FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #7,711 of 7,931
There is a British seller on eBay offering the FLC8S for ~$120. It says they have more than 10 in stock so it's not a one off. Is that Price reasonable nowadays or does it seem too cheap to be true?

I have bought some FLC8S from that eBay seller.
They are brand new, with their original packaging, and perfect performance.
But I don't like the original cable. Any recommendations for another cable that is compatible and not as expensive as the official ones?
In Aliexpress there are many high quality cables for about $ 10, but I don't know if those with a 0.75mm connector will be valid. Maybe http://s.aliexpress.com/V7vIjUv6 ?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #7,712 of 7,931
I have bought some FLC8S from that eBay seller.
They are brand new, with their original packaging, and perfect performance.
But I don't like the original cable. Any recommendations for another cable that is compatible and not as expensive as the official ones?
In Aliexpress there are many high quality cables for about $ 10, but I don't know if those with a 0.75mm connector will be valid. Maybe http://s.aliexpress.com/V7vIjUv6 ?

Thanks for you answer! I have also received mine from that seller yesterday and everything is good. Very happy with my purchase for that price.
However, coming from the Westone W4R, it does sound slightly harsh/sibilant to me in the treble at times, hopefully I can get used to it or figure out a way that works better for me.
I also dislike the thick nozzles and that they're not angled. When inserting deeply, the IEM angles out weirdly away from my head to where the cable doesn't really want to go over the ear but weirdly around and behind it:
AtbIfuB.png

Does anyone else have that issue? I can force it 'straight' and it's still fine but feels slightly weird coming from the W4R which i was able to insert deeper both due to the angles and the thinner nozzles.

As for the cable, there are a few suggestions in this thread, just search for 'cable' in the 'Search this thread...' box on the top right. From what I read so far, it seems like you can use 0.78mm connectors, but once you force them in, you can't go back to 0.75mm as the sockets will be stretched. There are also a few 0.75mm cable options.
Also, I read that the polarity of these sockets is different than most IEMs which further limits cable choice? My stock Westone W4R cable has the same polarity though so I'm not sure if that's true.

This is how my flc8s are cabled:
78yxO87.png

And my W4R are the same way. Is this uncommon for IEMs? If so, which one is switched here, L/G or R/G?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #7,713 of 7,931
That's not entirely accurate. .78mm cables will not work. Third party cables with .75 connectors have been known to "stretch" the sockets because the stock configuration is actually .74mm. This stretching will make the stock cable fit more loosely.

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #7,714 of 7,931
Thanks for you answer! I have also received mine from that seller yesterday and everything is good. Very happy with my purchase for that price.
However, coming from the Westone W4R, it does sound slightly harsh/sibilant to me in the treble at times, hopefully I can get used to it or figure out a way that works better for me.
I also dislike the thick nozzles and that they're not angled. When inserting deeply, the IEM angles out weirdly away from my head to where the cable doesn't really want to go over the ear but weirdly around and behind it:
AtbIfuB.png

Does anyone else have that issue? I can force it 'straight' and it's still fine but feels slightly weird coming from the W4R which i was able to insert deeper both due to the angles and the thinner nozzles.

As for the cable, there are a few suggestions in this thread, just search for 'cable' in the 'Search this thread...' box on the top right. From what I read so far, it seems like you can use 0.78mm connectors, but once you force them in, you can't go back to 0.75mm as the sockets will be stretched. There are also a few 0.75mm cable options.
Also, I read that the polarity of these sockets is different than most IEMs which further limits cable choice? My stock Westone W4R cable has the same polarity though so I'm not sure if that's true.

This is how my flc8s are cabled:
78yxO87.png

And my W4R are the same way. Is this uncommon for IEMs? If so, which one is switched here, L/G or R/G?

left and right channels polarities are officially explained here;
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flc...ressions-thread.777158/page-396#post-13178180

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #7,716 of 7,931
Nice iems with filters that fits many sound signatures

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #7,717 of 7,931
Yea, that checks out, thanks!

Did you end up building your own cable? Any pictures? I'm thinking about building one myself.
Did you find fitting 2pin connectors that connect seamlessly like the stock ones?

yep, I had a chance to source 0.74 connectors from taobao once and bought two pairs to try. came one piece faulty. also plastic parts were a bit rough..
built the cable with 5n occ copper cable and preferred it over stock but ended up selling flc8s, the cable is staying though..

IMG_20170129_141555s.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #7,718 of 7,931
yep, I had a chance to source 0.74 connectors from taobao once and bought two pairs to try. came one piece faulty. also plastic parts were a bit rough..
built the cable with 5n occ copper cable and preferred it over stock but ended up selling flc8s, the cable is staying though..

I want that cable! :)

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #7,719 of 7,931
Would you say that the newer FLC8D is a better buy today? Those are cheaper and better made than the S, but the bass and sub bass tuning is MIA. I also have issue with closed IEMS (some armature based for example) so I am inclining towards the FLC8S.

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #7,722 of 7,931
Both FLC8s and FLC8d are outstanding headphones and hugely underrated. I think you'd be happy with either one. The main differences I find are:

1) FLC8d has better ergonomics and better shaped cable-connector. (Although the cable appearance and manufacture appears to be identical.)
2) FLC8d has more bass (including more sub-bass) than the FLC8s. This is true even with the maximum ULF (red) and maximum LF (black) filters on the FLC8s.

The second point took me a bit of getting used to. I can still happily flip between either headphone. I might give a slight edge to the FLC8d, because I really like a decent sub-bass, but sometimes an overall brighter sound signature can reveal more detail. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #7,723 of 7,931
CSGLinux is on the right track in my view.

I also give a slight edge to the 8D. Its probably less accurate per se; but I like having some subbass. I use the 8D at home exclusively in balanced mode (though I do have some adaptors somewhere or other to make it 3.5 regular). I keep a regular 3.5 on the 8S and its my portable pair when I travel. Great for connecting to the airplane sound system, my notebook, and ipad.

Aug 24, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #7,724 of 7,931
Would you mind share the link? I couldn't find them. If that is so, I would buy them right away.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253759655160 (I just saw they're not shipping to USA, just some EU countries. Maybe try and contact the seller if they can ship to you)

As for the bass/subbass, I think the 8S has plenty. Its easily enough for me with grey/grey and too much with red/black so I imagine the 8D would be way too much unless you really like a ton of bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back