flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 17, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #22,442 of 39,414
Odin is suppose to be under the eye watering Wraith price tag. If the estats can be handled like on the Valk, it would be interesting to see how the W9s go as well. Alas lockdown measures mean no demoing. Don't even know when I'll be able to demo a Sultan.
So perhaps the Odin will be a morph of the Valk and LX? I personally love the combo of the estat and W9 on the Valk (very different sound sig vs the LX).
I am hoping to get a Sultan demo in the next couple of weeks...

May 17, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #22,443 of 39,414
May 17, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #22,444 of 39,414
May 17, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #22,445 of 39,414
May 17, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #22,446 of 39,414
It's a torture being under a gag order...
*Raised eyebrows* be nice to have telepathy just to to know this

So perhaps the Odin will be a morph of the Valk and LX? I personally love the combo of the estat and W9 on the Valk (very different sound sig vs the LX).
That's my guess. The Valk feels like a teaser for the X Series flagship when it was announced. Given the pricing and setup and we were all going, new X series flagship when Jack?. The estat was of the Valk probably by far the best and most impressive that I've heard in the sea of the estat flagships being pushed out. Admittedly it impressed way more than the 4 estats in the Wraith. As for a Sultan demo? Lucky, I know my dealer is getting them, but we relegated to no demos with current measures and state of emergency in my province is mid-June.....Lemme know what you think of it, settled with u12t but testing stuff here and there is fun still.

May 17, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #22,447 of 39,414
Presumably he knows the date but is bound by some oath not to disclose it.
Yep, I figured that...my "???" was more meant in the line of, "what do you know please please tell us" and less in the line of "what do you mean you're under a gag order?"

May 17, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #22,448 of 39,414
The estat on the valk has been my only exposure to estats so far. I thought treble was nice, very detailed, but also kind of sharp, and the overall signature was a bit too V shaped for me. Also comparing the treble on the valkyrie to some of the others I have (z1r with dd treble, 64 trio and now solaris 2020 with ba), I dont feel like BA's or DD's are really lacking anything comparatively. So, I do still find myself wondering if the estats are truly bringing anything unique to the table that a well implemented dd or ba cant, or if they are just yet another thing driving up prices.

Either way, guess we will find out more about that odin soon enough. Still not buying it, but always interested to see what new things are coming out.

May 17, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #22,449 of 39,414
Yep, I figured that...my "???" was more meant in the line of, "what do you know please please tell us" and less in the line of "what do you mean you're under a gag order?"

I actually had a chance to audition it for a few days, Jack/Dean sent it to me right before CanJam NYC because they were not attending the show and wanted to hear some feedback. The tuning was impressive, not sure if it was absolute final since Dean likes to tweak it until the last second, and the gag order because I'm not allowed to reveal the driver config until it is officially announced. Thus, it's a torture reading the guesses without being able to chime in :wink:

May 18, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #22,454 of 39,414
I don’t have my custom Legend X anymore but when I did have them I had no complaints :)
Very cool, thanks for sharing. None of the EE line-up catches my eye at the moment, but I'll be keeping an eye out on the new one being released.

May 18, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #22,455 of 39,414
He won't tell. He is always annoyingly discreet. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back