flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 27, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #30,768 of 39,419
I was not trying in any way to disparage your choices.

It is not that easy finding sets that do something for me. When I do, others do not hear them the same way, and may think I am wasting valuable resources on them.

I have listened to so many sets, bought only a few. There are sets I just don’t get LX Odin etc... I keep trying them though thinking I must be wrong, what am I missing. I liked the Dorado when I listened to it, came close. And I think we agree on the Elysium, another controversial set.
Added the Thummim and some people think it is really terrible, others not worth the price, but darn if I could not get what it sounds like out of my head.

Never sold anything ever, just stop using it. Have a pile of camera lenses, speakers, receivers, etc.. I should sell. Just never get around to it.

I am going to leave a big mess behind for my kids to have to deal with, 20,000 CDs, minerals, thousands of paintings and sculptures, so many tools. Maybe when I retire if I live that long I will pair down.
Can I have some of those lenses please? 😂

Don’t worry man, I totally get you. I love the Wraith for example, and it got quite the “hate” or “meh” from others. But it’s amazing to my ears.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #30,769 of 39,419
I am going to leave a big mess behind for my kids to have to deal with, 20,000 CDs, minerals, thousands of paintings and sculptures, so many tools. Maybe when I retire if I live that long I will pair down.

My dad is the same lol. Only reason some of things are sold is that the clutter drives my mom nuts.

Entire basement is so full theres only space for one path to walk into and out.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #30,770 of 39,419
I just discovered my inner basshead with the qdc Anole VX by using the bass "on" switch. All reviewers said it is too much and bleeds into everything. Don't care, it is so much more fun now, I do not think this switch position is going back anytime soon :).
You just described succinctly why I love the LX! Reference be damned, I listen to music for pleasure, not to dissect it.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #30,771 of 39,419
Bundle it with a 1950s cable and call it a limited edition

Ironically, there was a Polaris V2 combo deal with a specially tuned version of the PW Audio No.10 cable in Hong Kong almost exactly 1 year ago. I actually grabbed this combo for <$400 USD, great deal.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #30,772 of 39,419
I was not trying in any way to disparage your choices.

It is not that easy finding sets that do something for me. When I do, others do not hear them the same way, and may think I am wasting valuable resources on them.

I have listened to so many sets, bought only a few. There are sets I just don’t get LX Odin etc... I keep trying them though thinking I must be wrong, what am I missing. I liked the Dorado when I listened to it, came close. And I think we agree on the Elysium, another controversial set.
Added the Thummim and some people think it is really terrible, others not worth the price, but darn if I could not get what it sounds like out of my head.

Never sold anything ever, just stop using it. Have a pile of camera lenses, speakers, receivers, etc.. I should sell. Just never get around to it.

The Thummim sounds fantastic, it plays fun music, reference my ass, I've decided to abandon my Google Ph.D. in musicology, and swing for the fences! Damn, I'm out of cliches, have to reload.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #30,773 of 39,419
The LX avoids bleed that is true but it comes at the cost of air and sparkle in the signature. I had the LX as my only IEM for a month last year and after two weeks I found them nearly suffocating to listen to. They're a great special teams IEM and are peerless in their own way but I personally find something like the Dorado less fatiguing to listen to full time over time despite the fact that there is some upper mid recession behind the bass. As with everything though YMMV etc.
Interesting take. I personally think the LX has more than enough sparkle. In fact I held out on LX for a long time thinking it might have TOO much treble sparkle based on the FR, but as it turns out the treble is silky smooth and far more extended than Nio (and I liked Nio for its relaxed treble). Then again anything too bright and sparkly is an immediate turnoff for me, especially without dollops of bass to compensate, so YMMV.

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #30,774 of 39,419
Interesting take. I personally think the LX has more than enough sparkle. In fact I held out on LX for a long time thinking it might have TOO much treble sparkle based on the FR, but as it turns out the treble is silky smooth and far more extended than Nio (and I liked Nio for its relaxed treble). Then again anything too bright and sparkly is an immediate turnoff for me, especially without dollops of bass to compensate, so YMMV.
I concur with your opinion, Sir, particularly with the Socrates Cable.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #30,775 of 39,419
Can I have some of those lenses please? 😂
Me too! 🤣
Don’t worry man, I totally get you. I love the Wraith for example, and it got quite the “hate” or “meh” from others. But it’s amazing to my ears.
The Wraith need an insane amount of power and if they get that, they sound superb. I never heard the Zeus, but I imagine the Wraith to be like the Zeus on steroids when they are driver to their full potential.

On a different note. Art... Pure art... 🤤
DITAxFinal.jpg

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #30,776 of 39,419
LX can sound like a completely different IEM depending on what DAP/source one uses. Perhaps @Rockwell75 was using something that didn’t compliment LX’s treble ability?

Listening to my OG LX right now with an SP2000 and the treble sounds excellent. No shortage of sparkle :) but if I go plug it into my WM1Z, I know it will sound like a dark congested mess.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #30,777 of 39,419
The Thummim sounds fantastic, it plays fun music, reference my ass, I've decided to abandon my Google Ph.D. in musicology, and swing for the fences! Damn, I'm out of cliches, have to reload.
+1 without the degree.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #30,779 of 39,419
yeah ... there're a lot of audio-academics here on head-fi

dammit you've got me interested in the thummin now
Thanks to Google and the WWW we are all;

Philosophers
Engineers
Doctors of everything
Speak all languages
Cook any food from anywhere in the world
Know everyone’s personal business
Form way too many polarized opinions, like this one...

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #30,780 of 39,419
Had a crazy thought, if you wanted to add color to your IEM collection but where not quite sure what color. If you demo the most polarized and loved/hated IEMs you would probably find what you were looking for. IEMs where some think it is one of their favorites and others think it is one of the worst they ever heard.

What are they? Over $1,000 TOTLs so the list does not get too long. (And this is a flagship thread after all)

Valkyrie
Thummim

🙃 Upside down crazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back