Oriolus Products General Discussion Thread
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #346 of 587
trying to ignore the urge to cable roll. the nice thing is that the perci comes with a custom PW audio cable....looks like a 1960 4 wire but it's silver plated copper.
Yeah, whats up with the cable? It's weird to me. Do you have to plug both ends in? Does the 3.5 just hang off and scratch up your dap, if you don't?

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #347 of 587
Yeah, whats up with the cable? It's weird to me. Do you have to plug both ends in? Does the 3.5 just hang off and scratch up your dap, if you don't?

Designed for oriolus and sony players apparently where you can switch off the 3.5mm plug when you use the 4.4mm plug. The 3.5mm portion is for grounding. Since 4.4mm plugs don't include a ground, having an external ground can reduce noise resulting in a blacker quieter background

I don't have an oriolus or sony player though...

"The cable is a 4 conductors and 4 independent shielding cable.
It is 5 pin setting,and there are L+,L-,R+,R-,G in the cable.
The G(ground) pin is only for shielding which is independent.
Independent shielding cable make it sound better in the soundstage and more details.

If you are using a Sony 4.4mm jack inside player.
Please plugin it with the follow steps for its automatic balanced mode switching system:
  1. Put the 3.5mmGND plug into Sony's 3.5mm earphone jack.
  2. Put the 4.4mm balanced plug into Sony's 4.4mm balanced earphone Jack.
  3. Check if the balaned mode is ON on the screen of Sony's player.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #348 of 587
Looks like it would be better to buy the SE version and put the $500 savings into a proper balanced cable. I don't want a loose end flapping around scratching everything. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #350 of 587
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #351 of 587
Oriolus Reborn first day impressions...consolidated post, continually updated. Crossposted here.

Earliest of early impressions after just a few test tracks were that this is another work of characteristic Oriolus magic. First thoughts-- very well balanced and pleasing tuning. Think Solaris with more sub-bass, a bit less mid-bass (a little less thump but more woob), not quite as spacious or layered but with more forwardness & even temperedness in the mids combined with The Old Man's peerless affinity for extracting nuance, emotion and subtle textures out of vocals and bringing the whole upper mid-range forward without overshadowing the lower mids, sacrificing weight and body or veering into anything too shouty (it did come a bit close on one of my tracks but that could have been the recording) or sacrificing sweetness in the highs. So far, huge thumbs up.

Some more notes after a few hours. Something I've been surprised about: these things are sub-bass beasts. Not in quantity but in quality-- the bass is quick, thick, very well extended, nicely nuanced & detailed...all in all possibly the most satisfying pure sub-bass experience I've had since the IER Z1R. On the flip side mid-bass oomph, as I noted earlier, is not as strong and at first-- coming right from something like the Dorado or even the Isabellae-- I find myself missing that presence, however invariably after some time passes and my brain adapts to the sound I stop noticing/minding...it's funny how our minds work and what we can adapt to. Not unlike walking into a bright room from the dark-- it's overwhelming at first but after time your perception adjusts accordingly.

On any of my tracks that benefit from a good sub-bass emphasis the Reborn absolutely knocks it out of the park-- I was not expecting the sub-bass to be this good.

Mids are fantastic-- sometimes upper mids veer into "almost too sharp" territory but they never quite get there. I think this is a consequence of missing mid-bass presence I am used to as well as adjusting to, what is in my experience generally sharper, BA midrange timbre. Male vocals are some of the nicest I've heard.

Staging is fairly wide and tall but quite deep-- this is where Reborn's hybrid elements allow it to surpass something like Isa. There is a really nice sense of holographic rendering here and you get the inklings of a tangible 3-d presence-- something that The Old Man perfected in the Traillii.

All that said this IEM has already won me over. My only real reservations so far are 1) re-adjusting back to BA timbre in the mids, 2) not as much mid-bass presence as I usally like, and 3) upper mids come within a hairbreadth of too strident at times...though I must also say that after I've been listening for a while my awareness of all these things vanish as I find myself melting into the inviting, open and embracing tuning of the Oriolius Reborn.

Rock, have you heard the Rhapsiodio Eden? If not I’d be will ing to ship mine to you to compare.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #352 of 587
Rock, have you heard the Rhapsiodio Eden? If not I’d be will ing to ship mine to you to compare.

No but I’d love to hear it :). You cool with shipping to Canada?

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #353 of 587
Jul 17, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #354 of 587
OK, guys, what cable are you using on your Isa? I started off with a Socrates which sounded good, but changed to a PW Audio #10 with more definition.

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #355 of 587
OK, guys, what cable are you using on your Isa? I started off with a Socrates which sounded good, but changed to a PW Audio #10 with more definition.
Is the stock cable not a good pairing with it?

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #356 of 587
Jul 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #357 of 587
Is the stock cable not a good pairing with it?
The stock pairing is quite good for a stock cable, but I thought I would try some of my better cables with it. Socrates was an improvement by smoothing out the sound, but loosing some definition. The PW #10 plays to Isa's strengths and adds some definition and cleans up the sound. This PW is a 4 wire cable so its supple and otherwise nice to use walking or jogging. For those on a budget, its less than $200.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #358 of 587
I haven't personally rolled enough cables with Isa, but I do think there's improvement to be had with others. This 22AWG 7N OCC brings out more body to the bass and lower mids which I think balances the sound quite well!

_DSC2117.jpg

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #360 of 587
Are there any reviews associated with the Reborn LTD vs the Reborn? How much of an improvement is achieved with the LTD version other than what is listed as the component upgrades?
Thank you.

I read somewhere that Oriolus confirmed that the LTD has less bass and more highs than the OG Reborn, which is why I went with the latter. I love that blue shell though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back