flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 9, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #22,306 of 39,414
VE also announced that this will be an ongoing annual project, where they come up with a new driver configuration and tuning for something unique each year.

So the date is also relevant.

So a planned obsolescence like iPhones or other tech products? I can't tell if that is appealing or discouraging. At least with computers and TVs, etc, you know there is objective progress in performance or features year over year but not sure the same can be said about an IEM w/ rearranged drivers.

May 9, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #22,307 of 39,414
So a planned obsolescence like iPhones or other tech products? I can't tell if that is appealing or discouraging. At least with computers and TVs, etc, you know there is objective progress in performance or features year over year but not sure the same can be said about an IEM w/ rearranged drivers.
Next year’s EVE won’t be an upgrade on this EVE. It will be an entirely new and different IEM that has nothing to do with their current one

May 9, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #22,308 of 39,414
Next year’s EVE won’t be an upgrade on this EVE. It will be an entirely new and different IEM that has nothing to do with their current one

That may be the case but I bet when EVE21 comes out, demand and resale for a EVE20 will naturally plummet. Newer is always perceived as better. When you purchase an IEM, isn't there a comfort in knowing it'll be relevant for more than 1 year? Maybe it's just me.

May 9, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #22,309 of 39,414
That may be the case but I bet when EVE21 comes out, demand and resale for a EVE20 will naturally plummet. Newer is always perceived as better. When you purchase an IEM, isn't there a comfort in knowing it'll be relevant for more than 1 year? Maybe it's just me.
The EVE20 won’t be available in 2021 - each one is a limited edition that’s, well, limited to the year it’s produced in

Some limited editions are really valuable to this day (say the Andro S or Andro gold which keep their value extremely well on the second hand market), others suck and you can get back 40-50% on them if that. If a monitor is desired, it’ll probably keep its value. If it ain’t, it probably won’t

May 9, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #22,310 of 39,414
The EVE20 won’t be available in 2021 - each one is a limited edition that’s, well, limited to the year it’s produced in

Some limited editions are really valuable to this day (say the Andro S or Andro gold which keep their value extremely well on the second hand market), others suck and you can get back 40-50% on them if that. If a monitor is desired, it’ll probably keep its value. If it ain’t, it probably won’t

I suppose we shall see how it plays out in a year or two. :)

May 9, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #22,311 of 39,414

A higher driver count and MSRP are also typically perceived as better, so what'll happen if VE decide to make the EVE 21 a budget, dual-driver monitor? :wink:

May 9, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #22,312 of 39,414

What does relevant have to do with your enjoyment and fullfilment ? Just be smart and buy something that fits your taste/preferences and that you will love for a long period of time

i have been put last 3.5 years , both ciem-wise (EE Zeus XR) and DAP-wise (Sony WM1A) and i feel extra good with my choices.

Are there 'better' stuff out there ? Of course.
Do i need to pay (almost) an arm and a leg to get them ? You betcha.
Do i have the upgraditis virus ? Nope.
Am i a happy camper ? 101%.

:xf_cool:

May 9, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #22,313 of 39,414
May 10, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #22,315 of 39,414
@ayang02 any more S1 impressions? Use the EQ options yet? And any chance you used with an Android phone?

The S1 is one of those dongles that doesn’t generate much (if any) heat even after extended use (>2 hours straight). I also don’t notice any extra battery drain caused by the S1. I’ve been using various IEMs with them, mostly on 4.4mm out and have not tested any hard-to-drive headphones yet. So far, the sound I get out of this device is pretty great: details, soundstage, and vocal performance all exceed my expectations out of this little device. I’m seriously considering selling some of my portable DAC/amps.

I use the “Headphone” EQ option quite a bit actually, might soon become my default setting.

Sorry, I’m currently using an iPhone. By the way, the S1 comes with a type c to type c OTG cable so if you’re using an Android phone, you don’t need an extra lightning to type c cable like I do 😉

May 11, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #22,316 of 39,414
The S1 is one of those dongles that doesn’t generate much (if any) heat even after extended use (>2 hours straight). I also don’t notice any extra battery drain caused by the S1. I’ve been using various IEMs with them, mostly on 4.4mm out and have not tested any hard-to-drive headphones yet. So far, the sound I get out of this device is pretty great: details, soundstage, and vocal performance all exceed my expectations out of this little device. I’m seriously considering selling some of my portable DAC/amps.

I use the “Headphone” EQ option quite a bit actually, might soon become my default setting.

Sorry, I’m currently using an iPhone. By the way, the S1 comes with a type c to type c OTG cable so if you’re using an Android phone, you don’t need an extra lightning to type c cable like I do 😉
So it doesn’t need the cck?

May 11, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #22,317 of 39,414
So it doesn’t need the cck?

Not if you can find a lightning to type C cable that supports OTG functionality. Lotoo sells one that works with S1 and I also have another one from Zephone that works.

2113924F-6D07-4F50-B3FE-EDE6F1BF12DF.jpeg

For cables like this, I actually prefer it to be stiff as the S1 will not move as much hanging in the air while I use my phone.

May 11, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #22,319 of 39,414
@ayang02 where can you buy one of those lotoo cables? Just preordered the S1 and didn’t see it on musicteck’s site.

I thought Musictek gave those out for free to the first 50 orders or something. You should probably ask them about it because I also didn’t see this particular cable online, my local distributor just happen to have that cable in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back