flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 3, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #2,971 of 39,414
I'd initially imagined a watch drawer myself, but a motorised tie rack is way better :D

Thank you man! The price drop is ridiculous when you think about it, which makes the poison just as venomous.
Ooh, I know! A combination. (C)IEMs in the watch drawer, cables on the tie rack above. "Hmmm... I am in a Zeus mood today, perhaps with splash of Leonidas." :sweat_smile:

I can imagine and hope you find a way to make optimal use of the price drop! That full carbon fibre sounds really nice... :yum:

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,972 of 39,414
Ooh, I know! A combination. (C)IEMs in the watch drawer, cables on the tie rack above. "Hmmm... I am in a Zeus mood today, perhaps with splash of Leonidas." :sweat_smile:

I can imagine and hope you find a way to make optimal use of the price drop! That full carbon fibre sounds really nice... :yum:

Damn, that's genius! :D

If the tentative price for the full carbon fiber shell turns out to be true, my full SF Flamenco will be cheaper than the universal :D

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,973 of 39,414
so no4 tomorrow will be .....which one ?

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,974 of 39,414
Ares II pairs real good with Zeus XR. The ergonomics of that cable are awesome as well as the sound.

Ares II+ is no slouch with the Zeus-XR, either. Think I actually prefer it to the Leonidas for my particular tastes.

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #2,976 of 39,414
Keeping my fingers crossed that the beer cap IEMs will go through into the top 3! :D
Beer cap is God tier. IEMs like tia forte, Zeus, A18 and even the Prelude can't even compete. However you do need to ascend to a higher being to get the most of the beer cap.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #2,978 of 39,414
Speaking of the Prelude, do check out Lieven of Headfonia's CJ London impressions.

His Yellow Translucent shell with gold specks on Cocobolo faceplates is gorgeous! And whats more, the guys at WarblerAudio won't charge extras for such faceplates and the icing on the cake is that their logo is real sterling silver!

Sublime, simply sublime....

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #2,979 of 39,414
Speaking of the Prelude, do check out Lieven of Headfonia's CJ London impressions.

His Yellow Translucent shell with gold specks on Cocobolo faceplates is gorgeous! And whats more, the guys at WarblerAudio won't charge extras for such faceplates and the icing on the cake is that their logo is real sterling silver!

Had to check back, apparently I completely overlooked them because I was too intoxicated by the Leonidas 8-wire. :D But yeah, those look very, very good!

Effect-Audio-Leonidas-8-wire.jpg

http://www.headfonia.com/blog-canjam-london-2017-part-1/4/

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #2,981 of 39,414

They are gorgeous indeed! I asked Lieven when his review of the Prelude will be coming out, but unfortunately he replied saying he's waiting for the green light from Warbler. Interesting considering jelt's posted his review and Nic's bound to release his within a few weeks.

In the meantime, I asked a Prelude owner I know in Singapore what he thought of the IEM. He replied saying it has one of the most beautiful midranges he's ever heard, but lacks treble extension (as expected from a single BA), and is sensitive to cable and DAP changes. Now, to fly over there and force-fit them for myself...

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #2,983 of 39,414
Not sure about that. Reason why many of these companies have big sales a few times a year. They need to clear out stock that's not selling.

A lot of ppl get fooled by the big discounts. Those are psychological pricing.

Brands marked an IEM worth of us$100 20 times higher and give 50% discount. A lot of pls pays 1000 for a 100 products.

After a few years, they sell their ex-model at 75% off, and they still make super hugh profit.

Compare vega to Lyra ii, the production cost might be less than 10 dollars different for a pair.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,984 of 39,414
A lot of ppl get fooled by the big discounts. Those are psychological pricing.

Brands marked an IEM worth of us$100 20 times higher and give 50% discount. A lot of pls pays 1000 for a 100 products.

After a few years, they sell their ex-model at 75% off, and they still make super hugh profit.

Compare vega to Lyra ii, the production cost might be less than 10 dollars different for a pair.

According to Jude and Ken Ball from the Head-Fi TV episode on the Vega, its driver is a proprietary dynamic driver with a diamond-like diaphragm that's hard to produce, super low yield, and therefore expensive to make. But, whether you believe them or not is, as always, up to you.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,985 of 39,414
Oh boy, oh boy...isn't it Friday today? Yes it is, isn't it? Looking forward to the #4 review later on...
3690914949_cfea954aec.jpg

And once it's there I usually feel like this for the first minutes :grin:
07-funny-gif-167-happy-dog.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back