flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 14, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #21,196 of 39,414
Hey all, has anyone here been able to try the Dunu Luna? I haven’t seen much about it, but I thought I had heard there were some demo units floating around....very interested

Tomorrow at CanJam, both Luna and A8000, hopefully. Both use similar drivers, and from Jude's measurements have similar FR and the same low distortion. But I'm curious about the actual tonality as I hear with my ears.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #21,197 of 39,414
the itch is kiicking in to buy another iem, dam this hobby is never ending

I have the following

1- KSE1500 top sound for me but i will not compare it to others as it needs a special amp setup, so I will leave it aside.
2- Khan : I adore it, I do not know even why I need anything else, I simply can not find a flaw in its tuning.
3- encore brass: has its own magical tuning and very detailed, has less bass than khan but it is a great iem
4- Lola: I adore its big presentation, great in everything, I just love its mids and detail, and it has a solid bass, and big sound stage and it does all genres amazing
5- Roxanne: this is my rock and metal music iem, this one is an explosive iem for iem
6- Angie: more balanced than the other 2 iems by jhaudio and I love its mids and everything bout it
7- sony ier-z1r: well dam how engaging this iem is, its mids are not the best, but listening to is alot of fun

Looking at these 7 iems, still the itch is kicking in :)

But I have no clue what to get to either replace one of the 7 or be the 8th in my arsenal

I can get the Solaris SE for a good deal, maybe it will be the one

What signatures I like : musical, detailed, to have great mids, big sound stage, and good detail, I adore mids and that is always my first point of focus
Tried any of Custom Art's stuff? Maybe @piotrus-g could point you in the right direction? That said I'd be guessing the 7 would probably be the one recommended looking at that list.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #21,198 of 39,414
Tried any of Custom Art's stuff? Maybe @piotrus-g could point you in the right direction? That said I'd be guessing the 7 would probably be the one recommended looking at that list.
the impressions on the 7 is really interesting

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #21,199 of 39,414
Hmm, Barra, you talking about the tour Wraith unit, the same one Ike reviewed? When I read ike's review and now your comments, it sounds like both of you guys are talking about a different IEM.

Don't get me wrong, Wraith has a very unique tuning, might not be everyone's cup of tea (I personally like it with EQ adjustment to boost treble), and of course makes no sense to label it as "bad" or "good" because everyone has their own personal sound preference. But the reference to EST drives sounding bright, is the opposite of what I'm hearing in my review unit or dozens of impressions I read from others. My measurements were actually exactly the same as Crin's, with treble being rolled off relative to mids. Also, I tried it with high power and high current sources. Wonder if your tour unit is different?

Wraith.jpg
Interesting, I guess everyone's hearing is different, but at 55 my treble perception is probably low making it doubly curious. Bright was how I described it, but maybe I would say intense as it stood out for me for a couple days until getting used to the new representation of treble. Going back and forth with the Valkyrie, I found that they both were pronounced in the treble. Perhaps it is just because of the new way it represents treble as an EST? I am listening to the Valkyrie custom right now and I still feel that the treble is a standout and that new EST sound was one of the reasons I wanted the Valkyrie.

Looking at the graph, there is a considerable lift in treble in the 3k range before the fall off that sets it above the bass/mids, perhaps that is my intensity. Whatever it is, I am really enjoying these Valkyries EST and sub-bass goodness and cannot wait to hear the Wraith again to figure this out. :)

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #21,200 of 39,414

I have the following

1- KSE1500 top sound for me but i will not compare it to others as it needs a special amp setup, so I will leave it aside.
2- Khan : I adore it, I do not know even why I need anything else, I simply can not find a flaw in its tuning.
3- encore brass: has its own magical tuning and very detailed, has less bass than khan but it is a great iem
4- Lola: I adore its big presentation, great in everything, I just love its mids and detail, and it has a solid bass, and big sound stage and it does all genres amazing
5- Roxanne: this is my rock and metal music iem, this one is an explosive iem for iem
6- Angie: more balanced than the other 2 iems by jhaudio and I love its mids and everything bout it
7- sony ier-z1r: well dam how engaging this iem is, its mids are not the best, but listening to is alot of fun

But I have no clue what to get to either replace one of the 7 or be the 8th in my arsenal

What signatures I like : musical, detailed, to have great mids, big sound stage, and good detail, I adore mids and that is always my first point of focus
Your last sentence is describing my custom ELYSIUM. Best mids I have heard, period.

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #21,201 of 39,414
Interesting, I guess everyone's hearing is different, but at 55 my treble perception is probably low making it doubly curious. Bright was how I described it, but maybe I would say intense as it stood out for me for a couple days until getting used to the new representation of treble. Going back and forth with the Valkyrie, I found that they both were pronounced in the treble. Perhaps it is just because of the new way it represents treble as an EST? I am listening to the Valkyrie custom right now and I still feel that the treble is a standout and that new EST sound was one of the reasons I wanted the Valkyrie.

Looking at the graph, there is a considerable lift in treble in the 3k range before the fall off that sets it above the bass/mids, perhaps that is my intensity. Whatever it is, I am really enjoying these Valkyries EST and sub-bass goodness and cannot wait to hear the Wraith again to figure this out. :)

Just so we are on the same page :wink:, here is a common Freq Chart many use to describe sub-bass, bass, mids, upper mids, and high freq (treble):

FreqChart.JPG

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #21,202 of 39,414
hi, can those tips be used with regular iems, and is there a site to buy them that ship internationally

Yes, they are available on Amazon Japan. You can check if they ship to your location.

These tips should work with regular wide-bore IEMs. The recommended nozzle diameter is at least 6 mm but I’ve tried one with a 5.0 mm diameter and the tips fit quite well. The tricky part with these tips is to get a proper fit with your ears and I’ll be experimenting with a few other IEMs so see what happens.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #21,203 of 39,414

I have the following

Wow dude you’re my new hero haha. I just took the plunge last year into nice audio equipment and man it’s addictive huh? I started with some Audeze LCD-2’s and then grabbed some universal Lola’s. Beautiful sound

now I’m ready to get some custom IEM’s but man I must say I am at a loss for what kind to get. I’d love any advice that you or anyone else on this thread might have

I’m listening to opera and classical on Qobuz at the moment. I love guitar (Nils Lofgren), blues (Eric Bibb), jazz and female vocals (norah Jones, Diane Krall, Katie Melua)

for the time being, I’d be connecting the new IEM’s to my HiBy R6 Pro and playing 24/192 flac’s, DSD’s, Tidal an Qobuz. Probably not looking to get a new DAC or desktop AMP... yet :)

thinking of spending around $2,500 for the custom IEMs

thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #21,204 of 39,414
Wow dude you’re my new hero haha. I just took the plunge last year into nice audio equipment and man it’s addictive huh? I started with some Audeze LCD-2’s and then grabbed some universal Lola’s. Beautiful sound

now I’m ready to get some custom IEM’s but man I must say I am at a loss for what kind to get. I’d love any advice that you or anyone else on this thread might have

I’m listening to opera and classical on Qobuz at the moment. I love guitar (Nils Lofgren), blues (Eric Bibb), jazz and female vocals (norah Jones, Diane Krall, Katie Melua)

for the time being, I’d be connecting the new IEM’s to my HiBy R6 Pro and playing 24/192 flac’s, DSD’s, Tidal an Qobuz. Probably not looking to get a new DAC or desktop AMP... yet :)

thinking of spending around $2,500 for the custom IEMs

thanks!
I would put these on your list :
JH Audio Layla: I may be going for a custom of this myself.
QDC Anole VX: was still better in my opinion to almost all the IEM’s at the show, maybe all of them.”
VE V8
VE Elysium. I would love to hear these two myself. Unfortunately Vision Ears is still not in the US. If you can, definitely demo them. Many top reviews for them.
Dunu Luna: this is universal only, but I was impressed by this one at the show.

I am sure you will come up with many others, but definitely check these out as well if you can. Let us k ow what you choose. Tks.

Feb 15, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #21,205 of 39,414
I would put these on your list :
JH Audio Layla: I may be going for a custom of this myself.
QDC Anole VX: was still better in my opinion to almost all the IEM’s at the show, maybe all of them.”
VE V8
VE Elysium. I would love to hear these two myself. Unfortunately Vision Ears is still not in the US. If you can, definitely demo them. Many top reviews for them.
Dunu Luna: this is universal only, but I was impressed by this one at the show.

I am sure you will come up with many others, but definitely check these out as well if you can. Let us k ow what you choose. Tks.
If you look in my signature, you will see we are doing a US HeadFi tour for VE featuring the V8 and Elysium. Just follow the link. :)

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #21,207 of 39,414
Same boat as people here, looking to cure the itch! Since I love mids a lot with gobs of details and big sound, im getting very reclined towards the Elysium. Just that I tend to go for universals more, but for this I might get customs.

Still waiting on CanJam impressions, not sure if any universal based iem comes close to Elsyium's midrange.

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #21,209 of 39,414
Hey all, has anyone here been able to try the Dunu Luna? I haven’t seen much about it, but I thought I had heard there were some demo units floating around....very interested

I should be getting a unit soon, this was delayed due to nCoV and a quick sell out as well... impatient :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back