flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 3, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #21,511 of 39,414
Sorry for the delay. So I'm listening to it now. The ME8 is very good at its layering, and I'm also impressed by its big soundstage. It's strength I think is in its presentation, and how it assimilates instruments upfront and in the back together coherently. You could pinpoint the positioning of the instruments coming from up or sides quite well. Resolution is quite good, above average but not as high as U18. However the imaging is excellent for me. Especially for one driver.
The bass is also tight and powerful, without it ever becoming bloaty. It's as expected from a dynamic driver. Strong, but still well-controlled.
However all that said it's missing in a bit of warmth underneath. The sparkle to counterbalance the bass is losing a bit of its smoothness overall. The tone I think is the part that could be improved. It's lacking in a little warmth in the lower-mids and smoothness in the upper range to sound natural. The treble is not sharp per se, but not that smooth enough for me.
But overall it's a very good IEM that is easy to listen and get used to. Technically good. Strong dynamic bass.
YMMV (I only heard for some minutes)
1582967842475521795320889428804.jpg
Thanks for the impressions! These things got me hooked once i tried them at e-earphone (I am figuring you were there too judging from your photo). I agree, bass is not the ME8's strong suit. Adequate for me, and not overbearing. Sub-bass thump is present, tight with less decay. How would you compare it to the Solaris?

The guitar strikes from the ME8 is what took me frankly, especially with Eric Clapton's Old Love (Unplugged). Very engaging

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #21,512 of 39,414
Just want to give an update on my New Years Resolution and say that I am doing half well with it! Only 50% of the current IEMs I have, I did not have January 1st. :)

And this is the perfect thread to post for the 500th time on Head-Fi.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #21,513 of 39,414
Thanks for the impressions! These things got me hooked once i tried them at e-earphone (I am figuring you were there too judging from your photo). I agree, bass is not the ME8's strong suit. Adequate for me, and not overbearing. Sub-bass thump is present, tight with less decay. How would you compare it to the Solaris?

The guitar strikes from the ME8 is what took me frankly, especially with Eric Clapton's Old Love (Unplugged). Very engaging
Thanks for recommending. I guess it suits your taste preference. If you like it there is one used for almost 60% of new's price. For my liking the Solaris sounded better because of its more natural tone, balanced character, and smoother treble. The width of the stage is also wider and vocals less forward in positioning and truer in timbre. However if you wish to focus more on instruments then perhaps thr ME8 would suit your preference. IMO for strings and guitars, and some shimmering cymbals I think the Solaris sounds good too.

Just want to give an update on my New Years Resolution and say that I am doing half well with it! Only 50% of the current IEMs I have, I did not have January 1st. :)

And this is the perfect thread to post for the 500th time on Head-Fi.
Way to go, congratulations! (On the 500th post, maybe for your new IEMs as well) You could maybe add to that a noise-cancelling headphone to reduce the sound of your guilty conscience :smiling_imp:

b5496f917bbde3e61237d3299de201993395f524f0136845c24660963f77d7a0.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #21,514 of 39,414
Thanks for recommending. I guess it suits your taste preference. If you like it there is one used for almost 60% of new's price. For my liking the Solaris sounded better because of its more natural tone, balanced character, and smoother treble. The width of the stage is also wider and vocals less forward in positioning and truer in timbre. However if you wish to focus more on instruments then perhaps thr ME8 would suit your preference. IMO for strings and guitars, and some shimmering cymbals I think the Solaris sounds good too.

Way to go, congratulations! (On the 500th post, maybe for your new IEMs as well) You could maybe add to that a noise-cancelling headphone to reduce the sound of your guilty conscience :xf_eek:gre:
Yes indeed i saw the used piece at E-earphone, would still be a hefty SGD900 for me...so savings of about 300-400.
I tried the Solaris too. I do remember it being more coherent and balanced, but isn't too much an upgrade when it is going to cost 2000+ (law of diminishing returns)

If you would recommend something similar to the ME8, which would you recommend?

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #21,515 of 39,414
Yes indeed i saw the used piece at E-earphone, would still be a hefty SGD900 for me...so savings of about 300-400.
I tried the Solaris too. I do remember it being more coherent and balanced, but isn't too much an upgrade when it is going to cost 2000+ (law of diminishing returns)

If you would recommend something similar to the ME8, which would you recommend?
How about one of these rare beauties: Mentor, Mason
I'm tempted in getting one, if only I don't already have the Mason. The Mason is one of my favourite monitors so far. They're both similar in sound character, both really good. Mason has a larger soundstage, and bigger bass. While the Mentor has a sweeter, livelier vocals with excellent treble. There are also plenty of used Solaris recently, it's a very good IEM all-round and seems to have a more durable build than the ME8. But again, none could replace the unique sound of the ME8. Something similar I think would be FitEar EST, which I found to be highly overlooked and underrated.

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #21,516 of 39,414
people who own a SONY WM1A/Z and have not visited the WM1A/Z thread in the last 10 days - come in , join the fun the thread is BOOMING

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #21,517 of 39,414
people who own a SONY WM1A/Z and have not visited the WM1A/Z thread in the last 10 days - come in , join the fun the thread is BOOMING
You gots a link homie?

Add: nvm found it :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #21,518 of 39,414
if you ignore "natural" tonality, the fourte does take you to narnia (shoutout to @PinkyPowers - hope you're well, man!)

I'm doing well. Just cut back heavily on forums and such. But I usually will see when someone tags me.

Glad you're enjoying Fourté so much. Wish I never had to sell it. They are truly special.

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #21,519 of 39,414
I'm doing well. Just cut back heavily on forums and such. But I usually will see when someone tags me.

Glad you're enjoying Fourté so much. Wish I never had to sell it. They are truly special.

PINKY!!!

Good to see you, dude.

I actually do not have the fourte...however, i did just pick up the VE Erlkonig...crazy iem.

Would actually really like to listen to the fourte again...

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #21,521 of 39,414
PINKY!!!

Good to see you, dude.

I actually do not have the fourte...however, i did just pick up the VE Erlkonig...crazy iem.

Would actually really like to listen to the fourte again...

Ah, my mistake.

Awesome to hear about Erlkonig. I haven't tested them myself, but they seem "crazy" indeed. :)

@PinkyPowers - I don't think I ever properly thanked you. It all started in 2017 with Angie (your review steered me there). It's been an uphill/sidehill/downhill climb since then. My point is, you got me on the mountain. So thanks!

My apologies. This mountain can take quite the toll.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #21,522 of 39,414
Ah, my mistake.

Awesome to hear about Erlkonig. I haven't tested them myself, but they seem "crazy" indeed. :)

Whenever you decide to dip your toes back in the water, I’d suggest checking out:

VE Elysium
Fir M5
Erlkonig, if you can find one...

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #21,524 of 39,414
sgotta be goooooood. (Kidding)

My 64A u18t review just showed up...didn’t do anything but write and post.

just pour your heart into it, @pithyginger63!

there may be other mechanisms, like if a review about a sponsor’s product happens to be written...but don’t know for sure.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #21,525 of 39,414
How about one of these rare beauties: Mentor, Mason
I'm tempted in getting one, if only I don't already have the Mason. The Mason is one of my favourite monitors so far. They're both similar in sound character, both really good. Mason has a larger soundstage, and bigger bass. While the Mentor has a sweeter, livelier vocals with excellent treble. There are also plenty of used Solaris recently, it's a very good IEM all-round and seems to have a more durable build than the ME8. But again, none could replace the unique sound of the ME8. Something similar I think would be FitEar EST, which I found to be highly overlooked and underrated.
Thanks for the sharing ! But all those are even more expensive than the ME8...For me I like lively treble, ok with even bit of sibilance, though i enjoy fuller resolution. That's why i adore my Moondrop A8 - but even the A8 is lacking the sparkle that the ME8 has...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back