flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 12, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #22,366 of 39,414
Seasoning is the cure to tighten up the Legend X. It is technically a superstar. Also, Mark at our age it is quite a chore to tighten up that loose bottom end...maybe squats?
Seasoning is the cure to tighten up the Legend X. It is technically a superstar. Also, Mark at our age it is quite a chore to tighten up that loose bottom end...maybe squats?
I am seasoning. Tightening up less so. Shriveling yes!

May 12, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #22,367 of 39,414
The LX and Khan both sound great with that song but each IEM focuses so differently on different instruments in the song. I get to discover the song in different ways.

Cheers to the Legend X...I feel that same way wrt my Solaris...both it and the Legend allow me to enjoy different recordings in different ways...there's a lot to be said for a nice complementary pair of IEMs.

May 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #22,368 of 39,414
Mark, you madman! You got a Legend X? I didn't know you were such a wild one lol. How are you liking it? Mostly thanks to @Rockwell75 I have one on the way. Do you still have teh trio?

When are you expecting it? Can't wait to hear your impressions!

May 12, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #22,369 of 39,414
Yes, OPA1622. I saw that MusicTeck has some more specs on their website (link).

Cute lil device. I was really hoping for dual 4499s and a tube output stage. In a tiny form factor and $165 of course :)

Hey maybe in five years, that won’t be so far fetched!

May 12, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #22,370 of 39,414
Cute lil device. I was really hoping for dual 4499s and a tube output stage. In a tiny form factor and $165 of course :)

Hey maybe in five years, that won’t be so far fetched!
Yeah, thoroughly disappointed about the lack of a tube amp in there and the latest desktop class DAC chip... :sweat_smile:

May 12, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #22,371 of 39,414
Has anyone taken the plunge on a uni Elysium yet? I would love to read some impressions of that. Also, for people purchasing VE stuff outside of Europe does that tax get taken off?

May 12, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #22,372 of 39,414
Has anyone taken the plunge on a uni Elysium yet? I would love to read some impressions of that. Also, for people purchasing VE stuff outside of Europe does that tax get taken off?

I ordered mine today, so hopefully I’ll have it within a week or two once they finally start shipping out. It’s the same as the demo from Barra’s tour, so any of those impressions you read there should be the same for the universal elysium that’s for sale.

Yes, if you’re outside of the EU they take 19% off the site listed MSRP, but you are responsible for any import fees. DHL charged me about $41 to get my Erlkonig delivered.

May 12, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #22,373 of 39,414
I ordered mine today, so hopefully I’ll have it within a week or two once they finally start shipping out. It’s the same as the demo from Barra’s tour, so any of those impressions you read there should be the same for the universal elysium that’s for sale.

Yes, if you’re outside of the EU they take 19% off the site listed MSRP, but you are responsible for any import fees. DHL charged me about $41 to get my Erlkonig delivered.

$41 is small potatoes next to the 400 Euro that gets knocked off the 2500 Euro price when that tax is taken away. Looking forward to your impressions of it.

May 12, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #22,375 of 39,414
browse the tour thread, plenty of impressions on there

I'm familiar with others' impressions...I'm curious to hear what you think of the uni you receive relative to the uni demo you heard earlier.

May 12, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #22,377 of 39,414
I had posted my impressions there too. Not sure there will be any difference as it’s the same as the demo.

That's what I heard as well.

Btw, all the impressions praising Ely for its mids are absolutely true. It's very impressive how coherent the combo of BA lows, DD mids, and EST treble sounds. Only have about 20hrs of burn in, and already great. I was worried some were mentioning treble sibilance. The treble does sound vivid, but not sibilant to my ears. And once I started playing with eartips and settled on Symbio F (foamies), the fit is like I have CIEM in my ears and the treble is less intense. I also switched to Leo II octa for now.

ve-elysium-x01.jpg

May 12, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #22,378 of 39,414
That's what I heard as well.

Btw, all the impressions praising Ely for its mids are absolutely true. It's very impressive how coherent the combo of BA lows, DD mids, and EST treble sounds. Only have about 20hrs of burn in, and already great. I was worried some were mentioning treble sibilance. The treble does sound vivid, but not sibilant to my ears. And once I started playing with eartips and settled on Symbio F (foamies), the fit is like I have CIEM in my ears and the treble is less intense. I also switched to Leo II octa for now.

ve-elysium-x01.jpg

I am beyond excited to receive mine, it’ll be a nice time passer until the LE Erlkonig arrives too :p Yeah man, those mids are to die for. The general tuning of the Elysium doesn’t play that well with the EDM type I listen to (heavy bass lines usually involved) but the passages that sound good on the Elysium sound damn good, makes it an IEM I need in my collection for when the time calls for it.

May 13, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #22,379 of 39,414
Just received the Lotoo PAW S1! Whoop whoop! :)

It's solidly built and easy to use. You just use the 'Fn' button to scroll through and select from a range of settings, including rock, pop, classical, Movie, Game and Headphone.
All quite different from each other.
Am having fun watching a bit of The Expanse in 'Movie' mode on the S1. The 'DAH DAH DAH' kind of bass rumbles at the start of the episode sent a shiver down my spine, and the voiceover sounds like it's standing behind me and talking right into my ear :)

May 13, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #22,380 of 39,414
Just received the Lotoo PAW S1! Whoop whoop! :)

It's solidly built and easy to use. You just use the 'Fn' button to scroll through and select from a range of settings, including rock, pop, classical, Movie, Game and Headphone.
All quite different from each other.
Am having fun watching a bit of The Expanse in 'Movie' mode on the S1. The 'DAH DAH DAH' kind of bass rumbles at the start of the episode sent a shiver down my spine, and the voiceover sounds like it's standing behind me and talking right into my ear :)
Honestly, it sounds strange to be excited about a dongle, but I look forward to hearing it and I do not have any 4.4mm, except cables that can swap plugs, ie. Luna. Question for you, how is the sound coming from the unbalanced 3.5mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back