flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 12, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #15,256 of 39,414
Just got the Dunu DK-4001 in. Nicely balanced sound, but nothing really good or bad jumping out at me just yet. Reminds me a little of the Andro (only a little tho). Definitely a higher tier of sound than other Dunu gear I've heard to date.

Was mainlymainly e to see the Dunu take on a switchable cable jack system a la the Dita Awesome plugs. Impressed with the quality and machining (it looks beautiful and clicks together perfectly). Not impressed with the huge length of the right angled connector when is assembled. Why didn't they make the connection separate to the plug (like an adapter)?!

Screenshot_2019-03-12-17-31-36-779_com.facebook.orca.jpg

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #15,257 of 39,414
Just got the Dunu DK-4001 in. Nicely balanced sound, but nothing really good or bad jumping out at me just yet. Reminds me a little of the Andro (only a little tho). Definitely a higher tier of sound than other Dunu gear I've heard to date.

Was mainlymainly e to see the Dunu take on a switchable cable jack system a la the Dita Awesome plugs. Impressed with the quality and machining (it looks beautiful and clicks together perfectly). Not impressed with the huge length of the right angled connector when is assembled. Why didn't they make the connection separate to the plug (like an adapter)?!

I saw that system on Instagram and I was super impressed as well. Personally, I prefer a singular, solid plug, rather than a wire to a plug like an adapter. The point where the plug adapts is always where the cable is weighed down most. This causes the cable to swing more in motion and mark down ergonomics. In some cases, it may also pull on the wire and cause contact loss. I'm only bothered by extra length when it comes to storing the cable and IEM in my zipper case.

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #15,258 of 39,414
I saw that system on Instagram and I was super impressed as well. Personally, I prefer a singular, solid plug, rather than a wire to a plug like an adapter. The point where the plug adapts is always where the cable is weighed down most. This causes the cable to swing more in motion and mark down ergonomics. In some cases, it may also pull on the wire and cause contact loss. I'm only bothered by extra length when it comes to storing the cable and IEM in my zipper case.

Forvstationary/sedentary listening, I agree with you, and the jack and connector are beautifully made. My concern is listening on the go - the extra length of the right angled connector means that if it does manage to come away from the same plane as the DAP in my pocket and then something pushed/pulls on it, I'm worried it will act like a lever and put undue pressure on the jack socket.

I broke an AK70 balanced socket a few years back with a shorter connector doing just that, so maybe it's just me.

Can't fault the build quality of design of the cable otherwise, though. In fact, the whole package is a real step up from Dunu - they include 2.5mm, 3.5mm SE, a new 3.5mm "Pro" (balanced) and 4.4mm connectors as standard. The only thing missing is XLR and Kobiconn... :wink:

Anyone have any experience with the new 3.5mm Pro? Apparently it's a new standard that is gaining popularity in China - can't seem to find any detail on whether it's different from the 3.5mm balanced people like Hifiman and IFI use already, though.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #15,259 of 39,414
**** I turn 22 this month. (congrats btw, you can soon drink)

My favorite whiskey of all! So smokey and smooth, it's like a bonfire in a bottle.

That looks nice! Never had that one before. I hardly ever drink, but when I do it is usually a quality Single Malt (eg. Oban).

Oban is great too, opposite flavor spectrum to Lagavulin, being even smoother yet sweeter with more of a caramel-like taste.

Both equally fantastic whiskeys, just catering to different preferences. The connection to high end audio is of course obvious :L3000:

Mar 12, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #15,260 of 39,414
My favorite whiskey of all! So smokey and smooth, it's like a bonfire in a bottle.
Oban is great too, opposite flavor spectrum to Lagavulin, being even smoother yet sweeter with more of a caramel-like taste.
Both equally fantastic whiskeys, just catering to different preferences. The connection to high end audio is of course obvious :L3000:

Very good one indeed, a classic... more of a Macallan 18 kind of guy (but Auchentoshan can’t hurt either), or Hibiki 17 years which is so hard to find... some of the Nikka as well... I am a sucker for Japanese whiskey, those share the Scottish spirit with a feminine touch... yum!

A nice treat when auditionning music for sure :D

Mar 12, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #15,261 of 39,414
Forvstationary/sedentary listening, I agree with you, and the jack and connector are beautifully made. My concern is listening on the go - the extra length of the right angled connector means that if it does manage to come away from the same plane as the DAP in my pocket and then something pushed/pulls on it, I'm worried it will act like a lever and put undue pressure on the jack socket.

I broke an AK70 balanced socket a few years back with a shorter connector doing just that, so maybe it's just me.

Can't fault the build quality of design of the cable otherwise, though. In fact, the whole package is a real step up from Dunu - they include 2.5mm, 3.5mm SE, a new 3.5mm "Pro" (balanced) and 4.4mm connectors as standard. The only thing missing is XLR and Kobiconn... :wink:

Anyone have any experience with the new 3.5mm Pro? Apparently it's a new standard that is gaining popularity in China - can't seem to find any detail on whether it's different from the 3.5mm balanced people like Hifiman and IFI use already, though.

Ah, our discrepancy comes from the fact that you put your DAP in your pants pocket. I have a pouch that I hang off of a belt loop, so I never encounter that problem.

Mar 12, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #15,262 of 39,414
1552421010797..jpg
Did someone say "deliciously smoky Scottish single malt"? :wink:

Mar 12, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #15,264 of 39,414
Did someone say "deliciously smoky Scottish single malt"? :wink:

I got one just like it here as well :)
This is great with smoked salmon :D

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #15,265 of 39,414
The cable construction caught my attention too. If they sold it separately as accessories, it might be something many would be looking for given its versatility.

10256967.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #15,267 of 39,414

Yep same here man I would never leave my house with a DAP that requires an adapter of any kind. I prefer the sound of my Pioneer XDP-300R to my Sony ZX-300 but the Pioneer requires an unruly 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter in order to use my Sony IER-M9 with it and I'd never consider doing anything but enjoying it in my chair or around the house. Plus the 300R already has a pretty brittle 2.5mm jack as it is, so I probably wouldn't feel ok with leaving the house with it even if it didn't have a long ass adapter attached to it. I did apply some epoxy around both jacks on the 300R which has given me peace of mind but I still just feel better chilling on the couch with it. Now my ZX300 is a little tank and I take it anywhere. I use it at work every day and am very much confident in its' construction.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #15,268 of 39,414
Ah, our discrepancy comes from the fact that you put your DAP in your pants pocket. I have a pouch that I hang off of a belt loop, so I never encounter that problem.
Daniel, curious if you've ever bent any jacks before using the pouch? Ive been sticking my SE100 in the inside pocket of my winter jacket, and a lot of times it ends up with the SE100 on the side with some force on the plug. I noticed some crackling recently whenever that happens and the plug seems to have developed a slight bent which at a certain messes with the connection. Spent half an hour or so slowly getting it straight (while praying to the cable gods to not snap the jack) and want to avoid this situation in the future.

Also, you're only 21?! I guessed much older.

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #15,269 of 39,414
Daniel, curious if you've ever bent any jacks before using the pouch? Ive been sticking my SE100 in the inside pocket of my winter jacket, and a lot of times it ends up with the SE100 on the side with some force on the plug. I noticed some crackling recently whenever that happens and the plug seems to have developed a slight bent which at a certain messes with the connection. Spent half an hour or so slowly getting it straight (while praying to the cable gods to not snap the jack) and want to avoid this situation in the future.

Also, you're only 21?! I guessed much older.
Good thing this didn't happen while using the Onkyo cause it would've snapped the jack right out haha. I have the Pioneer so I know the feeling of walking around on eggshells while using a DAP.

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #15,270 of 39,414
Good thing this didn't happen while using the Onkyo cause it would've snapped the jack right out haha. I have the Pioneer so I know the feeling of walking around on eggshells while using a DAP.
The DPX1A was pretty solid, but most likely because when I was using it, it wasnt in my winter jacket with the player at that angle I mentioned. There was a very slight bent I noticed on the Leo II with the SE100 in my pocket, but Im guessing because it was flush it was very minor, there wasnt much room for it to bend. My 1960 has the collored Furutech 2.5mm plug which I noticed is more prone to bends in general. I much rather lug around the SE100 in a pouch if it means the plug stays straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back