flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #15,272 of 39,414
The DPX1A was pretty solid, but most likely because when I was using it, it wasnt in my winter jacket with the player at that angle I mentioned. There was a very slight bent I noticed on the Leo II with the SE100 in my pocket, but Im guessing because it was flush it was very minor, there wasnt much room for it to bend. My 1960 has the collored Furutech 2.5mm plug which I noticed is more prone to bends in general. I much rather lug around the SE100 in a pouch if it means the plug stays straight.
Oh yeah the Onkyo/Pioneer are excellent players SQ wise. The Pioneer is the best sounding DAP I have. But Onkyo/Pioneer really dropped the ball on the design of the headphone outs. It's actually quite inexcusable how brittle they are and how many people are in the impressions thread asking what they can do with their DAP with broken headphone jacks. But yeah I mean I love this DAP and I love it even more than I've applied epoxy to the jacks and am no longer quite as terrified to use it lol.

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #15,273 of 39,414
52F1E7D1-BE1F-4EA5-878C-176FBBC11AC0.jpeg Arrived today...

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #15,275 of 39,414
Daniel, curious if you've ever bent any jacks before using the pouch? Ive been sticking my SE100 in the inside pocket of my winter jacket, and a lot of times it ends up with the SE100 on the side with some force on the plug. I noticed some crackling recently whenever that happens and the plug seems to have developed a slight bent which at a certain messes with the connection. Spent half an hour or so slowly getting it straight (while praying to the cable gods to not snap the jack) and want to avoid this situation in the future.

No, I haven't. But, funny you and @CoryGillmore mention Onkyo, I did have an incident with the DP-X1 a couple years ago. Because my pouch couldn't fit the DP-X1, I had to resort to putting it in my pants pocket. Unknowingly, at some point during listening - perhaps when I was walking or when I sat down - the 2.5mm plug had bent inside the player's jack. So when I eventually pulled the plug out (with absolutely zero effort, by the way) the whole jack unit had gone with it. This is why I've since gone 4.4mm and never looked back.

Also, you're only 21?! I guessed much older.

Yeah, so have pretty much everyone else I've met on Head-Fi. :D

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #15,276 of 39,414
No, I haven't. But, funny you and @CoryGillmore mention Onkyo, I did have an incident with the DP-X1 a couple years ago. Because my pouch couldn't fit the DP-X1, I had to resort to putting it in my pants pocket. Unknowingly, at some point during listening - perhaps when I was walking or when I sat down - the 2.5mm plug had bent inside the player's jack. So when I eventually pulled the plug out (with absolutely zero effort, by the way) the whole jack unit had gone with it. This is why I've since gone 4.4mm and never looked back.

I would have guessed at least 40, you are very well spoken.

If you ever get the chance, I would be interested in your impressions of Obravo AMT driver IEMs, I am a sucker for new tech

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #15,277 of 39,414
I would have guessed at least 40, you are very well spoken.

If you ever get the chance, I would be interested in your impressions of Obravo AMT driver IEMs, I am a sucker for new tech

Thanks! I think given my occupations, it's been more of a prerequisite rather than any sort of talent. :D I haven't been able to hear any of the oBravo IEMs, but I'll definitely do my best to do so at CanJam SG in a few weeks.

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #15,278 of 39,414

Yeah my X1A had more solid jacks but still wiggly. I gave my sister a crash course on how to not destroy the gear when I gave it to her. I use to keep it in my pocket and I suspect that had to do with my SE Lionheart's plug falling apart. That ended that and it became inner pockets on jackets. Thankfully its a bit warmer the last couple of days so I've been able to switch to a switch with a much narrower pocket so that theres no pressure on the jack on both the DAP and cable. Almost had a heart attack getting my 1960 jack straighted out, currently enjoying it no cracks regardless of how I turn the jack. This setup is going in a pouch when Im on the go. No questions about it.

I'm not surprised that people think that you're a lot older. You have a way with words that people usually accumulate with age. I'm 27 and I still say something and go "did I just word it that way...?"

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #15,279 of 39,414
Hear he! Hear he! I finally have an update to the @ThomasHK v. Trinity controversy! :D

Jokes aside, Joseph was kind enough to respond to my messages this morning regarding the differences between the Trinity SS and the Trinity Brass. He told me that although there are measurable differences between the SS and Brass (which we'll get to in a minute), Crinacle's graph exaggerated them by a large degree. Joseph wasn't aware of the graph back when I asked him whether the differences between the two were simply down to the nozzle, so he said yes unaware that he had set expectations that high. He's only seen it after the bouts of heat yesterday, after which he remeasured the IEMs and messaged me immediately. Now, he did send me a graph comparing the SS and Brass. Sure enough, although the changes are similar (if not the same) in terms of where the peaks and dips are in relation to Crinacle's graphs, the amplitudes are very different. It's much closer between the two than Crinacle's graph suggests. I was asked not to share these measurements, which I will comply with.

Now, he did provide a possible reason as to why Crinacle's graph is as off as it is. Apparently, some early demos of the Trinity SS had a problem where acrylic resin on the inside of the shells wouldn't cure properly. This was because the shell was so dark in colour. In some cases, it would cause a loose nozzle like the one I experienced (which was further exacerbated by the aforementioned (ab)use at CanJam Shanghai). Furthermore, there were cases where the resin would flow to the DD's back vent and clog it completely. Now thankfully, the problem was caught and resolved with new production processes before any retail units went out to paying customers, but there's a possibility that the unit Crinacle measured suffers from this problem. Unfortunately, Joseph does not know which unit Crinacle specifically measured, so he can't verify whether the graph discrepancy is down to a faulty unit or human error.

In my case, the nozzle issue only afflicts the right side of my Trinity SS loaner and I don't hear any channel imbalance, so I can assume that my unit is functionally fine. Though, I'll do more tests before I move forward with the Brass review, which will have comparisons against the SS in it.

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #15,280 of 39,414
Unfortunately, Joseph does not know which unit Crinacle specifically measured, so he can't verify whether the graph discrepancy is down to a faulty unit or human error.

Let it be on the record that on the day I tried the Trinity models, I visited Joseph at his own office. He personally handed me the units I listened to, he saw me graphing them out in person and I even specifically asked "do these look right to you?" after I did, which he semi-affirmed with the usual caveats of different IEC measurement rigs having slight differences to one another.

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #15,281 of 39,414
Let it be on the record that on the day I tried the Trinity models, I visited Joseph at his own office. He personally handed me the units I listened to, he saw me graphing them out in person and I even specifically asked "do these look right to you?" after I did, which he semi-affirmed with the usual caveats of different IEC measurement rigs having slight differences to one another.

Sure. I'm just passing along what he said.

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #15,285 of 39,414
Yeah my X1A had more solid jacks but still wiggly. I gave my sister a crash course on how to not destroy the gear when I gave it to her. I use to keep it in my pocket and I suspect that had to do with my SE Lionheart's plug falling apart. That ended that and it became inner pockets on jackets. Thankfully its a bit warmer the last couple of days so I've been able to switch to a switch with a much narrower pocket so that theres no pressure on the jack on both the DAP and cable. Almost had a heart attack getting my 1960 jack straighted out, currently enjoying it no cracks regardless of how I turn the jack. This setup is going in a pouch when Im on the go. No questions about it.

I'm not surprised that people think that you're a lot older. You have a way with words that people usually accumulate with age. I'm 27 and I still say something and go "did I just word it that way...?"
wait so is the fact that I'm also 21 not surprising because I'm a dumbass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back