flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #30,751 of 39,419
Apr 27, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #30,755 of 39,419
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #30,756 of 39,419
Shhh don't give them any ideas.
As long as they pack it in a cherry display box with brass hinges, I am in. Would like a decent amount of typos as well. And a shirt clip that is way too small for the cable to fit through.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #30,757 of 39,419
As long as they pack it in a cherry display box with brass hinges, I am in. Would like a decent amount of typos as well. And a shirt clip that is way too small for the cable to fit through.
Sounds like the BLON XXX Audiophool Edition to me :grin:

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #30,758 of 39,419
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #30,759 of 39,419
Campfire Blon joint effort, very international.
5 model limited run, only available to members of the top secret club that no one knows about!

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #30,760 of 39,419
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #30,761 of 39,419
Thinking about the Valkyrie MKII now, if I can EQ bass bleed in, it may sound perfect.

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #30,762 of 39,419
Seems like I went the wasteful way where everything had to be over $2,000.00.
Would have been served well enough following something like your discipline.

I didn’t factor cost into any decision, ended up spending a small fortune, so far... and I am weak... with no self control... and two dimes short of a dollar.

My limit is purely function of my finances-- I want to pursue this hobby in a way that is meaningful and sustainable, If I could afford multiple $3K+ IEMs then I would indulge myself (so my statement was not meant to paint $2K as some sort of objective cutoff point). For what it's worth I'm weak and also lack self control and as such I just purchased an Andromeda 2020 this afternoon.

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #30,763 of 39,419
My limit is purely function of my finances-- I want to pursue this hobby in a way that is meaningful and sustainable, If I could afford multiple $3K+ IEMs then I would indulge myself (so my statement was not meant to paint $2K as some sort of objective cutoff point). For what it's worth I'm weak and also lack self control and as such I just purchased an Andromeda 2020 this afternoon.
I was going to chew you out for sounding sensible (that attitude has no place in this hobby), but then you brought it back with your Andro 2020 purchase.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #30,764 of 39,419
I was not trying in any way to disparage your choices.

It is not that easy finding sets that do something for me. When I do, others do not hear them the same way, and may think I am wasting valuable resources on them.

I have listened to so many sets, bought only a few. There are sets I just don’t get LX Odin etc... I keep trying them though thinking I must be wrong, what am I missing. I liked the Dorado when I listened to it, came close. And I think we agree on the Elysium, another controversial set.
Added the Thummim and some people think it is really terrible, others not worth the price, but darn if I could not get what it sounds like out of my head.

Never sold anything ever, just stop using it. Have a pile of camera lenses, speakers, receivers, etc.. I should sell. Just never get around to it.

I am going to leave a big mess behind for my kids to have to deal with, 20,000 CDs, minerals, thousands of paintings and sculptures, so many tools. Maybe when I retire if I live that long I will pair down.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #30,765 of 39,419
Best V shaped IEM I have ever heard was the Valkyrie... They have the MKII out now. No bass bleed though and under $2k

I've yet to really connect with a v-shaped IEM-- but the Valkyrie has been off and on my radar for a while. What's the difference between the Valkyrie and Bravado? According to the marketing literature they have all the same tech and drivers (beyond Bravado having an extra BA) and yet Valkyrie is twice the price.

Yeah if you're into bass, there can be only one. Unless you want bass bleeding all over your mids, in which case the LX isn't for you 😉

The LX avoids bleed that is true but it comes at the cost of air and sparkle in the signature. I had the LX as my only IEM for a month last year and after two weeks I found them nearly suffocating to listen to. They're a great special teams IEM and are peerless in their own way but I personally find something like the Dorado less fatiguing to listen to full time over time despite the fact that there is some upper mid recession behind the bass. As with everything though YMMV etc.

I was not trying in any way to disparage your choices.

It is not that easy finding sets that do something for me. When I do, others do not hear them the same way, and may think I am wasting valuable resources on them.

I have listened to so many sets, bought only a few. There are sets I just don’t get LX Odin etc... I keep trying them though thinking I must be wrong, what am I missing. I liked the Dorado when I listened to it, came close. And I think we agree on the Elysium, another controversial set.
Added the Thummim and some people think it is really terrible, others not worth the price, but darn if I could not get what it sounds like out of my head.

Glad to hear you like the Thum-- it is surely one of the most divisive IEMs out there. It's similar to the Dorado in that it seems to evoke really strong reactions from people. There are some (like me) who think it's one of the best things on the market right now while there are others who feel equally strongly that it's not . You can't please everyone and ultimately you don't have to-- my number 1 maxim in this hobby is that everyone should be free to pursue it in whatever way is meaningful to them. Your own ears and emotions are really the only things that matter (as well as a nominal amount of "responsibility").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back