flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 10, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #15,122 of 39,414
The Layla’s reverse-V shape comes from its laid-back upper-midrange. It creates a more spherical stage that’s even all around. The A18t has a spacious stage as well, but what makes it seem less vacant is the largeness of its instruments. This stems from a more energetic upper-midrange and a more articulate, present treble. So, the amount of available space between the two is similar, but the Layla’s images are more compact, while the A18t’s are larger; more spread out.
How do the Trinity ss and Davinci X compare to the Zeus ( have the XRA Adel version).

Mar 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #15,123 of 39,414
How do the Trinity ss and Davinci X compare to the Zeus ( have the XRA Adel version).

I haven't heard the Da Vinci X yet, but the Trinity SS and Brass have sound signatures that are A18t-esque. So, the mids will be positioned further back and leaner compared to the Zeus-XIV, and leaner compared to the Zeus-R. I believe the ADEL variant gave the Zeus's a brighter treble, so in that regard, they'd be similar. Down low, the Trinity SS and Brass with their dynamic drivers absolutely take the cake. It's in-line with the rest of the signature like the Zeus's low-end, but when the track calls for it, the Trinity SS and Brass beat the Zeus in texture, physicality and gusto by quite the margin.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #15,125 of 39,414
I have not heard anything recently, especially not the Trinity, that made me feel it was a clear upgrade versus the former generation of Flagships (Zeus, VE8, SE5U to name some of the best), apart from maybe the SE6 and even then not night and day. The only one that was noticeable to me was the Solaris, and the Z1R despite its huge flaws. I haven't heard the Khan though. I haven't heard the U18t, just the Fourte, which sounds impressive but fake.

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #15,126 of 39,414
I think some of the most exciting "progress" is currently being made in what is now called the mid-fi tier (under $1000). The number of IEMs that are pushing the performance towards what was previously considered top tier seems to be hitting a purple patch. Looking forward to the trickle down of newer tech like ceramic / piezoelectric / electrostatic into the more affordable end of audiophilia in due course.

Picked up the Dunu DK-4001 on a very good deal this week, so looking forward to hearing where they can go with a honking big 14mm beryllium driver and some BAs once it arrives. Very interested to see how they implement the changeable cable tips, too - if they can keep the price down to a reasonable amount, definitely interesting to see manufacturers following Dita's lead and offering one cable with multiple connectors

Also enjoying the AKG N5005 and IMR R1Zenith at the moment (another 14mm beryllium DD, but with a ceramic tweeter instead of BAs). Been a good few weeks for hybrids! :wink:

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #15,127 of 39,414
I have not heard anything recently, especially not the Trinity, that made me feel it was a clear upgrade versus the former generation of Flagships (Zeus, VE8, SE5U to name some of the best)
I think it's a "rendez-vous manqué" for the Trinity. Real upgrade compare to Zeus XIV for me.
On the other hand, I find that the Solaris are clearly not playing same league then the one's you listed.

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #15,128 of 39,414
I think some of the most exciting "progress" is currently being made in what is now called the mid-fi tier (under $1000). The number of IEMs that are pushing the performance towards what was previously considered top tier seems to be hitting a purple patch. Looking forward to the trickle down of newer tech like ceramic / piezoelectric / electrostatic into the more affordable end of audiophilia in due course.

Picked up the Dunu DK-4001 on a very good deal this week, so looking forward to hearing where they can go with a honking big 14mm beryllium driver and some BAs once it arrives. Very interested to see how they implement the changeable cable tips, too - if they can keep the price down to a reasonable amount, definitely interesting to see manufacturers following Dita's lead and offering one cable with multiple connectors

Also enjoying the AKG N5005 and IMR R1Zenith at the moment (another 14mm beryllium DD, but with a ceramic tweeter instead of BAs). Been a good few weeks for hybrids! :wink:
Funny thing while I was looking at oBravo recently. They are mostly known because of their Ra C-Cu (now on sale at Audio Sanctuary, btw, 40% off) and while they have the most expensive production IEMs in the world, they also seem to have the cheapest planar hybrids as well, the ERIB-8 (8mm PMD, 6mm DD) at only £199. Looks good (no idea how they sound)...
erib-81-300x200.jpg
erib-8-300x200.jpg

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #15,129 of 39,414

Indeed, hopefully the trickle down will also serve to lower the prices somewhat. I trust none of us can crap out gold bars.

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #15,130 of 39,414
Funny thing while I was looking at oBravo recently. They are mostly known because of their Ra C-Cu (now on sale at Audio Sanctuary, btw, 40% off) and while they have the most expensive production IEMs in the world, they also seem to have the cheapest planar hybrids as well, the ERIB-8 (8mm PMD, 6mm DD) at only £199. Looks good (no idea how they sound)...
erib-81-300x200.jpg
erib-8-300x200.jpg

The interesting thing about Obravo is that they are based in Taiwan, but remained relatively unknown within the island until this past year or so.

I recently joined a crowdfunding campaign for their closed back headphone: HAMT3. Had a chance to audition it before joining the campaign and hopefully will be getting the final product by the end of April.

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #15,131 of 39,414
The interesting thing about Obravo is that they are based in Taiwan, but remained relatively unknown within the island until this past year or so.

I recently joined a crowdfunding campaign for their closed back headphone: HAMT3. Had a chance to audition it before joining the campaign and hopefully will be getting the final product by the end of April.
I think oBravo has something a bit mysterious about it and I am kicking myself that I did not demo some of their IEMs while I was still living in London. I am still very interested in learning more about them and the idea behind the design choices (PMD vs AMT, material such as aluminium, wood and ceramics, etc).

@twister6 has one of the new headphones in for a review:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/obr...hones-land-in-uk.788445/page-26#post-14824378
Hope you get yours soon! I am very curious to learn more about them.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #15,133 of 39,414
I think oBravo has something a bit mysterious about it and I am kicking myself that I did not demo some of their IEMs while I was still living in London. I am still very interested in learning more about them and the idea behind the design choices (PMD vs AMT, material such as aluminium, wood and ceramics, etc).

@twister6 has one of the new headphones in for a review:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/obr...hones-land-in-uk.788445/page-26#post-14824378
Hope you get yours soon! I am very curious to learn more about them.
Good sound but not worth the price, even at -40%. Plus impossible to drive without an amp.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #15,134 of 39,414
I haven't heard the Da Vinci X yet, but the Trinity SS and Brass have sound signatures that are A18t-esque. So, the mids will be positioned further back and leaner compared to the Zeus-XIV, and leaner compared to the Zeus-R. I believe the ADEL variant gave the Zeus's a brighter treble, so in that regard, they'd be similar. Down low, the Trinity SS and Brass with their dynamic drivers absolutely take the cake. It's in-line with the rest of the signature like the Zeus's low-end, but when the track calls for it, the Trinity SS and Brass beat the Zeus in texture, physicality and gusto by quite the margin.
I read somewhere that the SS and the Brass are different due to the different nozzle materials and the internals are the same. Though I haven't heard the Trinity, I find this quite dubious. If there were to be a custom version, it wouldn't be able to have two different models then would it?

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #15,135 of 39,414
Since the Broadway is balanced only, and I have the WM1Z as only balanced source, I need to wait for my 4.4 to dual xlr cable.

Hmm, did I miss your Broadway amp post on FB/head-pie? Can't find it. So, you got the balanced version, not Broadway S version? I heard the balanced version hisses like SOB even with semi-sensitive iems, one of the reasons I stayed away from it. Curious to hear from you how it sounds. XIAudio and Abyss/JPS are often collaborating, so I would assume the balanced version was more for their demanding cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back