flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 24, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #33,106 of 39,414
Jun 24, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #33,107 of 39,414
I honestly feel you're not getting a great seal. Even the slightest loss if seal for me with the IE900 and bass dissapears. You should be hearing some of the best bass on any IEM south of Legend X. I'm yet to hear a track I use to test for bass and think 'i fan use more bass here'. And I own the Legend X (and love Nio M15 too). It has significantly more (and better) bass than NIO with any module other than M15/20 to my ears.

I'm just not sure how I could possibly not be getting a seal. I've tried the largest tips I have, which even if they aren't ideal, they should at least seal. And I can tell some of them definitely are sealed as I get a bit of a vacuum effect when pulling them out of my ears.

It's also not that I hear no bass, it's that quantity wise, relative to the rest of the frequency range, I find it pretty low.

From my listening, the nio, even with the fir O module, has more bass quantity than what I am hearing with the ie900.

IE900 users, have you all tried the included foam tips? I have seen people say they have a difficult time getting the silicone tips to work but the foam tips saved the day.

I likely should try this. Especially as conventional wisdom says that foam should tone down treble a bit and help bring focus on the bass. Problem I just hate foam tips and never feel like I have been able to actually get them to seal properly. Not to mention I hate the idea of having to replace them regularly.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #33,108 of 39,414
I'm just not sure how I could possibly not be getting a seal. I've tried the largest tips I have, which even if they aren't ideal, they should at least seal. And I can tell some of them definitely are sealed as I get a bit of a vacuum effect when pulling them out of my ears.

It's also not that I hear no bass, it's that quantity wise, relative to the rest of the frequency range, I find it pretty low.

From my listening, the nio, even with the fir O module, has more bass quantity than what I am hearing with the ie900.

I likely should try this. Especially as conventional wisdom says that foam should tone down treble a bit and help bring focus on the bass. Problem I just hate foam tips and never feel like I have been able to actually get them to seal properly. Not to mention I hate the idea of having to replace them regularly.

Do you have the R01 for your n6ii?

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #33,109 of 39,414

I hear you. Could just be you've been spoiled by the Nio's bassiness. :sunglasses: Much like the LX, I find the IE900 doesn't add bass where there's none in the track, so you can go through several tracks and not hear it.

Another thing I just thought about - the IE900 needs ALOT of power, as in LX-levels of power, to get to my moderate listening levels. If you're using it at the same volume level as the Nio, you're probably getting decent treble and midrange clarity but not as much bass. Turn it up some, and you'll probably find the mids and treble stay fairly even while the bass level increases nicely. One of the things Jermo specifically mentioned in his Q&A thread was that unlike many designs where you need to turn up the volume to hear the bass, only to be met with excessive treble energy, the IE900 should allow you to go louder the bass without hurting mids/treble. Try it, could be worth a shot.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #33,110 of 39,414
I must confess I have never auditioned anything R2R so I didn't know what to expect with Cayin N6ii Ti / R01 but I sure was intrigued enough to take the dive... and even out of the box I know I don't regret it R01 is a special amp card for sure!

7722F7E1-2001-4586-AAB7-3EEEFB833E80.jpeg

First impressions I must say I was pretty much impressed by the transparency which is really off the charts great, wow 😮

I was expecting a natural sounding unit and it is, but it struck me by the detail retrieval and resolution, tonal accuracy is superb as well which makes for such a realistic portrayal of music. It just feels right in a way that doesn't require to dissect... transparency as I said is really head and shoulders above anything I have heard in a DAP...
You have no idea how excited I am to finally get an R2R DAP! I've missed the sound so much since letting go of my Audio-gd R28 desktop setup. Even the best DS DACs I've heard, and I count the AK4497 in the R8 among those, can't hit that effortlessly natural and transparent signature, and it seems Cayin have the detail retrieval sorted as well (sometimes a downside in imperfect discrete R2R designs). How's the noise floor of the Ti/R01 compared to the M8? That's also something to watch for in R2R designs. Very keen to see what Cayin cooks up with the next-gen R2R DAP design/s next year, and hopefully some other vendors will follow suit.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #33,111 of 39,414
I just spoke with Nico at Beyond The Music here in Jakarta, and I may be able to try the R01 + N6ii (non-Ti) combo in the near future. I'm really curious about that set now myself, so I'll let the threads know when that happens. :wink:

I hear you. Could just be you've been spoiled by the Nio's bassiness. :sunglasses: Much like the LX, I find the IE900 doesn't add bass where there's none in the track, so you can go through several tracks and not hear it.

Another thing I just thought about - the IE900 needs ALOT of power, as in LX-levels of power, to get to my moderate listening levels. If you're using it at the same volume level as the Nio, you're probably getting decent treble and midrange clarity but not as much bass. Turn it up some, and you'll probably find the mids and treble stay fairly even while the bass level increases nicely. One of the things Jermo specifically mentioned in his Q&A thread was that unlike many designs where you need to turn up the volume to hear the bass, only to be met with excessive treble energy, the IE900 should allow you to go louder the bass without hurting mids/treble. Try it, could be worth a shot.
That's mostly because of the Fletcher-Munson curve, I believe. The bass falls off far more than the mids or treble when you turn the volume down, which is why you can typically "customise" an in-ear's lows (to a degree, obviously) simply by turning the listening level up or down. It's also why I tend to prefer warmer, darker in-ears for low-level listening.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #33,112 of 39,414

It's our for delivery, so if they show up when they usually do, probably in about 4 hours.

I'm finding with my n6ii/E01 that in overall loudness level, they are pretty close to the nio, and maybe need a couple more clicks compared to the Jolene.

I tried turning the volume up a bit and the bass did come out more, but overall volume at that point was more than my comfortable level.

I'm thinking they may just not be for me. Though I do still find myself a little confused since what I'm hearing does not seem to match up with others descriptions I have read.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #33,113 of 39,414
I must confess I have never auditioned anything R2R so I didn't know what to expect with Cayin N6ii Ti / R01 but I sure was intrigued enough to take the dive... and even out of the box I know I don't regret it R01 is a special amp card for sure!

First impressions I must say I was pretty much impressed by the transparency which is really off the charts great, wow 😮

I was expecting a natural sounding unit and it is, but it struck me by the detail retrieval and resolution, tonal accuracy is superb as well which makes for such a realistic portrayal of music. It just feels right in a way that doesn't require to dissect... transparency as I said is really head and shoulders above anything I have heard in a DAP...

That N6ii Ti is the real deal man.

@gLer I’ll get you the graphs later, busy day today. Totally forgot yesterday haha.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #33,114 of 39,414
I just spoke with Nico at Beyond The Music here in Jakarta, and I may be able to try the R01 + N6ii (non-Ti) combo in the near future. I'm really curious about that set now myself, so I'll let the threads know when that happens. :wink:

Exciting can't wait to hear your thoughts. We'll see if I can resist taking the plunge on one of these this summer.

I'm thinking they may just not be for me. Though I do still find myself a little confused since what I'm hearing does not seem to match up with others descriptions I have read.

Sometimes that happens to all of us. To thine own ears be true etc. etc.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #33,115 of 39,414
I'm finding with my n6ii/E01 that in overall loudness level, they are pretty close to the nio
Definitely sounding different to how I'm hearing it. On Nio I was at 33/100 on the R8 for comfortable listening, with the IE900 I'm at 42-44. Even with LX I'm at 38-40. That's high gain turbo, balanced, no detectable hiss.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #33,116 of 39,414
On a related note, lately every time I see someone's list or viewpoint I strongly disagree with instead of responding I think of this guy:

IMG_4659-2.jpg

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #33,117 of 39,414
Another thing I just thought about - the IE900 needs ALOT of power, as in LX-levels of power, to get to my moderate listening levels.
I can't agree with this at all. Every single DAP i've tried, including some cheap stuff like sansa clip sport something, could drive IE900 easily.
And with PAW6000 for example, i'm listening at around 50, low gain. But then, i don't have any hearing loss and listening at low/moderate levels.

I'd probably just send it back at this point and move on :)
Happened often enough to me as well, when something overhyped just sounded meh to me.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #33,118 of 39,414
I can't agree with this at all. Every single DAP i've tried, including some cheap stuff like sansa clip sport something, could drive IE900 easily.
And with PAW6000 for example, i'm listening at around 50, low gain. But then, i don't have any hearing loss and listening at low/moderate levels.

Happened often enough to me as well, when something overhyped just sounded meh to me.
I listen at relatively low volumes too which may explain things a bit. 34 on n6ii/e01 low gain for the ie900 and nio, 32 for Jolene. I have actually found very few items that really need much more.

I don't think these are overhyped either. They are quite good. Just don't seem to be hitting my preferences. I'll still probably give them through the weekend at least.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #33,119 of 39,414

I didn't say it was difficult to drive, just that I'm turning the volume level higher than I did for the Nio and some other IEMs. I still consider it very easy to drive. Works great on my phone too. Agree that if something doesn't click with you, it doesn't click. Hyped or not. 'Good' or not. Happened to me before many times. I just need to think of all the times I've auditioned Andromeda and scratched my head as to why people rave about that IEM.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #33,120 of 39,414
I didn't say it was difficult to drive, just that I'm turning the volume level higher than I did for the Nio and some other IEMs. I still consider it very easy to drive. Works great on my phone too. Agree that if something doesn't click with you, it doesn't click. Hyped or not. 'Good' or not. Happened to me before many times. I just need to think of all the times I've auditioned Andromeda and scratched my head as to why people rave about that IEM.

u12t for me, although I still think it’s really good.

The IE900 is a weird one, it’s definitely not even my preferred tonality in the mid range but I still really enjoyed listening to it regardless. Probably comes down to the bass on it for me. In terms of being elevated yet still maintaining control/speed, etc.. it’s one of the best from a DD for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back