flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 8, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #21,556 of 39,414
common situation where you put on your iems and are immediately called to do something so you have to take off your iems GODDAMMIT JERRY WHAT IS IT
Hate that about my job. I can be left alone for most of the day (perfect for c/iems) or I can have 3 people in half an hour or so (or whatever) and get's bloody irritating.

Anyway just about managed to shift this cough cold thing I've had for the past fortnight (NOT Coronavirus thankfully), but it's taken antibiotics to do it which left me feeling knocked out. Thanks to the cold it screwed with my hearing, about a fortnight after having my ears done for wax. Couldn't believe it. Was more pissed about that then being off work!

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #21,558 of 39,414
I bit the bullet and blind purchased the DUNU Luna. Sucker for single drivers. Not enough impressions out there so hopefully I can help shed some light on this. I am kinda curious of the differences in how the beryllium is utilized in the Luna vs. the dome in the Focal Stellia.
Looking forward to your thoughts. Tks.

Mar 8, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #21,559 of 39,414
I bit the bullet and blind purchased the DUNU Luna. Sucker for single drivers. Not enough impressions out there so hopefully I can help shed some light on this. I am kinda curious of the differences in how the beryllium is utilized in the Luna vs. the dome in the Focal Stellia.

I am in the process of getting some impressions out and the review will be there in two weeks tops since I have to send it back....
Check the Luna thread :)

There was a bit about Stellia in my first post, Luna shares some qualities but with a more natural presentation :)

I am surprised the question didn't pop up earlier, yes I didn't describe the FR but rather the unique qualities about the Luna's way to present sound and there is some logic to that because Luna really sounds different than anything else. This is going to be an interesting and challenging review because it really sets off your baseline somewhat because of how differently the sound is presented.

I would compare this to auditioning the KSE1500 the first time when I had no frame of reference of (real) electrostatic drivers. In the case of the KSE1500 the transient speed really spun me into another dimension of sound with a radically different presentation than anything else I had heard. A very ethereal quality, so to speak for the KSE where the Luna has a "real" quality. I won't call it live like marketing sometimes does, but it's a sense of being there with the IEM not adding anything than the live sound would not provide (except for an insane level of detail you can only get with a deeper insertion). I do believe this has to do with the absolute accuracy of the timbre, the richness of the textures, the phenomenal resolution and the surprising transient speed all combined.

Yes Luna might be a dynamic driver and it shows, but to me it's a huge step forward, almost like another driver technology altogether. I didn't get that feeling from the Utopia honestly, a bit more from the Stellia but there was still something a bit overdone on the tuning that is not at all the case with the Luna that is to me the epitome of natural with the caveat that it's closer to ideal live conditions that you never get in real life and details are so much easier to pick out.

It's a real breakthrough IMHO and I can certainly get why it's such a challenge to manufacture.

Luna is definitely the opposite of laid back, it's intense and vivid as I have said. It commands your attention at all times!

Mar 9, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #21,560 of 39,414
Agreed, the Balmung was my clear favourite as well; loved the thick, meaty, coloured sound.

+1 on Balmung but I was only able to audition them properly with custom silicon tips, universal tips = no seal.
The fit is the oddest I have experienced ever... very very shallow fit this might explain the different impressions.

Mar 9, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #21,561 of 39,414
If anyone is interested on my briefer-than-normal review of the Hyla Sarda, I just posted it:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hyla-sarda.24243/reviews

The IEM arrived one day prior to my daughter being born, so I brought them with me to the hospital and have listened to them at very odd hours ever since, given the sleep schedule going out the window :)

-Collin-

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #21,562 of 39,414
If anyone is interested on my briefer-than-normal review of the Hyla Sarda, I just posted it:

The IEM arrived one day prior to my daughter being born, so I brought them with me to the hospital and have listened to them at very odd hours ever since, given the sleep schedule going out the window :)

-Collin-
For such a sleep deprived guy, it is a super engaging read! I enjoy my "warm W" signature Sarda very much and I think you capsulized it EXTREMELY well!

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #21,563 of 39,414

-Collin-
Need to read review, but dinner is on....
Must read review, but dinner is burning...
"Honey... Want to order some pizza tonight?"
:D

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #21,564 of 39,414
Need to read review, but dinner is on....
Must read review, but dinner is burning...
"Honey... Want to order some pizza tonight?"
:D

Go eat dinner! I'll be done with the Plato review by the time you finish.

Kidding, but I am listening to it now. Perks of a nocturnal baby in the house.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #21,565 of 39,414
Okayy so now that I've finally fixed my Head-Fi notifications I have decided to do another keep or sell list, only that the keep part has grown much much smaller since I last posted :D I own a lot of the stuff that didn't make it in the keep tab, but over time they'll be getting either repurposed or sold/traded, so don't mind them being in my signature

To begin with, the K E E P :

1. Vision Ears Elysium
- I've not really been giving the Elysium that much listening time since I got the Z1R, but I adore my sessions with it nonetheless. I don't think it's something I could not own, and as far as flatter sound signatures go, the Ely really has no match in my books. The midrange texture as well as sheer technical prowess make this an IEM that I couldn't really get bored of, regardless of how long I spend with it

IMG_2426.jpg

2. Sony IER Z1R
- Despite my initially poor experience with it, I've been absolutely loving them for over a month now - the reason why these have kept my attention is how overwhelmingly technical they are, the DD texture that extends across the entire FR and the extremely slow bass and treble decays that make for an extremely soothing and satisfying experience. They make the absolute perfect counterpart to the Elysium Imo, offering a somewhat opposite sound signature, but retaining all the things that make the Elysium the IEM that it is.

IMG_9971.jpg IMG_4537.jpg

Something else that dazzles me about the Z1R is the fact that it manages to pull of a recessed midrange that is extremely satisfying and doesn't feel like a compromise on any level whatsoever

3. Eletech Iliad
- What a ****ing great cable. I posted in Eletech's thread today, and this alone is the reason why I've slowly traded in all my higher end cables and will possibly be selling more of them in the weeks to come. The sound improvement it provides is quite special and matched only at the highest levels, but apart from that the design and build quality/ergonomics are unsurpassed at any price point. Loved it so much I had to order a second one for my Z1R's MMCX

IMG_9651.jpg

4. Sony's WM1Z - absolutely loving the texture and treble boost that the DAP provides despite the slightly overwhelming warmth at times. Also can't get over the battery life and the fact that I don't have to charge it considering I buy new music more often than it runs out of battery. Oddly enough its weight hasn't been an issue for me thus far, having taken it just about anywhere

Well, that pretty much concludes the stuff I'm definitely going to be keeping in the months to come, here are the stuff that have gone or will be going:

1. Noble Katana - Loved it while I had it but the Elysium is literally a flat out better Katana in every single way. Made no sense to keep
IMG_1558.jpg

2. Eletech Plato - while nobody else has had this complaint, I was put off by its stiffness - it has a very distinct sound, but not one that plays well with my already quite mid-centric collection. Might be a good match for the Z1R though, would like to try that out eventually.

3. 64's A18t - I am currently demoing as many 64 IEMs as I possibly can in order to find a custom that I enjoy enough to get. While I appreciate the A18t enormously for the sheer level of technical performance and just how amazing of an all-rounder it is, I find that what I need it to do, the Elysium already does for me but better. I do enjoy owning it I suppose, but not enough to really justify keeping the money that were invested in it and not making some of that cash back to put into a 64 IEM I listen to regularly enough. Anyone with a purchase offer hit me up, given my ear canal shape you can use these as universals by simply placing tips on them
IMG_9651.jpg

4. 64's Fourte Noir - good IEM but I'd take the treble of the original Fourte over the Noir any day. The regular Fourte hasn't been included in the list just yet because I'm not 100% about keeping or selling it despite the fact that I quite enjoy it (if I go down the A18s route I might have to sell it though) - either way, traded my Noir for a Fourte and a Khan which was a brilliant deal

IMG_4294.jpg

5. Acoustune 1695ti - Had a proper love affair with these, and they do provide an extremely gentle and balanced listening experience, but for whatever reason I am simply not absolutely loving my time with them, and they don't get enough playtime to really justify keeping either - will probably be posting them for sale soon, hit me up if you have an offer once again :)

IMG_4107.jpg

6. ItsFit Fusion - Good IEM, but the midrange just doesn't do it for me. Considering the rest of the stuff in my collection it made no sense to keep - they were extremely comfortable though and quite awesome for gaming. Sold a while ago and happy I did. The Satin Athena in the picture has been gifted to another Head-Fi member already, really disliked the hardware on that :)
IMG_5469.jpg

7. Plunge Audio Unity 5ES - I consider this a bit of a failed experiment - I finally had an IEM made exactly to spec, but it did not turn out as expected. It is very technical however, and if you get the chance, do try the stock version out - with proper tuning this could be one hell of a beast
IMG_2361.jpg IMG_4584.jpg

8. EA Bespoke Leo/Cleo and Cleo Octa - both of these are awesome cables, but the existence of the Iliad doesn't justify keeping them. It's just too far ahead.

Lastly, as to the F U T U R E :

Hard to tell for now I guess. Definitely waiting on seeing what the second Iliad does with my Z1R, and I am also waiting on some pieces from Toxic Cables to try with some of my IEMs.

Mostly though, I'm searching for my match within the 64 custom line. Have a N8 universal coming my way soon (a friend was liquidating a store and sold me a demo), so once I try that out, I will probably be deciding between a potential N8, or the A18s. So far I've heard pretty awesome things about the latter, I guess time will tell if that will be the one from the 64 that manages to earn it's rightful spot in my personal top 3 favourites

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #21,566 of 39,414
Okayy so now that I've finally fixed my Head-Fi notifications I have decided to do another keep or sell list, only that the keep part has grown much much smaller since I last posted :D I own a lot of the stuff that didn't make it in the keep tab, but over time they'll be getting either repurposed or sold/traded, so don't mind them being in my signature

1. Vision Ears Elysium
- I've not really been giving the Elysium that much listening time since I got the Z1R, but I adore my sessions with it nonetheless. I don't think it's something I could not own, and as far as flatter sound signatures go, the Ely really has no match in my books. The midrange texture as well as sheer technical prowess make this an IEM that I couldn't really get bored of, regardless of how long I spend with it

IMG_2426.jpg

2. Sony IER Z1R
- Despite my initially poor experience with it, I've been absolutely loving them for over a month now - the reason why these have kept my attention is how overwhelmingly technical they are, the DD texture that extends across the entire FR and the extremely slow bass and treble decays that make for an extremely soothing and satisfying experience. They make the absolute perfect counterpart to the Elysium Imo, offering a somewhat opposite sound signature, but retaining all the things that make the Elysium the IEM that it is.

Something else that dazzles me about the Z1R is the fact that it manages to pull of a recessed midrange that is extremely satisfying and doesn't feel like a compromise on any level whatsoever

3. Eletech Iliad
- What a ****ing great cable. I posted in Eletech's thread today, and this alone is the reason why I've slowly traded in all my higher end cables and will possibly be selling more of them in the weeks to come. The sound improvement it provides is quite special and matched only at the highest levels, but apart from that the design and build quality/ergonomics are unsurpassed at any price point. Loved it so much I had to order a second one for my Z1R's MMCX

IMG_9651.jpg

4. Sony's WM1Z - absolutely loving the texture and treble boost that the DAP provides despite the slightly overwhelming warmth at times. Also can't get over the battery life and the fact that I don't have to charge it considering I buy new music more often than it runs out of battery. Oddly enough its weight hasn't been an issue for me thus far, having taken it just about anywhere

Well, that pretty much concludes the stuff I'm definitely going to be keeping in the months to come, here are the stuff that have gone or will be going:

1. Noble Katana - Loved it while I had it but the Elysium is literally a flat out better Katana in every single way. Made no sense to keep
IMG_1558.jpg

2. Eletech Plato - while nobody else has had this complaint, I was put off by its stiffness - it has a very distinct sound, but not one that plays well with my already quite mid-centric collection. Might be a good match for the Z1R though, would like to try that out eventually.

3. 64's A18t - I am currently demoing as many 64 IEMs as I possibly can in order to find a custom that I enjoy enough to get. While I appreciate the A18t enormously for the sheer level of technical performance and just how amazing of an all-rounder it is, I find that what I need it to do, the Elysium already does for me but better. I do enjoy owning it I suppose, but not enough to really justify keeping the money that were invested in it and not making some of that cash back to put into a 64 IEM I listen to regularly enough. Anyone with a purchase offer hit me up, given my ear canal shape you can use these as universals by simply placing tips on them
IMG_9651.jpg

4. 64's Fourte Noir - good IEM but I'd take the treble of the original Fourte over the Noir any day. The regular Fourte hasn't been included in the list just yet because I'm not 100% about keeping or selling it despite the fact that I quite enjoy it (if I go down the A18s route I might have to sell it though) - either way, traded my Noir for a Fourte and a Khan which was a brilliant deal

IMG_4294.jpg

5. Acoustune 1695ti - Had a proper love affair with these, and they do provide an extremely gentle and balanced listening experience, but for whatever reason I am simply not absolutely loving my time with them, and they don't get enough playtime to really justify keeping either - will probably be posting them for sale soon, hit me up if you have an offer once again :)

IMG_4107.jpg

6. ItsFit Fusion - Good IEM, but the midrange just doesn't do it for me. Considering the rest of the stuff in my collection it made no sense to keep - they were extremely comfortable though and quite awesome for gaming. Sold a while ago and happy I did. The Satin Athena in the picture has been gifted to another Head-Fi member already, really disliked the hardware on that :)
IMG_5469.jpg

7. Plunge Audio Unity 5ES - I consider this a bit of a failed experiment - I finally had an IEM made exactly to spec, but it did not turn out as expected. It is very technical however, and if you get the chance, do try the stock version out - with proper tuning this could be one hell of a beast

8. EA Bespoke Leo/Cleo and Cleo Octa - both of these are awesome cables, but the existence of the Iliad doesn't justify keeping them. It's just too far ahead.

Hard to tell for now I guess. Definitely waiting on seeing what the second Iliad does with my Z1R, and I am also waiting on some pieces from Toxic Cables to try with some of my IEMs.

Mostly though, I'm searching for my match within the 64 custom line. Have a N8 universal coming my way soon (a friend was liquidating a store and sold me a demo), so once I try that out, I will probably be deciding between a potential N8, or the A18s. So far I've heard pretty awesome things about the latter, I guess time will tell if that will be the one from the 64 that manages to earn it's rightful spot in my personal top 3 favourites

Cool list. The mids and fit of the Z1R were (among a couple other things) deal breakers for me personally...glad you're enjoying them though. After a year or so of going through all sorts of gear I've finally settled on my own top 3. I just got a friends' u12t in the mail that I'm going to get to demo for a couple weeks to see if it can wiggle its way into my life. Looking forward to that lol. I wish I could get my hands on a universal Elysium to demo. As it stands the VE8 is probably where I'll wind up if I ever take the plunge into customs.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #21,567 of 39,414
Cool list. The mids and fit of the Z1R were (among a couple other things) deal breakers for me personally...glad you're enjoying them though. After a year or so of going through all sorts of gear I've finally settled on my own top 3. I just got a friends' u12t in the mail that I'm going to get to demo for a couple weeks to see if it can wiggle its way into my life. Looking forward to that lol. I wish I could get my hands on a universal Elysium to demo. As it stands the VE8 is probably where I'll wind up if I ever take the plunge into customs.
The fit on the Z1R is perfect for my ears, but I think I just got really really lucky as opposed to it fitting well - almost everyone I've come across has complained about that. Also considering how different our treble preferences are it kinda makes sense we have very different top 2/3s :D

Mar 9, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #21,568 of 39,414
@mvvRAZ

it's time to come up with a new phrase based off of your straight bonkers new habit of casually buying multiple uber high-end products.

maybe, a "raz-double?"

idfk.

you're a madman, buddy...don't ever change!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #21,569 of 39,414

1. Vision Ears Elysium

IMG_2426.jpg

2. Sony IER Z1R

3. Eletech Iliad

IMG_9651.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

Wouldn't it be a PITA to sell all those CIEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back