flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 17, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #16,922 of 39,414
I just wanted to be Headphoneus Supremus
33nihe.jpg

or this one?
Headphoneus Supremus.png

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #16,923 of 39,414
VE8_ThorII8W.jpg

The VE8 @ Thor Silver II Octa >> SP1000m

Holy mother. For now this is my endgame combo. I know this will change quite a lot of times in future when i take a look at all the nice things to come :) But honestly.....after 50 hours of burn in time the VE8 sounds so incredible in this chain i can't get my mouth closed.....so clear, so coherent, so engaging, so....heavenly.....so perfect (?)

Attachments

• VE8_ThorII8W_2.jpg
    VE8_ThorII8W_2.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #16,924 of 39,414
^ nice chain.

have you heard the a18t? can't get my jaw off the floor with that one either...i'd describe it in the same way you detailed the ve8.

the ve8 is one of the few iems i haven't heard that i am very curious about.

interested in how one would describe the sound vs. the ve8. i've been in talks to demo the ve8, but haven't pulled the trigger yet on that because i'll still need to pay the shipping costs...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #16,925 of 39,414

The VE8 @ Thor Silver II Octa >> SP1000m

Holy mother. For now this is my endgame combo. I know this will change quite a lot of times in future when i take a look at all the nice things to come :) But honestly.....after 50 hours of burn in time the VE8 sounds so incredible in this chain i can't get my mouth closed.....so clear, so coherent, so engaging, so....heavenly.....so perfect (?)
You need to try the Crystal Cable Dream Duet. It completely transforms the VE8 to god tier. Dare I say, the VE8 Dream Duet combo will beat damn near any iem on a stock cable, including VE's own Erlkonig. Actually maybe not, the Erlkonig's imaging precision is still astounding to me.

Jun 17, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #16,926 of 39,414
^ nice chain.

have you heard the a18t? can't get my jaw off the floor with that one either...i'd describe it in the same way you detailed the ve8.

the ve8 is one of the few iems i haven't heard that i am very curious about.

interested in how one would describe the sound vs. the ve8. i've been in talks to demo the ve8, but haven't pulled the trigger yet on that because i'll still need to pay the shipping costs...
Here are my brief impressions.

A18 is unique among iems because it sounds huge. Instrument size is positively massive, so is it's soundstage. It's super detailed, and every frequency is textured and has just the right amount of body. I think it's definitely worthy of endgame status.

The VE8 sounds interesting. It's signature is warm and gooey, but when you listen closer, the timbral qualities of instruments, especially their beginning and end sounds, are done to a really high level. In a way, it can sound as if textural detail and the tones of instruments are in separate worlds because one is so articulate while the other is so warm. It dissects the sound of an instrument down and let's you analyze how every note sounds. Bear in mind, this detail doesn't jump out at you as much as it does with the A18.

Adding the Crystal Cable Dream Duet to the VE8 expands it's soundstage by at least 3 to 4 times the size. It sounds absolutely astounding. I didn't try the cable with the A18 as it was actually another customer's and I didn't want to keep his really fking expensive cable for too long.

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #16,927 of 39,414
So, I have my earphones plugged into my laptop at the moment, and my laptop is a gaming laptop that has sound profiles tuned so that the soundstage is really expanded. It does work with my earphones, but I was wondering what exactly it is that creates this effect.

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #16,928 of 39,414
Actually maybe not, the Erlkonig's imaging precision is still astounding to me.
It better since the price would requure one to grow a third kidney.

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #16,929 of 39,414
Jun 17, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #16,930 of 39,414
Jun 18, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #16,931 of 39,414
Appreciate that response @pithyginger63.

Looking forward to hearing the ve8 for myself sometime.

Jun 18, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #16,933 of 39,414
You need to try the Crystal Cable Dream Duet. It completely transforms the VE8 to god tier. Dare I say, the VE8 Dream Duet combo will beat damn near any iem on a stock cable, including VE's own Erlkonig. Actually maybe not, the Erlkonig's imaging precision is still astounding to me.

Some Erlkonig owners have said cable rolling with that IEM doesn't improve the sound by too much compared to stock cable.

To me, Dream Duet is an "unleash your IEM" silver cable and it doesn't really color the sound. I find it to extend the A18t's soundstage width the furthest out of all cables I've tried thus far. I still haven't tried EA's Cleopatra so I wonder how that cable compares to the Dream Duet. My funds are running low so I'm afraid to go audition that cable (and freaking Cayin N6ii too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back