flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 15, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #15,363 of 39,414

also more often than not, adherence to the “target”/reference tends to be more conceptual (ie “inspired by” vs “adaptation of”) for example, iirc, dita truth was inspired by the magico mini, and irl, magico mini is a fair bit more linear, with an extended but overdamped bass, full mids and extended by relatively sweet treble. What they took from it was the speakers wider than deep forward staging. Fitear 335 DW, otoh was inspired by JVC mastering studio’s jbl 4343, where the tonality of the coloured (forward horn loaded upper mids, full, slightly loose, resonant but dynamic 8” mid woofer+18” woofer combo) sounding monitors translated pretty accurately to the iem, but not its huge “wall of sound” presentation.

how one perceives the success of the engineers in capturing the gestalt of their references is about as predictable as lottery.

dita’s 2ch ref system:

https://m.facebook.com/DitaAudio/photos/a.1417166715179498/2050344541861709/?type=3&source=54

fitear’s MH series reference (Mastering Engineer Mitsuharu Harada’s mastering suite):

4586BB55-78C3-4F92-9E9F-CD9782FE6879.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #15,364 of 39,414
Just the other day we were at 1000 pages, now already on 1025. Some people are surely getting a lot of finger exercising out of this :p ... and leading right into the topic of exercising :wink: Erik @Wyville is ready to pump you up with his new Audiophile Boot Camp, you lazy bastards!!! :D j/k But seriously, an all new take on using your audiogear in your active lifestyle, starting with a look at Shanling M0 (Wyville's Audiophile Boot Camp).

shanling_m0-IMAGE_12.jpg shanling_m0-IMAGE_14.jpg

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #15,365 of 39,414
So Boot Camp refers to the kicking your wallet takes when looking at this thread and others on headfi does it?

Got the shanling m0. Nice little player except for the glaring miss of audiobook/podcast support.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #15,366 of 39,414
So Boot Camp refers to the kicking your wallet takes when looking at this thread and others on headfi does it?

Got the shanling m0. Nice little player except for the glaring miss of audiobook/podcast support.

Are there any portable non-android DAPs that support bookmark functionality for audiobooks/podcast? I get that question asked quite a lot. I think old Clip+ used to support it.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #15,368 of 39,414
99% of why I buy things.

I had a nightmare yesterday night. My A12t had returned, but it had lost all its upper midrange. There was so little sound. I'm so worried now.
giphy (2).gif

I think you might need to spend more time outside. Offline. Away from Head-Fi.

Just a thought.

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #15,370 of 39,414

I think you might need to spend more time outside. Offline. Away from Head-Fi.

Just a thought.

I once had dreams where:

1) I was presented with a platter of silicone IEMs and I had the uncontrollable urge to eat them all one by one. As I chewed, I could feel and hear the crunch of every PCB and BA I crushed between my teeth. Only when I was done did I realise the horrors of what I'd just done

and

2) I imagined my Lime Ears Aether's had magically transformed a CIEM-shaped macaron, and as I grabbed it to listen to it, it crumbled into sweet, sweet dust between my fingertips...

After both scenarios, I was torn on whether to take a break from reviewing or cooking. :D

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #15,371 of 39,414
nah, even if I were away from headfi I'd still be thinking about audio. I always spend all my free time in my hobbies. I can't imagine living any other way (this is a cry for help)

I once had dreams where:

1) I was presented with a platter of silicone IEMs and I had the uncontrollable urge to eat them all one by one. As I chewed, I could feel and hear the crunch of every PCB and BA I crushed between my teeth. Only when I was done did I realise the horrors of what I'd just done

and

2) I imagined my Lime Ears Aether's had magically transformed a CIEM-shaped macaron, and as I grabbed it to listen to it, it crumbled into sweet, sweet dust between my fingertips...

After both scenarios, I was torn on whether to take a break from reviewing or cooking. :D

At least your dreams are related to your hobbies, mine are so random I couldn't imagine them if I tried.

One example is when I was driving a red Oldsmobile-like convertible in what looked like a desert, then I ran the car into Matthew McConaughey, he stayed on the hood of the car, and then we got sucked up to an alien ship. That's without having seen any alien or McConaughey or dessert-themed movie any time near then.

And yet another where an octopus-shaped green blob smacked me and I was able to see through its eyes. That's it... saw nothing interesting.

Couldn't be family, audio, snowboard, whiskey, or beer related...

tenor (52).gif

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #15,372 of 39,414
I once had dreams where:

and

whats your favorite thing to cook?

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #15,373 of 39,414
At least your dreams are related to your hobbies, mine are so random I couldn't imagine them if I tried.

One example is when I was driving a red Oldsmobile-like convertible in what looked like a desert, then I ran the car into Matthew McConaughey, he stayed on the hood of the car, and then we got sucked up to an alien ship. That's without having seen any alien or McConaughey or dessert-themed movie any time near then.

And yet another where an octopus-shaped green blob smacked me and I was able to see through its eyes. That's it... saw nothing interesting.

Couldn't be family, audio, snowboard, whiskey, or beer related...

This is how Oscar-winning films are made.

whats your favorite thing to cook?

I typically rotate around French, Italian and American cuisines; the Western classics. If I'm cooking to eat, it'll probably be some form of pasta, steak, roast, etc. If I'm cooking to cook, I love making desserts. Anything chocolate, meringue, pastry or custard-related are my favourites. Oh, and I probably make the best hot chocolate any of y'all will ever have. :wink:

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #15,375 of 39,414
I typically rotate around French, Italian and American cuisines; the Western classics. If I'm cooking to eat, it'll probably be some form of pasta, steak, roast, etc. If I'm cooking to cook, I love making desserts. Anything chocolate, meringue, pastry or custard-related are my favourites. Oh, and I probably make the best hot chocolate any of y'all will ever have. :wink:
What are you doing tempting me?

I like to cook Chinese and Taiwanese stuff and steak (very specifically, just steak, and maybe mashed potatoes). I also like to cook Japanese Western food. I've been practicing omelette rice a lot lately, the kind where you make a classic French omelette then put it on rice and cut it open. Nothing fancy though, I have no eye for finesse in plating. I remember you posted a picture of a roast you made once, that was gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back