flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 19, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #21,781 of 39,414
I’ve had a very similar evolution in my tastes and preferences, but I’d say it’s more of a result of my genre of the month obsession

when I had my acoustic wave I was knees deep in the elysium, I’m now on rap and EDM and hence the Z1R. Ultimately though, it’s very few IEMs that I enjoy as a whole and not for a specific album, so I’m mostly focusing on getting my hands on those haha

and I still remember that period when you weren’t a fan of Z1R at all :)

Mar 19, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #21,782 of 39,414
Just recieved my loaner unit of AAW Canary. I'll be sure to post impressions and comparisons on here. It's my first experience with estat drivers so I'm excited to put them on.

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #21,783 of 39,414
@Rockwell75 that was one of the best posts I’ve seen on Head-Fi. Thank you for your contributions! I own the Legend X and recently the Solaris SE and concur on your thoughts! The SE really surprised me, I was expecting somewhat boring sound with lean bass. They are lively, engaging, and potentially the best “all rounder” I’ve ever heard. Enjoying them immensely.

-Collin-

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #21,784 of 39,414
@Rockwell75 that was one of the best posts I’ve seen on Head-Fi. Thank you for your contributions! I own the Legend X and recently the Solaris SE and concur on your thoughts! The SE really surprised me, I was expecting somewhat boring sound with lean bass. They are lively, engaging, and potentially the best “all rounder” I’ve ever heard. Enjoying them immensely.

-Collin-

Thanks for the kind words man...the Head Fi community has been super helpful to me throughout my time in this hobby...feels good to be able to contribute in a small way.

Glad you're enjoying Solaris SE! Even with such luminaries as the VE8, Legend X and u12t around I still found myself reaching for it a fair bit...it is definitely one of the best "all rounders".

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #21,785 of 39,414
@Rockwell75 that was one of the best posts I’ve seen on Head-Fi. Thank you for your contributions!

Definitely a great post, @Rockwell75...nice job! Your overall tone and honesty are refreshing.

Sometimes lost amongst all the noisy contention and jockeying for acknowledgement about who has the best gear, is the simple fact that we're all just a bunch of humans who appreciate good sound...and we're all on a journey together to find it.

Thanks for reminding us of that.

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #21,786 of 39,414
We're all just a bunch of humans who appreciate good sound...and we're all on a journey together to find it.

For sure man-- one's portable audio journey is simultaneously very personal but also fundamentally community driven.

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #21,787 of 39,414

-Collin-
I'm still confused when so many people say "how differently" Solaris SE sounds comparing to the originals (I used to own them). I just can't get over the fact that "high-density ceramic finish of acoustical chamber" and "color" could influence the sound to any noticeable level. Strange audio engineering world.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #21,788 of 39,414
I'm still confused when so many people say "how differently" Solaris SE sounds comparing to the originals (I used to own them). I just can't get over the fact that "high-density ceramic finish of acoustical chamber" and "color" could influence the sound to any noticeable level. Strange audio engineering world.

Sadly I never heard the original, but enjoy the SE a lot. I can’t imagine they’re miles apart, but who knows :)

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #21,789 of 39,414

The color more than likely has nothing to do with it, but that acoustic chamber most definitely does. If tip swaps (also acoustic in nature) can change sound drastically, a change in the in-ear’s entire acoustic chamber will surely change lots.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #21,790 of 39,414
The color more than likely has nothing to do with it, but that acoustic chamber most definitely does. If tip swaps (also acoustic in nature) can change sound drastically, a change in the in-ear’s entire acoustic chamber will surely change lots.

I've heard they used a different mids driver in the SE as well. Whatever they did definitely made some subtle but clear improvements to the sound (speaking as someone who's had 100s of hours on each Solaris).

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #21,791 of 39,414
Mentioning the color was sort of a joke :) I've figured that the reason are slightly redesigned chambers, it's just hard for me to accept the fact. Good point with the ear-tips, they do make a lot. Usually, the first thing I do with every new IEMs is tip rolling :)

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #21,792 of 39,414
and I still remember that period when you weren’t a fan of Z1R at all :)
Not only was I not a fan, I genuinely thought it’s one of the most overhyped things out there

Once again makes the case for, buy a better source first, explore the IEM market after that. The AK SR15 does an awesome job with a lot of easier to drive stuff but it just couldn’t get the Z1R’s tweeter going

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #21,793 of 39,414
Luna was interesting... i really appreciated what it does but its subtlety kinda was lost on me after an hour with the U12t and Z1R each. Fit and comfort however were much better than either

Its presentation is a little more ethereal and relaxed (yet beautifully layered and informative) than my own preferences... as my friend said, “it sounds expensive”.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #21,794 of 39,414
A bit late on the N8 impressions but here we go!

The one I purchased was a universal demo unit, so as usual expect variation between what I've experienced and a potentially custom unit that you purchase yourself

The N8 generally strikes me as what might just be the best basshead all-rounder of everything I've tried. It has that typical 64 tia treble extension that the drivers have become famous for, with a very prominent and present midrange, and heavy bass. I can't say that this isn't a basshead IEM, but the bass is fast enough to not call as much attention to itself as the Legend X for example, where the texture and decay are just begging you to listen to them. No BA configuration can pull of the N8's lows, but there are certain common characteristics in that the N8's bass has detail, control and speed typical for a BA, but the slam and decay that only a DD can really perform

My first impulse was to go with my rap and EDM playlists, but I'd actually say the N8 finds a better home in jazz and other more heavily acoustic genres, where the midrange timbre and treble presence can really shine. Honestly as far as the mids are concerned, I think I'd still take it over loads of other things I've owned, including the A18t which sounds a bit thinner in comparison.

As to the treble, it doesn't reach the detail of the A18t, or the Z1R's crazy performance but it gets the extension right. I personally find that the quantity of the highs is slightly excessive though, as it makes all the frequencies feel somewhat boosted, reminiscent of the FiR M5. The midrange still outperforms that of the M5 though, with comparable bass - though it might be slightly more in quantity. All in all I'd pick the N8 over the M5 either way due to its far superior midrange texture.

I reached out to Vitaliy regarding differences I might be expecting if I were to get a custom N8 and he did mention I might be getting slightly less treble on the custom, which would be a welcome improvement on the overall signature of the monitor. Personally though, I doubt I'd be keeping it for too long considering the Z1R tends to outperform the N8 in most aspects, and the added bass quantity in the N8 isn't something I'd absolutely need - though I am enjoying that quite a bit for the time being

As to technicalities, I'd say it's reasonable. It's not the most detailed monitor on the market, but it certainly isn't the worst either. Add to that the amazing texture that it brings to the table and rather good resolution and you actually end up with a pretty great overall package. I'm personally not a fan of the "boost all frequencies" signature, but if it is true that the custom brings down the treble a notch that's that issue resolved.

As to the comparison everyone is wondering about, I'd say I like the N8 better than I like the Legend X - the latter consumes too much detail due to its bass quantity and presence, and the lows generally tend to steal a bit too much attention for my liking. I also find the treble to be way too little there (while the N8 universal does have a bit too much) - maybe something between the two would be best for me. Also considering the price difference and APEX pressure vent I personally couldn't recommend the LX over the N8

Might be posting the demo unit for sale soon, so as usual, if you gots an offer, hit me up! :)

IMG_4628.jpg

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #21,795 of 39,414
Luna was interesting... i really appreciated what it does but its subtlety kinda was lost on me after an hour with the U12t and Z1R each. Fit and comfort however were much better than either

Its presentation is a little more ethereal and relaxed (yet beautifully layered and informative) than my own preferences... as my friend said, “it sounds expensive”.
It is an uncolored sound to my ears. Highly adjustable with the sound character of your source. Personally I think the Luna + N6ii E01 has this amazing vocals. You get to hear the extra details from Luna with the warmth of E01. The vocals were presented with a high clarity and at the same time very warm and smooth. It has a reference tuning; the high resolution and treble extension of the Luna makes a great pairing with the more natural and organic sounding DAPs.

I had no problem with the fit as well. The best tip I found was the Sedna Short Light.

IMG-20200317-122334.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back