FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #7,681 of 7,931
Interesting (to me) thought. I had tried out multiple combinations on the 8S and ended up red - grey - gunmetal. So I figured on the 8D the same equivalent made sense. The 8D unit is after all tuned red - grey. And until now I had been running it just like my 8S; with gunmetal. Anyway I tried the gold instead of gunmetal on the 8D and lo and behold; I kind of like it. The treble is a bit smoother and the midrange is amped up a bit. This sort of addresses the issue that people have raised with the 8D and 8N; which is a somewhat elevated treble.

I run the 8D in balanced mode with the Cayin N5II. I use the 8s primarily in 3.5mm mode with my Shanling M0, M2S, the ipad pro, and my Surface. Plus of course airplanes....

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #7,682 of 7,931
Need help here. I am using flc 8s on my Samsung note 9. But recently I changed the cable to 2.5mm balanced cable. But upon plugging in a 3.5mm Male to 2.5mm female comverter. I tried with the new cable but unfortunately only the right channel has sound. Just want to know is it because of Samsung note 9 doesn't support a balanced channel play back? I am using poweramp fully paid version to play songs.

Jun 10, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #7,683 of 7,931
Need help here. I am using flc 8s on my Samsung note 9. But recently I changed the cable to 2.5mm balanced cable. But upon plugging in a 3.5mm Male to 2.5mm female comverter. I tried with the new cable but unfortunately only the right channel has sound. Just want to know is it because of Samsung note 9 doesn't support a balanced channel play back? I am using poweramp fully paid version to play songs.
If you have confirmed your balanced cable is ok, then it sounds like something is wrong with the adapter. All those adapters do is connect the L- and R- to a common ground.

Jun 10, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #7,684 of 7,931
you need a 3.5mm TRS single end male to 2.5mm TRRS (balanced, not single end) female adapter.
if you are using a <$4 adapter, it is 3.5mm to 2.5mm, both single end, surely: that doesn't serve.
also, remember to push the jacks all the way long.
here you have some valid adapters: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/res...omments-and-links.907998/page-2#post-14985730

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #7,685 of 7,931
you need a 3.5mm TRS single end male to 2.5mm TRRS (balanced, not single end) female adapter.
if you are using a <$4 adapter, it is 3.5mm to 2.5mm, both single end, surely: that doesn't serve.
also, remember to push the jacks all the way long.
here you have some valid adapters: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/res...omments-and-links.907998/page-2#post-14985730

Thanks a bunch for the info! yes, i gotten myself some <$4 adapter. from the reference list, i am planning to get

50. FiiO BL35 cable.................................13..12..16.4..-
trs ground signal goes to trrs L-, but not to trrs R-, which is floating. no problem.

i am noob about the balanced channels, what does this mean? "trs ground signal goes to trrs L-, but not to trrs R-, which is floating. no problem." would this impact the listening experience?

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #7,686 of 7,931
Thanks a bunch for the info! yes, i gotten myself some <$4 adapter. from the reference list, i am planning to get

trs ground signal goes to trrs L-, but not to trrs R-, which is floating. no problem.

i am noob about the balanced channels, what does this mean? "trs ground signal goes to trrs L-, but not to trrs R-, which is floating. no problem." would this impact the listening experience?
the adapters serve to use a balanced ready cable and jack plugged into a single end output. of course, you are not getting balanced sound because output is single end.
the adapters connects ground (flat) from single end output to L- and R- pins of your balanced jack. so you get L+, ground (instead of L-) at left, and R+, ground (instead of R-) at right side.
in the case of this FiiO adapter, ground is not connected to R- pin, which is floating (at least in the unit i got).
this could provoke some imbalance between left and right signals, but guess the imbalance will be minimal or not noticeable, because difference of potential (V) between ground of your single end output and floating/air pin should be minimal as well.
however, guess shared ground for left and right in single end connection would be better (like done in the rest of the listed adapters).
maybe someone with better knowledge than me about this could confirm it.

Jun 11, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #7,687 of 7,931
The FLC wiring on its balanced TRRS cable plug is R-, R+, L+, L-, respectively. The standard TRS plug wiring is L, R, ground. The adapter should be connecting (from TRRS to TRS) L+ -> L, R+ -> R, L- -> ground and R- -> ground.

If you really have R- floating, that is a massive problem. You will certainly get a channel imbalance, because you'll have no signal at all going to the right channel. I can't imagine why anybody would make an adapter like that. IMHO, any 3.5 mm TRS (male) to 2.5 mm TRRS (female) adapter that leaves any of these connections floating is broken.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #7,688 of 7,931

The FLC wiring on its balanced TRRS cable plug is R-, R+, L+, L-, respectively. The standard TRS plug wiring is L, R, ground. The adapter should be connecting (from TRRS to TRS) L+ -> L, R+ -> R, L- -> ground and R- -> ground.

If you really have R- floating, that is a massive problem. You will certainly get a channel imbalance, because you'll have no signal at all going to the right channel. I can't imagine why anybody would make an adapter like that. IMHO, any 3.5 mm TRS (male) to 2.5 mm TRRS (female) adapter that leaves any of these connections floating is broken.
you are right, @csglinux . thanks so much.
i thought it wouldn't be a problem, because the cable was working ok, no imbalance.
R- is not floating, it's connected to ground.
i got a problem when measuring resistance, because the 2.5mm plug i was using to measure is a bit short, and the tip (R-) wasn't reaching the R- adapter contact (deepest one).
am going to update the measurements and comments of my list.

so, @HouJaI82 , this fiio adapter is safe, but better if the 2.5mm jack of your cable is long enough (you'll have to push it all the way long to get sound at right side).

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #7,690 of 7,931
you are right, @csglinux . thanks so much.
i thought it wouldn't be a problem, because the cable was working ok, no imbalance.
R- is not floating, it's connected to ground.
i got a problem when measuring resistance, because the 2.5mm plug i was using to measure is a bit short, and the tip (R-) wasn't reaching the R- adapter contact (deepest one).
am going to update the measurements and comments of my list.

so, @HouJaI82 , this fiio adapter is safe, but better if the 2.5mm jack of your cable is long enough (you'll have to push it all the way long to get sound at right side).

2019-06-13.jpg

sry to ask again, the FLC 2.5 mm cable that i got is as attached picture. appreciate your help to advice me which converter is suitable for this?

will this be ok?

okcsc angled:.........12/13/12/14/12/12..17/14/12/14/13/14..10/12/11/12/9/12..11/13/13/14/15/21
cheapest, but nice built.
links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32865122372.html

Jun 14, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #7,691 of 7,931
2019-06-13.jpg

sry to ask again, the FLC 2.5 mm cable that i got is as attached picture. appreciate your help to advice me which converter is suitable for this?

will this be ok?

okcsc angled:.........12/13/12/14/12/12..17/14/12/14/13/14..10/12/11/12/9/12..11/13/13/14/15/21
cheapest, but nice built.
links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32865122372.html
yes, it is.
about getting straight or angled adapter, calculate the result shape of adding the adapter to your angled flc8s plug, to check it fits your wish

Jun 19, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #7,695 of 7,931
So, I'm having some real difficulty finding tips that actually work for me. So far (apart from all the stock ones which don't work at all for me), I've tried the Sony Hybrids (whatever the regular Sony ones are) and then Spin fits, both, small, medium, and then small bi-flange and large bi-flange. The best so far are the small regular, although I guess I need to work on how to insert them, but I'm still having difficulty with having a good fit. I love the FLC sound and the tips are the only problem for me. Should I try spiral dots? I was thinking of getting MS sized to start and see what I feel about them.

Also I was considering trying getting Custom IEM tips for these - does anyone have experience with this? I previously did get a custom IEM made for me (JH audio 3 I think) but they never worked out for me. First of all the sound isn't that great and I had to actually get it remolded twice and sent it back quite a few times because the seal wasn't working on one ear. In fact they're still currently not sealing as I gave up on them.

Having said that, any suggestions or ideas? I figure I could also try comply, but having used them in the past, they're such a pain to insert and take out and probably would be unusable. Not to mention to degradation over time. Thanks for help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back