FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #5,926 of 7,931
  hi,
i want to build a custom cable for my flc8s;
i tried to find out signal and ground pins on the cable socket but instead confused a lot..
my measurements are attached below but there should be a mistake somewhere..

so my question is which pin is signal, which pin is ground? @Flcforrestwei?
thanks in advance..

L: B is Ground
R: A is Ground

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #5,928 of 7,931
  Or maybe we need to get LZ to send some LZ-A4 pairs to Nik and Brooko who I think have all the other key players in the $200-$350  price range.  I mean they could send me a pair also....but my reviews are not as detailed as theirs.  I know I use their reviews when I go to tune my pair of FLC8S.

Don't belittle yourself snuff - I enjoy your reviews.  Would be nice if they could get a pair of the LZs to someone with a measurement rig who doesn't mind posting graphs. Niks is good - I know exactly how to read his. If he's willing to review them anyway.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #5,929 of 7,931
I just got my FLC8s from Headphoniaks and my first impressions are very good. However, I'm hearing a lot of distortion with some tracks that have a lot of low-end. I'm using it in combination with a Dragonfly Red which has always performed very well with my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (except at the highest volume, but I always thought that this was a problem with the HD 380), but the strange thing is that I'm not hearing any distortion when listening to the same tracks directly on my iPhone with the FLC8s. These are the tracks that I'm talking about (distortion is noticeable right at the beginning of each track):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yv3TX8Zrg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_-652XeeyA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRxHw0nHagQ

Other tracks that have a lot of low-end don't distort at all, like this one for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S7vt4WzyRc

(Don't worry, I listen to other types of music too :wink: )

So the situation is basically like this:
  1. FLC8s + Dragonfly Red: distortion on the first three tracks mentioned above even at low volume
  2. FLC8s directly on iPhone: no distortion on the first three tracks mentioned above
  3. HD380 Pro + Dragonfly Red: no distortion on the first three tracks mentioned except at the highest volume
  4. HD380 Pro directly on iPhone: no distortion, even at the highest volume

I'm also experiencing the same distortion that this guy is mentioning here with the same song and the Dragonfly: www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/45#post_12555838

Does anybody combine the FLC8s with a Dragonfly Red and experience the same issues? I've tried various filter combinations on the FLC8s but they all seem to have the same problem, right now I'm using gray-red-gold. I'm a bit afraid that the FLC8s is actually revealing some nasty details of my Dragonfly Red that I haven't really been able to hear before with my HD 380 Pro. Almost tempted to bite the bullet and just order a Chord Mojo...

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #5,931 of 7,931
I have always been most sub-bass, most LF, but I vary on the others.  I listen to primarily electronic.  I thought that the black was my favorite.  Then I thought the Gold was my favorite.  I was always too afraid to put in the Greens, as I thought it would be painful.  I just put them in and they aren't half as bad as I was afraid of!  Definitely lots of sparkle, but its not painful to me.  I'm not Treble sensitive though, so I could see this being too much for some.  However, it is a fun sound.  I have yet to find a filter combination that is completely awful; like I have with any other "sound filter" system.  I remember the Greens on the PFE232 (the antithesis of the greens on the FLC8s) which were supposed to give you "more bass."  The music because muddied and useless.  The High filters on the K3003 distorted the sound too much.  However, the FLC8s' filters truly give you 20 headphones in one; all with great sound!

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #5,932 of 7,931
I just got my FLC8s from Headphoniaks and my first impressions are very good. However, I'm hearing a lot of distortion with some tracks that have a lot of low-end. I'm using it in combination with a Dragonfly Red which has always performed very well with my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (except at the highest volume, but I always thought that this was a problem with the HD 380), but the strange thing is that I'm not hearing any distortion when listening to the same tracks directly on my iPhone with the FLC8s. These are the tracks that I'm talking about (distortion is noticeable right at the beginning of each track):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yv3TX8Zrg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_-652XeeyA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRxHw0nHagQ

Other tracks that have a lot of low-end don't distort at all, like this one for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S7vt4WzyRc

(Don't worry, I listen to other types of music too :wink: )

So the situation is basically like this:
  • [COLOR=B22222]FLC8s + Dragonfly Red: distortion on the first three tracks mentioned above even at low volume[/COLOR]
  • FLC8s directly on iPhone: no distortion on the first three tracks mentioned above
  • HD380 Pro + Dragonfly Red: no distortion on the first three tracks mentioned except at the highest volume
  • HD380 Pro directly on iPhone: no distortion, even at the highest volume

I'm also experiencing the same distortion that this guy is mentioning here with the same song and the Dragonfly: www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/45#post_12555838

Does anybody combine the FLC8s with a Dragonfly Red and experience the same issues? I've tried various filter combinations on the FLC8s but they all seem to have the same problem, right now I'm using gray-red-gold. I'm a bit afraid that the FLC8s is actually revealing some nasty details of my Dragonfly Red that I haven't really been able to hear before with my HD 380 Pro. Almost tempted to bite the bullet and just order a Chord Mojo...

how high are you?

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #5,934 of 7,931
Don't belittle yourself snuff - I enjoy your reviews.  Would be nice if they could get a pair of the LZs to someone with a measurement rig who doesn't mind posting graphs. Niks is good - I know exactly how to read his. If he's willing to review them anyway.

Assuming you are taking about this Nik, thanks for the kind words, Paul. If I was sent a pair of LZ-A4, if certainly be up for testing then out and sharing my thoughts on them with the community.

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #5,935 of 7,931
Has anyone purchased these cables as replacements for the FLC8S?
They are supposed to be for TF10 but they seem to fit somewhat okay. Not a perfect fit but they work. They seem to tweak the sound quality a bit but its hard to identify exactly what without AB comparison. Just on memory alone however:

The mids feel more present but the bass seems a little heavier and not as tight and controlled. Sub bass seems more noticeable. Not a bad thing per say but I was kind of getting to like the tight and refined sound from the entire sound spectrum of this IEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201149660246?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=500311063859&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I may also be imagining it, but when I replace the filters, I think these cables are a bit more representative of the filters I included. The mids are definitely much more pronounced while the treble is there but not as harsh as with stock cables.

My configuration is red, grey gold. 

Mids sound full and not thin like before. There was a level of crisp and air that I am not getting now.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #5,936 of 7,931
So I just got the FLC 8S and I'm very impressed! Whoever said they were a direct upgrade from the GR07 was right on the money! I very impressed with them. I'm also really surprised at how well they isolate o_O I wasn't expecting much because of the ports. I'm using the gray, gray, gold configuration and they sound like a refined GR07 Bass Edition IMO. These are now my daily drivers. They either beat or stack up well against everything in my inventory (see signature). I definitely need to consider selling some stuff now. If the 8S is any indication of what we can expect from the Celeste, I'm ready to sell the farm for those bad boys!
basshead.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #5,937 of 7,931
So I just got the FLC 8S and I'm very impressed! Whoever said they were a direct upgrade from the GR07 was right on the money! I very impressed with them. I'm also really surprised at how well they isolate o_O I wasn't expecting much because of the ports. I'm using the gray, gray, gold configuration and they sound like a refined GR07 Bass Edition IMO. These are now my daily drivers. They either beat or stack up well against everything in my inventory (see signature). I definitely need to consider selling some stuff now. If the 8S is any indication of what we can expect from the Celeste, I'm ready to sell the farm for those bad boys!
:basshead:  
i upgraded from havi to flc8s to fidue a91.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #5,939 of 7,931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back