flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 4, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #3,002 of 39,414
So amidst of all the discussion, I would like to celebrate our 200th page and 3000th post(!) with perhaps the most anticipated iem, or at least the most discussed: the Warbler Prelude.
Congratulations! ...on the understatement of the thread! :D
I've written 4 reviews of the Prelude before reaching this point, each one largely from the ground up. The first one was almost exactly a year ago shortly after I received it. It was placed on hold since the company was not officially being launched. Then later around January I wrote a first draft of most of the iems in the shootout, which mostly turned out to be a waste of my time as my writing style would later evolve. Later I picked some bones out of it, and rewrote it to an adaptation to match the current theme.

However, in the course of the shootout the Prelude has taken on a life of its own, due to its affordable price and single driver count. But ironically, the Prelude isn't a hype-worthy iem in its tuning. Well, it is for me in a way. But in the current market, priorities have among others shifted towards stage, detail, and bass; to give iems a big 'wow factor', that listeners are expecting when they upgrade from lower offerings. People's preferences have shifted away from aspects like timbre, and manufacturers respond accordingly. Like I wrote before, this shootout honors a somewhat 'ancient' philosophy of audiophile analysis; while the Prelude equally in turn happens to be tuned as such. This is the reason the Prelude has made it so far, but it isn't something that will necessarily translate to the listener. This is the background from which I wrote the final version this week. Without further ado, the Warbler Prelude.

Rank 4:

Time to settle down for a nice read on a lovely Friday afternoon! :)

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #3,003 of 39,414
So amidst of all the discussion, I would like to celebrate our 200th page and 3000th post(!) with perhaps the most anticipated iem, or at least the most discussed: the Warbler Prelude. I've written 4 reviews of the Prelude before reaching this point, each one largely from the ground up. The first one was almost exactly a year ago shortly after I received it. It was placed on hold since the company was not officially being launched. Then later around January I wrote a first draft of most of the iems in the shootout, which mostly turned out to be a waste of my time as my writing style would later evolve. Later I picked some bones out of it, and rewrote it to an adaptation to match the current theme.

However, in the course of the shootout the Prelude has taken on a life of its own, due to its affordable price and single driver count. But ironically, the Prelude isn't a hype-worthy iem in its tuning. Well, it is for me in a way. But in the current market, priorities have among others shifted towards stage, detail, and bass; to give iems a big 'wow factor', that listeners are expecting when they upgrade from lower offerings. People's preferences have shifted away from aspects like timbre, and manufacturers respond accordingly. Like I wrote before, this shootout honors a somewhat 'ancient' philosophy of audiophile analysis; while the Prelude equally in turn happens to be tuned as such. This is the reason the Prelude has made it so far, but it isn't something that will necessarily translate to the listener. This is the background from which I wrote the final version this week. Without further ado, the Warbler Prelude.

Rank 4:

I made the Vega post right before church and since then a whole two pages of posts (loosely and indirectly, of course) have come to my defense AND Nic's Warbler review?! God truly is good :D

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #3,005 of 39,414
So amidst of all the discussion, I would like to celebrate our 200th page and 3000th post(!) with perhaps the most anticipated iem, or at least the most discussed: the Warbler Prelude. I've written 4 reviews of the Prelude before reaching this point, each one largely from the ground up. The first one was almost exactly a year ago shortly after I received it. It was placed on hold since the company was not officially being launched. Then later around January I wrote a first draft of most of the iems in the shootout, which mostly turned out to be a waste of my time as my writing style would later evolve. Later I picked some bones out of it, and rewrote it to an adaptation to match the current theme.

Rank 4:

Well sounds like the traditional pitfalls of extension will still plague the Prelude... not like it wasn't expected :frowning2:

I'm still highly skeptical that a single BA driver IEM can be so technically proficient based on my understanding of the technology. Very, very interested to hear it once I get the funding to do so; but based off your review I think I'll be the one to fuel the controversy.

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #3,006 of 39,414
Just finished giving the Prelude review a read and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fighting the urge to buy a pair right now. I think I've had my fair share of looking at IEMs/headphones for analytical technical performance. After listening to my Zeus-XR and my HD800S for so long, and recently rediscovering and being completely seduced by my HD650's and H8.2's warmth, the Prelude might be what I need right now.

Plus, I coincidentally just adjusted my budget for another $1K-ish audio purchase and your review couldn't have arrived at a more perfect time :p

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3,007 of 39,414
Just finished giving the Prelude review a read and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fighting the urge to buy a pair right now. I think I've had my fair share of looking at IEMs/headphones for analytical technical performance. After listening to my Zeus-XR and my HD800S for so long, and recently rediscovering and being completely seduced by my HD650's and H8.2's warmth, the Prelude might be what I need right now.
You and me both! It is really close to the UE18+ Pro, but has other characteristics that I really like. I can only imagine what London Grammar would sound like with the Warbler. If only I could buy several!
Plus, I coincidentally just adjusted my budget for another $1K-ish audio purchase and your review couldn't have arrived at a more perfect time :p
You lucky B...

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,012 of 39,414
Prediction:

1. Zeus XIV
2. A18
3. Spiral 5 way

I find it hilarious how many of us (or, me, at least) are treating the Warbler review like the end of the shoot-out and forgetting that there are three more IEMs in the running for no. 1 :D

The 5-Way is the only one I haven't heard of the three, but the Prelude's got one hand on my money already... should be an interesting next few weeks :wink:

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3,013 of 39,414
that was really satisfying read, from what i experienced single BA configuration always have a problem in upper extension, lower extension or both. never thought it still plague warbler, i think it really is the physical limitation of a single BA driver.

what really interesting for me is the high technicality aspect albeit the roll off, reflecting on the score it have a transparency and imaging score that almost rival samba and s-em9 which is originally tuned for brighter and more reference sound, i always thought by having attenuated lower treble and thick mid this is really hard to achieve, moreover the soundstage score is the lowest among all the shootout. in my experience never once intimate and warm tuning with good separation and imaging could go together

at this point i'm almost sure warbler use some fairy sprinkle or unicorn blood to achieve this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

BTW my 3 top picks will goes to
3.SE5
2.zeus
1.A18

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #3,014 of 39,414
Prediction:

1. Zeus XIV
2. A18
3. Spiral 5 way

I think the A18 takes it.... i'm a huge fan of my encores but the A18 was something else. Can't wait for the next few weeks

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #3,015 of 39,414
I find it hilarious how many of us (or, me, at least) are treating the Warbler review like the end of the shoot-out and forgetting that there are three more IEMs in the running for no. 1 :D
Yeah, who cares about the rest now we know where the Warbler ended up! :D And anyway, I will never be able to own the 5-way and the other two will require far too many puppies to bribe my wife with. :p

Still interested though to see how the "older" 5-way fares against the 18-driver behemoth and the God of Thunder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back