flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,221 of 39,414
Here's to the top eight and the rest of the shootout! I'm hoping W900 finishes first so I get bragging rights. :ksc75smile:

Even as an owner (and lowkey fanboy) I'll concede that at least the Zeus and A18 would edge it in technicalities.

The bass and syrup-y note texture though... all a class of its own.

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2,222 of 39,414
Even as an owner (and lowkey fanboy) I'll concede that at least the Zeus and A18 would edge it in technicalities.

The bass and syrup-y note texture though... all a class of its own.

Haha, some wishful thinking from me. I do think DD bass is still in a class of its own, that's why I bought the W900 rather than another multi-BA.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #2,223 of 39,414
The above posts are why I always heavily encourage people to read entire reviews instead of being fixated on the score placed on the very bottom.

Like @gearofwar said, technicality has a heavier say on the final average simply because it's divided into multiple sub-categories (i.e. Bass, mids, treble, soundstage, transparency, imaging, etc.), while tonality stands on its own. This is why it is imperative that the reader fully consumes the entirety of the review and bases their purchase on both the technical performance of the IEM as well as the sound signature (to determine whether or not they'd lose enjoyability in favor of better technicalities, or vice versa).

After all, every IEM in this shootout is on near-equal footing in one way or another, and they are all considered premium in price, so everyone who picks their poison based on the results/reviews of this shootout, owes it to themselves to fully comprehend what they're getting as best they can. Otherwise, they're likely gonna end up disappointed, and have no one but themselves to blame.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #2,224 of 39,414
It's kinda like picking a perfume. No matter the popularity, or testimonies of a particular smell, in the end your taste and preference will determine which you like the most. The perceived combination of the base, middle, and high notes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_(perfumery)); the emotion/impression that a particular perfume may evoke, the complexity/simplicity of its constituent ingredients, duration, presence, etc. Just like IEM, there is no perfect perfume. The character of a sound/smell favoured by each person varies. And that variation is simply too many, and too complex to be rightly determined by consensus as to which specifically is the best. You have to try and decide for yourself and no other. Fortunately through reviews, we can get a glimpse or clue IMO. In a way, like reading a letter of recommendation :D

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #2,225 of 39,414
It's kinda like picking a perfume. No matter the popularity, or testimonies of a particular smell, in the end your taste and preference will determine which you like the most. The perceived combination of the base, middle, and high notes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_(perfumery)); the emotion/impression that a particular perfume may evoke, the complexity/simplicity of its constituent ingredients, duration, presence, etc. Just like IEM, there is no perfect perfume. The character of a sound/smell favoured by each person varies. And that variation is simply too many, and too complex to be rightly determined by consensus as to which specifically is the best. You have to try and decide for yourself and no other. For example in my case, I like the Aether more than many other IEMs in this shootout, all of which I. Fortunately through reviews, we can get a glimpse or clue IMO. In a way, like reading a letter of recommendation :D
Now we know what your other hobby is. Do you walk around like this to protect your sense of smell?
succeed2b.jpg

(I wish I could find a video of this scene from the Avengers Series 4 "How to succeed... at murder", it would fit brilliantly here.)

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #2,226 of 39,414
Now we know what your other hobby is. Do you walk around like this to protect your sense of smell?

(I wish I could find a video of this scene from the Avengers Series 4 "How to succeed... at murder", it would fit brilliantly here.)

No, I walk around like this

NnU5bqF.jpg

Disclaimer: I do not own this picture; and no, this is not a picture of me. All rights reserved.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #2,227 of 39,414
I remember reading a guy even noticed changes up to the 900-hour mark. That's hardcore. But really, if anyone can compare Dream to RE2k it'd be great.
I sat down and gave some more thought I am closer to 400 - 450 hours.

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,229 of 39,414
friday-funny-dog.jpg

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,233 of 39,414
warbler is top-6 ?

wow.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,235 of 39,414
well there goes my second last champion
not that i vote in the vote thread, but the last time i had a time with samba i really comes to love it
and not to mention warbler still standing somewhere up there make me more and more intrigued to that one driver wonder
zeus still going strong though :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back