flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 14, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #17,116 of 39,414
Everyone perceives upper mids a bit differently because of their ear anatomy, both inner and outer, as well as ear/brain system. HRTF also comes into play. Versus speakers (what we'll call a natural base), IEMs are at a distinct disadvantage of sounding 'natural'. Sound coming out of speakers (or any real source) is altered by your body, face, outer ear, and ear canals before it reaches your drums. So, while you negate any 'room effects' below 500hz that speakers usually yield by using IEMs - and that sounds infinitely better BTW than speakers in a room - you now have to roll the dice on 800hz on upward because that IEM needs to match the very unique response you're ear drums are 'used to'.

That sounds very similar to what people describe as burn in, which I've always taken as getting used to a signature change rather than any physical change in the source change.

Long way of saying.....you have to find the IEM that sounds most natural to you, or caters to your preferences while not sounding like garbage and retaining the technicalities we're all after. Unfortunately, it's trials and errors (expensive ones) - and the only final assessment that matters is how much you like them.
VERY expensive, you do take a bit of a loss everytime you plunge in to a TOTL and found something missing.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #17,117 of 39,414
foams work just fine for the FR, but rob transients and low level detail. Also further attenuates what little is there in the top octave to begin with.

thanks for the replies guys. I found some triple flange that fit deep and seal against or just past my second bend (I'm guessing). Sibilance is completely gone and the sound is just great! Now that I know it's not the tuning of the Penta I dislike, rather a nasty resonance caused by my cavernous canals, I went ahead and ordered custom tips from Advanced Sound. They have Penta as one of the models they fit for.
Where do you find the triple flange? I want to get some too.

Jul 15, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #17,118 of 39,414
Confession of an audio-gear shopaholic...

20190715_115555.jpg

20190715_121241.jpg

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #17,120 of 39,414
VERY expensive, you do take a bit of a loss everytime you plunge in to a TOTL and found something missing.
honestly though, my first girlfriend experience is turning out more expensive than I expected and I suspect my be more damaging to my wallet in the long run compared to my hobby (which has slowed down significantly due to aforementioned experience).

Both are worth it though

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #17,121 of 39,414
Treble emphasis is very hard to get right , either its not enough or too excessive but still haven't found that just right still (COUGH ZEUS COUGH PHANTOM COUGH COUGH COUGH). Granted the tuning for both were tuned exceptionally well that I accepted those flaws. So i agree there.

you may wanna check the quality of your music , Zeus XR has no flaws in the highs , if there is a shortcoming (not for me) it's the bass could be more robust

but if you think the highs on zeus are flawed , you probably listen to modern badly-mastered music which sounds hot and you think zeus is the problem

garbage in garbage out , nothing zeus can do about it

cheers

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #17,123 of 39,414
Hi everyone, as mentioned earlier I will be visiting Hong Kong soon with my family.

3- I know the last question might be difficult, I would like to buy an amp called KGSSHV for my stax headphones, that amp is made in Iceland so I guess finding it in Hong Kong will be difficult ( https://mjolnir-audio.com/products/ )

thanks so much

I’ll give you some background about the KGSSHV.

KGSSHV is a DIY amp circuit design that anyone with good electrical/electronics knowledge can take and build an amp. Mjolnir Audio, who is located in Iceland, just happens to be one of the most popular builders of KGSSHV. There are other amp builders who make the KGSSHV amp. While the circuit design is the same, the components and the quality of those components that each builders use would be different, because of which, the KGSSHV from one builder might sound slightly different from the other. For all you know, you might find a KGSSHV in HK built by a local builder. But it may not sound exactly like the KGSSHV built by Mjolnir Audio.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #17,124 of 39,414
I’ll give you some background about the KGSSHV.

KGSSHV is a DIY amp circuit design that anyone with good electrical/electronics knowledge can take and build an amp. Mjolnir Audio, who is located in Iceland, just happens to be one of the most popular builders of KGSSHV. There are other amp builders who make the KGSSHV amp. While the circuit design is the same, the components and the quality of those components that each builders use would be different, because of which, the KGSSHV from one builder might sound slightly different from the other. For all you know, you might find a KGSSHV in HK built by a local builder. But it may not sound exactly like the KGSSHV built by Mjolnir Audio.

sorry i posted that in the wrong thread, but thanks for the answer

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #17,125 of 39,414
honestly though, my first girlfriend experience is turning out more expensive than I expected and I suspect my be more damaging to my wallet in the long run compared to my hobby (which has slowed down significantly due to aforementioned experience).

Both are worth it though
Girlfriends are temporary, Head-Fi is forever.

Unless you take the "wife" upgrade module.

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #17,127 of 39,414
Jul 15, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #17,129 of 39,414
Jul 15, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #17,130 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back