FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #6,376 of 7,931
Hi guys, I've been a silent reader and happy user of FLC 8s since the upgrade from FLC 8

But recently, disaster happened
I tried aftermarket cable and left unit stuck
I pulled too hard and broke my left unit
To make it worse, I bought the item overseas and it's not on warranty anymore
Is there any way to contact FLC technology? Tried looking at their website but can't find email information

Best thing I can do is inmail Forrest through linked but it will be really expensive to subscribe linkedin premium

Thanks in advance folks!

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to your FLC8s. That's why I don't change cables unless it is really necessary and unavoidable.

Forrest's e-mail address is forrestwei@163.com (http://www.head-fi.org/t/777158/#post_12646319), and he is also registered here on Head-Fi.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #6,377 of 7,931
With the 8S, I think people really should stick to one of the FLC cables, too much risk of damage with supposedly compatible cables due to the 1 mm difference in pin size of the 8S compared to the UE type pins. It sounds like a trivial difference but it's enough that the risk of damage is significant.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #6,378 of 7,931
I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to your FLC8s. That's why I don't change cables unless it is really necessary and unavoidable.

Forrest's e-mail address is forrestwei@163.com (http://www.head-fi.org/t/777158/#post_12646319), and he is also registered here on Head-Fi.

Thank you very very much brother, appreciate it

I have the flc upgrade cable and cables for TF10 (ue have different pin, about 1 mm apart)
Sometimes the pin is quite hard to pull compared with iems with recessed 2 pin socket for JH

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #6,379 of 7,931
So I am continuing to play with my newest toy, the LZ-A4.  And of course I needed to compare it to a similarly set up FLC8S.  

So I could not understand why the bass response for the FLC8S did not seem up to snuff.  Long story made short, yet another gray/black ULF filter had gone on vacation.  Everything was fine once that was replaced.  I even tried going from grey - grey - gunmetal (blue) to red - gray - gunmetal and grey - black - gunmetal once again.   But all roads led back to the neutral (ish) gray - grey - gunmetal.

I probably need to play with the LZ-A4 as right now in the neutral tuning for that unit I am actually getting less bass than with the FLC8S.  And from owning the LZ-A2 I know darned well that LZ knows how to do bass.

More playing to go.  But this does underscore my continuing saga of flying tuning pieces with the FLC8S.

EDIT:  Based on multiple inputs; I have decided to move from gray - gray - gunmetal to trying out gray - clear - gunmetal.  So far the mid-bass seems a bit more subdued but overall it is a likeable sound.

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #6,384 of 7,931
I got my FLC8S today and they sound pretty good. I hear more details and guitars sound better when compared to my Phonak PFEs. I also got a microphone remote cable off eBay that comes with exact pin sizing for FLC8S instead of the UE 2pin size for $40 so that was a nifty pickup. It's nice to have a remote for media controls.

Currently using gray/gray/gray filters, but mine came stock with gray/gray/gold. The vocals were pleasant, but I wanted an airier, concert hall presentation It's fun having filters to change the sound signature especially coming from Phonak PFEs which have only 2 possible filter tunings (still really good for the price and when they released).

Do green filters open up the soundstage and make it airier? I might also try having no LF and MF/HF filters as I saw in one review describing it as HD600 or 650 like.

--Edit--
I'm enjoying no MF/HF filter more than black or green filters. Vocals are less forward giving the soundstage more depth. Gold filters were great if you like that up close and personal feel.

As of filter combination - red/gray/gold is most popular?

Red/gray/gold is probably the most popular from what people have said.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #6,385 of 7,931
I got my FLC8S today and they sound pretty good. I hear more details and guitars sound better when compared to my Phonak PFEs. I also got a microphone remote cable off eBay that comes with exact pin sizing for FLC8S instead of the UE 2pin size for $40 so that was a nifty pickup. It's nice to have a remote for media controls.

Currently using gray/gray/gray filters, but mine came stock with gray/gray/gold. The vocals were pleasant, but I wanted an airier, concert hall presentation It's fun having filters to change the sound signature especially coming from Phonak PFEs which have only 2 possible filter tunings (still really good for the price and when they released).

Do green filters open up the soundstage and make it airier? I might also try having no LF and MF/HF filters as I saw in one review describing it as HD600 or 650 like.

--Edit--
I'm enjoying no MF/HF filter more than black or green filters. Vocals are less forward giving the soundstage more depth. Gold filters were great if you like that up close and personal feel.

Red/gray/gold is probably the most popular from what people have said.

Mind sharing which eBay cable that is?

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #6,386 of 7,931
What can I say? OMG! This resolution, this quality of sound...
Attached photo below (Seiko Prospex is an another gift from family).
20170427_185859.jpg

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #6,387 of 7,931
Got these in last week. Really impressed, especially the mids. Been rocking the red/grey/gold combo with the stock and spinfit tips. I got some MEE audio tips and found the triple flange to be the most comfortable, but the sound is different! Now I'm using the black/black/blue combo because its too harsh otherwise. Mids are no longer amazing too...

I really wish they made tune-able customs. Those would be my end game!

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #6,388 of 7,931
Try double flange from MEE also - for me stock black tips are a little better, but double flange are sitting more comfortable in my ears. Now I'm waiting for JVC Spiral Dots tips - some users say that they are the best tips for FLC. The only problem is delivery time - in my case tips coming from Japan.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #6,389 of 7,931
Right now I'm testing between clear/none/none and gray/gray/none. Gray/gray/none sounds more musical, reminds me of my HD598's soundstage and presentation, and it has more bass too.

@Brooko If you don't mind, would you be able to post an ARTA graph of the FLC8S with clear/none/none and gray/gray/none if you're free?

Mind sharing which eBay cable that is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLC-8S-Android-Cable-with-Remote-and-Mic/272562341199

The seller never specified the brand and when I asked they told me they made it themselves. When I got the cable, it turns out it was an Earmax cable. I see them being sold on Amazon, but I can't track down any official FLC8S cable from Earmax besides that eBay page. So far it's working okay, but the remote would randomly activate when I plug or unplug the cable after finding the 3.5mm jack is scratched up.

Could the gold plating on the headphone jack being scratched away cause this problem?

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #6,390 of 7,931
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back