flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 5, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #21,541 of 39,414
QC issues are almost non-existent or at the same rate of non chi fi once you move past the super cheap stuff and into more mid/high end chi fi. I would recommend checking out Moondrop A/S8 or Fearless S8F/P and judge for yourself, you might find you are missing out on some nice gear.
Agreed, the quality of the A8 is suberb

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #21,542 of 39,414
I have had the Dunu Luna in my ears since this morning and I simply can't put them down... too busy at work to provide first impressions but those are very special... I'll send them back reluctantly... only to order them, I know this already :two_hearts:

Image d’iOS (136).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #21,543 of 39,414
I have had the Dunu Luna in my ears since this morning and I simply can't put them down... too busy at work to provide first impressions but those are very special... I'll send them back reluctantly... only to order them, I know this already :two_hearts:

Image d’iOS (136).jpg
The Dunu Luna was the IEM that really impressed me at CanJam NY. The more I listened, the more I liked them. These are what I thought were much better than the Final A8000 at the show. I also felt they were better then the UM Mest. Nice to hear someone else thinks highly of them as well. Tks.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #21,544 of 39,414
Auditioned the Lotoo PAW S1 dongle today. Boy this sounds like a mini PAW 6000! It comes with 4.4 mm & 3.5 mm outputs, which is quite rare for dongles like this.

Definitely an instant buy from me. Now we gotta wait until Lotoo gets back to work and start production...:slight_frown:
Sounds nice !
Can you give us more details ?
Do you know when it will be available to sell ?
Thx

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #21,545 of 39,414
Sounds nice !
Thx
I don’t have many more details, but alongside the 3.5mm and 4.4mm out, it has DSD support and its own PMEQ and ATE settings. I understand that availability should be in April, but that of course might still be affected by the current circumstances with CoV.

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #21,546 of 39,414
Sounds nice !
Thx

I’ll just put a picture of it here. The description is in Chinese obviously but the supported features are listed here:
09020F7F-03EE-4916-9E21-5536399DD9AC.jpeg

This dongle has a USB Type C input. When I auditioned this thing, I tried to use a lightning to Type C OTG cable. That cable worked for me when I used the WooAudio WA11 with my iPhone and fortunately it also works with the S1.

I know the original release date for the S1 was sometime in March but it looks like we might see it in April/May, depending on the virus situation.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #21,547 of 39,414
Thank you :)

I hope it will not be too expensive...
We will see !

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #21,548 of 39,414
The Dunu Luna was the IEM that really impressed me at CanJam NY. The more I listened, the more I liked them. These are what I thought were much better than the Final A8000 at the show. I also felt they were better then the UM Mest. Nice to hear someone else thinks highly of them as well. Tks.

I shared a bit more on the Luna thread

So I have now over a dozen of hours with the Luna... as I have hinted the Luna is a very special IEM, one that sounds like none I have heard before in fact. A very select few IEM have left such an impression on me right off the bat.

Luna is a vivid and intense IEM, and that may not be for everyone as there is a lot to take in, yet I don't find it fatiguing. In fact I find its signature and presentation mesmerizing... I have a hard time putting them down which usually is a good sign that it's a highly engaging listen.

Luna has off the charts macro dynamics and a stunning ability to effortlessly retrieve a fantastic level of details out of the PAW Gold Touch yet it's in no way analytical in its presentation. There is something very very special about this dynamic driver that just sounds quite different from anything I have heard. It will take some time to dig into how it does this. I suspect attack and decay are quite key, the way note sustain and decay is so very natural that it grants the Luna what I would dub a special "presence". This also derives from the most accurate timbre I have heard to date, instruments sound so very natural like being there! Textures are also quite exceptional, both instruments and vocals have rich textures which makes for a very tactile experience.

This all combine for me into a SummitFi audio experience, beyond what a lot of TOTL provide today even at much higher price range...
A real Tour de Force as we say in french.

More coming!

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #21,549 of 39,414
I’ll just put a picture of it here. The description is in Chinese obviously but the supported features are listed here:
09020F7F-03EE-4916-9E21-5536399DD9AC.jpeg

This dongle has a USB Type C input. When I auditioned this thing, I tried to use a lightning to Type C OTG cable. That cable worked for me when I used the WooAudio WA11 with my iPhone and fortunately it also works with the S1.

I know the original release date for the S1 was sometime in March but it looks like we might see it in April/May, depending on the virus situation.
Is the Lotoo dongle the same sort of thing as the Dragonfly Red? (I mean in basic terms)

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #21,550 of 39,414
Is the Lotoo dongle the same sort of thing as the Dragonfly Red? (I mean in basic terms)

Well, in *very* basic terms this one's black, not red, so it's different :sunglasses:

Just joking. Essentially yes, it seems to be. However, on a higher audiophile level I'm guessing :)

Mar 7, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #21,551 of 39,414
I have had the S1 in sight for a while, looks like a killer device :)

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #21,552 of 39,414
anyone notice their ear muscles messing around with the fit of their customs? I have this happening quite often, especially when someone calls me or knocks on my door. I can feel the iems suddenly loosening as my head tenses up. I can't control the movement of my ear muscles though, more of a reaction to stimuli.

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #21,553 of 39,414
anyone notice their ear muscles messing around with the fit of their customs? I have this happening quite often, especially when someone calls me or knocks on my door. I can feel the iems suddenly loosening as my head tenses up. I can't control the movement of my ear muscles though, more of a reaction to stimuli.
Are you sure it's not jaw muscle? Because the ear canal shape can change opening and closing the mouth (e.g biting, someone entered the room in one of your listening session and you gasped in surprise and anger). :) Or maybe you had muscle spasm or fatigue. This can be because of listening to loud volume for some period, or dehydration, lack of rest/exercise, diet, sudden temperature or pressure change, anxiety, etc, Not sure, because I haven't had one before.

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #21,554 of 39,414
I bit the bullet and blind purchased the DUNU Luna. Sucker for single drivers. Not enough impressions out there so hopefully I can help shed some light on this. I am kinda curious of the differences in how the beryllium is utilized in the Luna vs. the dome in the Focal Stellia.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #21,555 of 39,414
Are you sure it's not jaw muscle? Because the ear canal shape can change opening and closing the mouth (e.g biting, someone entered the room in one of your listening session and you gasped in surprise and anger). :) Or maybe you had muscle spasm or fatigue. This can be because of listening to loud volume for some period, or dehydration, lack of rest/exercise, diet, sudden temperature or pressure change, anxiety, etc, Not sure, because I haven't had one before.
Nope. it happens when I clench my jaws too, and can happen in the common situation where you put on your iems and are immediately called to do something so you have to take off your iems GODDAMMIT JERRY WHAT IS IT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back