in general
I just ordered the Isabellae and, as at the moment I dont have any 4.4 mm source, a 3.5 mm se cable(3.5 mm 2 pin)
Will it work with the Isabellae???
Thanks

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #387 of 587
Guys
Help
I am new to IEMs and balanced world in general
I just ordered the Isabellae and, as at the moment I dont have any 4.4 mm source, a 3.5 mm se cable(3.5 mm 2 pin)
Will it work with the Isabellae???
Thanks

you get 4.4mm to 3.5mm ddhifi adapter and keep the original cable.

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #389 of 587
So it won't work?

What won't work? Those adapters work great. I finally got one so I can quick & easy plug my IEMs into my Macbook and I wish I'd done it a lot sooner.

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #390 of 587
What won't work? Those adapters work great. I finally got one so I can quick & easy plug my IEMs into my Macbook and I wish I'd done it a lot sooner.
Sorry my initial mesage was confusing.
I did order an additional cable. 3.5 se 2 pin
Will the additional cable that I ordered work?
Is just a temporary solution until I buy something with the 4.4 mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back