flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 18, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #22,471 of 39,418
Thanks for this...very interesting - fascinating, almost, considering the price of these things!
Any chance you've also heard their more attainable uni's, the Homunculus? I believe they share some of the same driver technologies...

Thanks!
Unfortunately not :frowning2: I’m really curious about it too as I’ve heard great stuff about it

I’ll be sharing quite a lot of details about the tech employed in them in my full review, and wanted to discuss the price there as well

Realistically, these are 3500$ IEMs but MMR went all like - “do you want a cable upgrade? Well of course you do!” The Plato is an excellent pure silver cable and I’m confident that I’ll be using the Thumimm with it

The Fourte is priced a fair bit lower at 3600$ but it might as well not come with a cable considering how terrible that stock wire is

May 18, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #22,472 of 39,418
its confusing time which to buy blindly, the new solaris or the new sultan by noble

i do not have build issues with my khan, nor with my encore brass which i sold

the question is just about sound, i adore my khan, while i did not have great experience with solaris og when i auditioned it in Hong Kong, it was good but not that great. But again i believe auditioning for an hour is not enough.

so would an 1500 usd solaris 2020 be as good as the claimed new sultan or any of those newly released totl iems, would it even be better than either the khan or my sony z1r. All i see is that campfire seems to have a big following, while non of their iems from andromeda till solaris impressed me that much, in auditions i had with them for an hour or so

i have a certain preference for sound, which is big bold full and rich, mids must be perfect and bass should be perfect.

so here are some of notes of wishes to be improved in some iems

1- sony : wish it had better mids
2- khan wish it was a bit more full sounding, but still its my preferred among them all
3- lola wish it had less splashy highs, and better mids sometimes i feel the mids are great and sometimes lacking which is very strange. I wish all iems give this huge stage as lola and roxanne .below. Non of my iems have the same stage as lola or roxanne. Lola gives me the most goose bumps when the recording quality is great, and i nail the fit and placement of the tips more than all my iems, but again with some songs it has its short comings. I think i need a totl new cable as the after market cable with the adapters might cause this splashy treble. As with the stock cable the treble is fine, but i lose on stage compared to using the after market cable. I am using copper/silver cable from OC studio with an adapter and bass dial
4- roxanne wish it has better detail and better controlled bass. Honestly Rox and Lola those are the only iems I have that I think are the closest to headphones period
5- angie strangely i like it alot wish it had better bass
6- kse 1500, wish it was not an electrostatic system, with better sound stage
7- tia trio- wish it had better detailed mids and better detail in general, and bass more controlled

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #22,473 of 39,418
Unfortunately not :frowning2: I’m really curious about it too as I’ve heard great stuff about it

I’ll be sharing quite a lot of details about the tech employed in them in my full review, and wanted to discuss the price there as well

Realistically, these are 3500$ IEMs but MMR went all like - “do you want a cable upgrade? Well of course you do!” The Plato is an excellent pure silver cable and I’m confident that I’ll be using the Thumimm with it

The Fourte is priced a fair bit lower at 3600$ but it might as well not come with a cable considering how terrible that stock wire is
Perfect thanks! Looking forward to the full review.

May 18, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #22,474 of 39,418
its confusing time which to buy blindly, the new solaris or the new sultan by noble

the question is just about sound, i adore my khan, while i did not have great experience with solaris og when i auditioned it in Hong Kong, it was good but not that great. But again i believe auditioning for an hour is not enough.

so would an 1500 usd solaris 2020 be as great as the new sultan, would it even be better than either the khan or my sony z1r. All i see is that campfire seems to have a big following, while non of their iems from andromeda till solaris impressed me that much, in auditions i had with them for an hour or so

i have a certain preference for sound, which is big bold full and rich, mids must be perfect and bass should be perfect.

2- khan wish it was a bit more full sounding, and still its my preferred among them all
3- lola wish it had less splashy highs, and better mids sometimes i feel the mids are great and sometimes lacking which is very strange
4- roxanne wish it has better detail
6- kse 1500, wish it was not an electrostatic system

Sell everything and buy the ERLKöNIG :p

May 18, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #22,475 of 39,418
ll be sharing quite a lot of details about the tech employed in them in my full review, and wanted to discuss the price there as wellw
It will be a good read. Justifying this price will require more than just the usual R&D blablabla. Please take no offense, it's just that using such superlatives at early listening stages with such pricy IEMs, which already encountered "mixed" feedbacks, attracts attention and expectations. For the time being, it is nice to read your take on these and even nicer to read your enthusiasm. Let the review coming :)

May 18, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #22,476 of 39,418
Sell everything and buy the ERLKöNIG :p
so so so true, so here is the real wish I should have gotten the Erlkonig and call it a day. how about a trade with some iems :)

May 18, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #22,477 of 39,418
It will be a good read. Justifying this price will require more than just the usual R&D blablabla. Please take no offense, it's just that using such superlatives at early listening stages with such pricy IEMs, which already encountered "mixed" feedbacks, attracts attention and expectations. For the time being, it is nice to read your take on these and even nicer to read your enthusiasm. Let the review coming :)
Yeah definitely, I can’t blame you for the skepticism - I’ve read some of the criticisms that have been addressed at MMR, I can’t say I personally agree with the ones addressed at the Thumimm, but I’ve hated IEMs that others have really enjoyed and such is the nature of the hobby really :)

One thing I can promise is that anything I may dislike will be fully discussed in the review - I’ve never held back when I felt that something could be done better or should be done better, and this will be no exception

@SeeSax is going to be getting a pair as well and I believe @Wyville received a demo today, so I think we will collective be able to provide some useful feedback :)

May 18, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #22,478 of 39,418
One thing I can promise is that anything I may dislike will be fully discussed in the review - I’ve never held back when I felt that something could be done better or should be done better, and this will be no exception

This is can definitely attest to 🤣

May 18, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #22,479 of 39,418
Any chance you've also heard their more attainable uni's, the Homunculus? I believe they share some of the same driver technologies...

@SeeSax is going to be getting a pair as well and I believe @Wyville received a demo today, so I think we will collective be able to provide some useful feedback :)
My feedback of the complete line up, long postponed, should come out by this week-end :wink:

May 18, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #22,480 of 39,418

so would an 1500 usd solaris 2020 be as good as the claimed new sultan or any of those newly released totl iems, would it even be better than either the khan or my sony z1r. All i see is that campfire seems to have a big following, while non of their iems from andromeda till solaris impressed me that much, in auditions i had with them for an hour or so

2- khan wish it was a bit more full sounding, but still its my preferred among them all
3- lola wish it had less splashy highs, and better mids sometimes i feel the mids are great and sometimes lacking which is very strange. I wish all iems give this huge stage as lola and roxanne .below. Non of my iems have the same stage as lola or roxanne. Lola gives me the most goose bumps when the recording quality is great, and i nail the fit and placement of the tips more than all my iems, but again with some songs it has its short comings. I think i need a totl new cable as the after market cable with the adapters might cause this splashy treble. As with the stock cable the treble is fine, but i lose on stage compared to using the after market cable. I am using copper/silver cable from OC studio with an adapter and bass dial
4- roxanne wish it has better detail and better controlled bass. Honestly Rox and Lola those are the only iems I have that I think are the closest to headphones period
6- kse 1500, wish it was not an electrostatic system, with better sound stage
7- tia trio- wish it had better detailed mids and better detail in general, and bass more controlled

I hope to be making direct comparisons between Sultan, Khan, and Solaris 2020 very soon. :)

May 18, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #22,481 of 39,418
@mvvRAZ That's a lot of facets....and angles. have you taken to summoning many angled ones for listening purposes?!

May 19, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #22,482 of 39,418
@mvvRAZ That's a lot of facets....and angles. have you taken to summoning many angled ones for listening purposes?!
It's a good thing there's nobody that's into conspiracy theories at home or they'd flip :D

May 19, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #22,483 of 39,418
Very important opinion and advice given here. Mood, stress and health affect perception of sound. It actually is quite logical, but it gets forgotten nevertheless. Thanks for this welcomed reminder. Maybe it's also one of the reason why it's important to have slightly different sound signature setups at hand sometimes...

To another extent, it is also not recommended to listen to too many setups a day (i.e. CanJam or similar marathon testing). It fatigues your ears and reduces accuracy while listening. You can miss something great doing so. Think wine testing or parfumes smelling. It sores your senses if you give them too much of good or bad things to experience.
Thanks! Yes, so important to keep those things in mind. I am probably more aware of it because it is something I live with 24/7. I use music to help improve my concentration so I can work at the level that I work, but if I listen at the wrong time it can have the opposite effect and just make me more tired. I select the IEMs I listen to based on how I feel and what I think I will benefit from most at that moment. Switching too much is also indeed a mistake that can be very fatiguing. Yesterday I did some comparisons for a review (4 IEMs in total) and today I probably won't listen to music outside of training, just to allow myself to recover. I am probably more sensitive than most to these things, but I also think everyone will experience it to some degree.

May 19, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #22,484 of 39,418
Thanks! Yes, so important to keep those things in mind. I am probably more aware of it because it is something I live with 24/7. I use music to help improve my concentration so I can work at the level that I work, but if I listen at the wrong time it can have the opposite effect and just make me more tired. I select the IEMs I listen to based on how I feel and what I think I will benefit from most at that moment. Switching too much is also indeed a mistake that can be very fatiguing. Yesterday I did some comparisons for a review (4 IEMs in total) and today I probably won't listen to music outside of training, just to allow myself to recover. I am probably more sensitive than most to these things, but I also think everyone will experience it to some degree.
Being also listening to music with IEMs min. 5/6 hours per day, giving the ears some rest at some point is mandatory for me as well.

May 19, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #22,485 of 39,418
Okayy let's go with some preliminary impressions of the MMR Thummim

Since 2019/2020 is a sort of reviewer wars season, the MMR Thummim has been sent to me in exchange for an honest review - I will however have to send it back in a few weeks should I choose to not purchase it, but (spoiler alert) the only way I'm sending this back is if I go deaf between now and tomorrow somehow. No incentives for a positive review have been provided

The first thing that most people are concerned about is the fit - the rough edges and large shells don't look especially inviting, but I personally found them to be quite comfortable after experimenting with a variety of tips. I don't even have "break in" discomfort (which I had with both the Andromeda and the Z1R) and I'm saying that after having had them in my ears for the past 6.5 hours without taking them out for more than 10 minutes

Writing impressions of the Thummim is something I'm finding especially difficult because of how obsessed I've become with them over the course of the day. They're quite simply put one of the most magnificent pieces I've come across

The bass is on the slow side - extremely drawn out decay, very reminiscent of the IER Z1R. The midbass on it feels a bit more pronounced than that of the Z1R however, slightly punchier. The subbass is exceptional, with amazing texture and rather elevated presence. Might just be my favourite bass presentation out of anything I've heard. I'm also glad MMR decided to be bold with the DD tuning and let it do what it does best

The midrange is quite simply put the best BA midrange I've ever come across. It is thick, textured and relatively neutral in quantity. The bass and treble both have a lift, pushing the Thumimm towards a gentle V or rather, U shape, but as far as raw mids are concerned, I don't think I've heard much better except for those of the VE Elysium. The Elysium has flat bass, elevated mids and rather flat highs, which give it the midrange much more attention than what it gets in the Thumimm

Joseph over at MMR has been able to create a monitor with not only my favourite bass, but also what might just be the best treble I’ve heard to date. It balances sparkle and speed really well, making both EDM and live performances/rock/metal extremely pleasant to listen to

The good news don’t end with the tonality however, as the Thumimm is very technical. The staging is nothing short of incredible, being both wide and holographic. The only other IEMs that have been able to impress me as much are the 64 Fourte and A18S. It is also very detailed, with excellent separation - the A18S still retrieves a bit more detail than the Thumimm, but let’s face it, the A18S is in a league of its own where detail is concerned

Full review with packaging, cable and all the cool tech in the Thumimm coming soon!

Wow, those are some HIGHLY appealing impressions.. DD bass, tuned properly? best mids outside the Elysium?
How much does this IEM cost, and where are the company based? You have my attention :joy:

On a side note, are they using Eletech cables as standard, as EE do with EA?
And if so, is that actually a Plato included free with the IEMs? :hushed:
[EDIT]: just saw another post stating that the Plato was an add-on. Was it full price, or at a discount when bundled?
And what would the stock cable be normally?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back