flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #15,601 of 39,414
One thing I love about coming to Japan is visiting E earphone! I wish we had such a store in the US... tried out some models for the first time from Lime, Fitear, QDC, Acoustune.. all impressive in their own way.. second time hearing the VE8 and as blown away as my first in Bangkok.. probably the best BA tuning I've ever tried. I wish some of these CIEM makers would sell universals, I mean they made demo versions but don't sell them sadly. One disappointment is that neither the Tokyo or Osaka shop had the Jomo Trinity. Lastly I have to mention my most memorable listen being the Kumitate Focus.. wow, felt so balanced and refined across the board, it oozed high fidelity with the cherry on top as one of the most beautiful shell work I've seen. The Lakh was solid but I thought the Focus was amazing. Would have bought it on the spot if it was a universal.

LRG__DSC3551.JPG

LRG__DSC3545.JPG

LRG__DSC3552.JPG

Oh.. and I simply couldn't leave empty handed! :)

LRG__DSC3607.JPG

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #15,602 of 39,414
My take on the Plussound Exo Tri-Silver. Can't go wrong with the Tri-Silver if you want an incisive bass expression, forward midrange and engaging treble!
Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #15,603 of 39,414
One thing I love about coming to Japan is visiting E earphone! I wish we had such a store in the US... tried out some models for the first time from Lime, Fitear, QDC, Acoustune.. all impressive in their own way.. second time hearing the VE8 and as blown away as my first in Bangkok.. probably the best BA tuning I've ever tried. I wish some of these CIEM makers would sell universals, I mean they made demo versions but don't sell them sadly. One disappointment is that neither the Tokyo or Osaka shop had the Jomo Trinity. Lastly I have to mention my most memorable listen being the Kumitate Focus.. wow, felt so balanced and refined across the board, it oozed high fidelity with the cherry on top as one of the most beautiful shell work I've seen. The Lakh was solid but I thought the Focus was amazing. Would have bought it on the spot if it was a universal.

Oh.. and I simply couldn't leave empty handed! :)

So, what was your impression of the 1ZR?

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #15,604 of 39,414
To be honest, I've been getting tired of cable makers shoving silver cables of increasing price at the market. "This isn't your stereotypical silver, its not bright AND IT tampers with the bass, also: It looks A E S T H E T I C AND IS A L LO Y/P U R E"

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #15,606 of 39,414
Mar 27, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #15,609 of 39,414
Mar 27, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #15,612 of 39,414
Gold can be gaudy. Subtlety is key. :wink:

Gold headphones are plenty subtle... just need to accessorize your IEM with the right clothing.

mc_hammer_1641683a.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #15,614 of 39,414
To be honest, I've been getting tired of cable makers shoving silver cables of increasing price at the market. "This isn't your stereotypical silver, its not bright AND IT tampers with the bass, also: It looks A E S T H E T I C AND IS A L LO Y/P U R E"
Personally, I think cables make a noticeable difference to sound. I can definitely tell that my cables sound different from each other and certain cables actually perform better than others. However, I still have no idea why iem cables can be so expensive. Is it the price of the material?

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #15,615 of 39,414
I'd love to see cable manufacturers actually provide cable measurements to back up their claims.
Something like these, but you know, with differences:

130208_Blog_HeadphoneCableMeasurements_Graph_FRLeft.jpg

130208_Blog_HeadphoneCableMeasurements_Graph_ImpLeft.jpg

..or is it not possible for some reason? :smirk:

Well to be fair, cables can make a difference with headphones with low, inconsistent impedance through the audible frequency range such as low impedance IEMs with multiple drivers. But how they will affect the sound is based on the ouput impedance of your source, and the particular impedances of your headphones, and is not possible to generalize. In this case, how it alters the sound is based on the resistance of the cable and not its price or overall quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back