flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 16, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #21,226 of 39,414
Custom is definitely the way to go. The bass comes more alive. All of their signature editions were at the show. They look great. Much better than the standard choices in my opinion. Check them out. Tks.
I also forgot to mention, if you get it, request the 7 pin connector and cable. JH is moving on from the 4 pin and the 7 pin was way easier to disconnect and connect. It just felt much better. I am doing the same. Tks.

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #21,227 of 39,414
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #21,228 of 39,414
well i have tons of adapters and I never believed adapters make a difference, like the 29 usd form cayin 2.5-4.4mm and others like from birse audio

until I got those

https://hifigo.com/products/dd-dj35a-dj44a-2-5-4-4-balanced-adapter-for-astell-kern-fiio

what the heck, the detail you get from these makes me think what the hell is going on here

those clearly are making it to my list of unexpected items that make a clear difference
I agree, you can throw or sell all the others!

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #21,229 of 39,414
dam i am going to buy alot more of these as spares, those are the real deal period

i rarely get surprised by things like this, but this really made me believe that adapters make a difference, I did not expect this difference. If anyone would tell me few days ago adapters make a difference, i would say whatever , man this is a big surprise

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #21,231 of 39,414
I also forgot to mention, if you get it, request the 7 pin connector and cable. JH is moving on from the 4 pin and the 7 pin was way easier to disconnect and connect. It just felt much better. I am doing the same. Tks.
Man, thank you I'd never have known that

So I just exchanged emails with Alex Stewart @ JH to discuss getting some custom Layla's. They're going to loan me a pair to compare with the Lola's. Very much looking forward to this :)

I'd already decided to get some nice custom IEM's and with JH's 20% "return customer" discount, the Layla's seem competitively price compared to some of the ones that are in the $3,000 to $4,000 range.

In any case, I doubt this will be my last pair of custom IEM's :) Great hobby

Listening to some electronic music on Qobuz by this group Yppah at the moment. Sounds pretty awesome... I know I'm probably not getting the optimal sound experience since i'm using the JH bluetooth cable connected to my iPhone by AAC but damn, it is so convenient. I can keep them on all day, tucked in my dress shirt at work and just pop them in whenever i want. I have the ES100 but it's kind of pain in the a$s having wires danging everywhere

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #21,232 of 39,414
Man, thank you I'd never have known that

So I just exchanged emails with Alex Stewart @ JH to discuss getting some custom Layla's. They're going to loan me a pair to compare with the Lola's. Very much looking forward to this :)

I'd already decided to get some nice custom IEM's and with JH's 20% "return customer" discount, the Layla's seem competitively price compared to some of the ones that are in the $3,000 to $4,000 range.

In any case, I doubt this will be my last pair of custom IEM's :) Great hobby

Listening to some electronic music on Qobuz by this group Yppah at the moment. Sounds pretty awesome... I know I'm probably not getting the optimal sound experience since i'm using the JH bluetooth cable connected to my iPhone by AAC but damn, it is so convenient. I can keep them on all day, tucked in my dress shirt at work and just pop them in whenever i want. I have the ES100 but it's kind of pain in the a$s having wires danging everywhere
Happy to be of assistance. Alex is who I was working with as well at the show ( I did not get his last name, but it must be the same person). He was very knowledgeable and accommodating. AJ Dimambro was also there and very helpful. And I agree, that 20% discount makes them way more affordable!

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #21,233 of 39,414
How does a 3.5mm single-ended connection work into a 2.5mm balanced output on the DD range? I didn’t think that was possible, or am I misunderstanding the setup?

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #21,234 of 39,414

4.4mm to 2.5mm or 3.5mm, or 2.5mm to 4.4mm or 3.5mm - been using DD Hifi with many of my cables, especially those "Thor hammer" adapters.

dd_hifi-44-adapters-06.jpg dd_hifi-44-adapters-07.jpg

dd_hifi-44-adapters-08.jpg dd_hifi-44-adapters-09.jpg

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #21,235 of 39,414
How does a 3.5mm single-ended connection work into a 2.5mm balanced output on the DD range? I didn’t think that was possible, or am I misunderstanding the setup?

You can't convert single ended to balanced, only balanced to single ended or balanced to balanced.

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #21,237 of 39,414
well i have tons of adapters and I never believed adapters make a difference, like the 29 usd form cayin 2.5-4.4mm and others like from birse audio

until I got those

https://hifigo.com/products/dd-dj35a-dj44a-2-5-4-4-balanced-adapter-for-astell-kern-fiio

what the heck, the detail you get from these makes me think what the hell is going on here

those clearly are making it to my list of unexpected items that make a clear difference
I just finished my review of the PAW6000 (link for anyone interested) and it has pretty much made me a 4.4mm convert, so I have been thinking about these adapters a lot lately. Either these or a pigtail adapter because this does not work very well:
IMAGE_19.JPG
It just stacks way too high and I am constantly worried about bumping into something and bending it.

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #21,239 of 39,414
I just finished my review of the PAW6000 (link for anyone interested) and it has pretty much made me a 4.4mm convert, so I have been thinking about these adapters a lot lately. Either these or a pigtail adapter because this does not work very well:
IMAGE_19.JPG
It just stacks way too high and I am constantly worried about bumping into something and bending it.
well you can go for it without any doubt they are just perfect

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #21,240 of 39,414
Hey folks, I can finally lift the curtain on that full-bodied in-ear I teased last week. It's the brand-new C9 Pro CIEM from Stealth Sonics. It's an update to their 9-driver flagship with an all-new, all-BA design, heightened output and sensitivity, and a revised tuning that's both more organic-sounding and technically apt at the same time. To put it briefly, it's one of the most coherent, easy-on-the-ear, natural-sounding monitors I've heard in recent memory, and I reckon many of you guys here will love what it has to offer. Without further ado, its First Look is down below. Cheers! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back