flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 11, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #15,136 of 39,414
Hmm, did I miss your Broadway amp post on FB/head-pie? Can't find it. So, you got the balanced version, not Broadway S version? I heard the balanced version hisses like SOB even with semi-sensitive iems, one of the reasons I stayed away from it. Curious to hear from you how it sounds. XIAudio and Abyss/JPS are often collaborating, so I would assume the balanced version was more for their demanding cans.
I got it on trial for a week. It is the balanced. The SE6 never hisses, so let us see...

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #15,137 of 39,414
What about the Davinci X vs Trinity ss?

As I said in my reply to you, I haven't heard it yet.

I read somewhere that the SS and the Brass are different due to the different nozzle materials and the internals are the same. Though I haven't heard the Trinity, I find this quite dubious. If there were to be a custom version, it wouldn't be able to have two different models then would it?

This is true. I asked Joseph and he confirmed the internals are indeed the same. There's both subjective and objective evidence for this. @crinacle's measurements show significant differences between the two. I currently have both version with me and I can confirm that they do indeed sound quite different. I believe the differences come down to the individual resonances of the metals. I asked Joseph which direction the custom would ultimately lean towards, and he said he's still undecided. I personally suggested interchangeable sound tubes, so the user can have either the Brass or SS sound, but manufacturing that and conceiving a reliable installation system won't be easy.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #15,138 of 39,414
This is true. I asked Joseph and he confirmed the internals are indeed the same. There's both subjective and objective evidence for this. @crinacle's measurements show significant differences between the two. I currently have both version with me and I can confirm that they do indeed sound quite different. I believe the differences come down to the individual resonances of the metals. I asked Joseph which direction the custom would ultimately lean towards, and he said he's still undecided. I personally suggested interchangeable sound tubes, so the user can have either the Brass or SS sound, but manufacturing that and conceiving a reliable installation system won't be easy.
Material differences are still beyond my mental capacity at the moment, it's quite interesting though. I feel like, considering the "house" sound of Jomo, it might lean towards the SS. Interchangeable sound tubes sounds like the best idea, but indeed, it'll be ridiculously difficult. I was thinking of something a little more ridiculous, with a non-switchable custom metal nozzle. which in hindsight would probably result in a lot of unit variation.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #15,139 of 39,414
Material differences are still beyond my mental capacity at the moment, it's quite interesting though. I feel like, considering the "house" sound of Jomo, it might lean towards the SS. Interchangeable sound tubes sounds like the best idea, but indeed, it'll be ridiculously difficult. I was thinking of something a little more ridiculous, with a non-switchable custom metal nozzle. which in hindsight would probably result in a lot of unit variation.

I don't know. If that's indeed the case, I think the heaps of praise I'll be putting onto the Brass will give Joseph reason to reconsider. :wink: Unless the metal has to be of a certain volume for those tuning variances to occur, I think metal sound tubes can serve as decent substitutes for the nozzle. Custom metal nozzles would be impossible.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #15,140 of 39,414
I don't know. If that's indeed the case, I think the heaps of praise I'll be putting onto the Brass will give Joseph reason to reconsider. :wink: Unless the metal has to be of a certain volume for those tuning variances to occur, I think metal sound tubes can serve as decent substitutes for the nozzle. Custom metal nozzles would be impossible.

Nope. Enter: 3D metal printing.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #15,141 of 39,414
Oh, do you mean like really small tubes for each sound bore? I have a dumb idea but I imagine that you can have different combinations for each of the three sound bores and mix and match them for even more fine tuning.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #15,142 of 39,414
Oh, I forgot to ask, on the brass and steel variants, is there any variation between the bore diameters that might also contribute to change in coloration?

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #15,143 of 39,414
Good sound but not worth the price, even at -40%. Plus impossible to drive without an amp.
Is that the case for all oBravo, or just the top end models like the Ra? The Ra do not actually interest me that much. At that price and if I were looking for anything tied to an amp, I would go for headphones with a really good desktop DAC+Amp. Lately I have been eyeing headphones more than IEMs anyway, but I am still very curious about the lower/mid tier models from oBravo, say, up to the ceramic ERIB-2C. It might be that especially the AMT drivers require an amp. That was one of the things I was really interested in, to get a sense of the line-up and understand which models suit which purpose. That is so hard to understand from the website, as there are very few specs and I suspect some specs might be incorrect (EAMT models listed with PMD tweeters).

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #15,144 of 39,414
Nope. Enter: 3D metal printing.

Woops, poor choice of words on my part. What I meant to say was despite the available techniques capable of fabricating such a nozzle (such as the ones used by K2Craft, Soranik and FitEar among others), I find it highly improbable that Jomo would add even more cost and labour (not to mention jacking up the already sumptuous price) to the Trinity’s already-complex production process. A metal nozzle would require the shell and canal parts to be manufactured separately and would also require the reliable, stable fusion of acrylic and metal. Impossible it is not, but massively improbably it is.

Oh, do you mean like really small tubes for each sound bore? I have a dumb idea but I imagine that you can have different combinations for each of the three sound bores and mix and match them for even more fine tuning.

I pitched this to Joseph too. He said he’ll think about it.

Oh, I forgot to ask, on the brass and steel variants, is there any variation between the bore diameters that might also contribute to change in coloration?

Nope.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #15,145 of 39,414
Is that the case for all oBravo, or just the top end models like the Ra? The Ra do not actually interest me that much. At that price and if I were looking for anything tied to an amp, I would go for headphones with a really good desktop DAC+Amp. Lately I have been eyeing headphones more than IEMs anyway, but I am still very curious about the lower/mid tier models from oBravo, say, up to the ceramic ERIB-2C. It might be that especially the AMT drivers require an amp. That was one of the things I was really interested in, to get a sense of the line-up and understand which models suit which purpose. That is so hard to understand from the website, as there are very few specs and I suspect some specs might be incorrect (EAMT models listed with PMD tweeters).
The lower end of the lineup I didn't try, and there isn't much feedback. Ask Phil, he will help you out.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #15,146 of 39,414
The lower end of the lineup I didn't try, and there isn't much feedback. Ask Phil, he will help you out.
That always puzzled me. When I got started here on head-fi I was thinking about the lower models, but I went with the Ei.3 partly because so little feedback on the oBravo models could be found out there. I spoke to Phil already and will see if anything is possible. I have slowed down my reviewing for the next few weeks while I see where I am going job-wise.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #15,147 of 39,414
Like @Deezel177 said, no difference in diameter.
But shape isn't exactly the same, it certainly has an impact on the sound.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #15,148 of 39,414
Like @Deezel177 said, no difference in diameter.
But shape isn't exactly the same, it certainly has an impact on the sound.

The differences between the two are extremely minor. The very top of the SS nozzle is slightly more matte, so the slight curve into the bore is less visible than on the Brass. It’s exacerbated as well above by the angle of the photo above. Such a difference isn’t capable of producing that bug of an impact in sound, so the major factor is still the material itself.

8BF00C40-82CA-4686-8171-FEE84BCE3262.jpeg

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #15,149 of 39,414
@Deezel177
Off course major factor is the material.
But did not say shape was the major factor but only that it could have an impact with such difference as on the pics I posted, especially the little external beading we can see on the brass pic.
The ones you have in hand are visibly not the same than on the picture on Jomo website. It looks like difference is now minor.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #15,150 of 39,414
The differences between the two are extremely minor. The very top of the SS nozzle is slightly more matte, so the slight curve into the bore is less visible than on the Brass. It’s exacerbated as well above by the angle of the photo above. Such a difference isn’t capable of producing that bug of an impact in sound, so the major factor is still the material itself.

@Deezel177
Off course major factor is the material.
But did not say shape was the major factor but only that it could have an impact with such difference as on the pics I posted, especially the little external beading we can see on the brass pic.
The ones you have in hand are visibly not the same than on the picture on Jomo website. It looks like difference is now minor.

I have nothing to back that up, but I don't know how the material of the nozzle should impact sound. There is a well known product, the JVC-FD01, that has 3-4 changeable nozzles with different materials. It is quite populars, so users have measured the IEM with different nozzles, and frequency response is strictly identical (and so is sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back