flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 16, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #15,391 of 39,414
Yes, crossovers done via damping/filtering are considered crossovers as well; just acoustic ones. They’re no less “true” than electrical crossovers, and they’re in fact usually used in conjunction with each other. Emil from Lime Ears has said that he prefers acoustic filtering than electrical filtering, while Empire Ears’ Olympus line-up (from Supra to Zeus) had no dampers or filters whatsoever; entirely electrical in nature crossover-wise. The Phantom has a green damper in one of its three sound tubes, but that’s the only sign of acoustic filtering I see.

All designs (whether one BA or a dozen) each have their pros and cons. There are sigs that you can’t achieve with a single driver and the reverse is true too. If you don’t necessarily have the know-how yet, multi-BA set-ups will more likely cause you trouble than good. But, we’ve all seen how good they can be in the right hands. Given the amount of manufacturers that pull off good multi-BA set-ups, I’m sure it’s definitely science and not magic.
I'll probably start with single driver designs and learn about tubing and damping first. Electronics probably comes second. Indeed, I have very little know-how so I gotta start slow. (maybe I should go into otorhinolaryngology (ENT))

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #15,393 of 39,414
@pithyginger63
Thats it?
Ive had a bunch
- Zeus just shattering apart in my hand
- Dropping Zeus and finding out it was actually an Andromeda
- Tripping and ripping apart a multitude of cablea.

Etc....

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #15,395 of 39,414
are those your dreams? I've cut cables with scissors. in real life.
I would have gone AWOL from Headfi if those were not dreams. Music keeps me sane. Not being able to listen to it....

Wait.... You did what?!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #15,396 of 39,414
are those your dreams? I've cut cables with scissors. in real life.
Weren't you also throwing some of your equipment out of your car window for a while? LOL

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #15,399 of 39,414
days like these, when you feel like posting this on every single thread you’ve read...

CBCB8024-C690-497E-ADA3-23499C61B5BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #15,403 of 39,414
cultural bias decoder:-

“eastern europeans” also applies to most asian cultures aside from the japanese where “americans” apply.
I could add the Chinese and the French in there. The French would be close to the Eastern European. The Chinese would go from 还可以to不错I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back